• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My school won't show us our ranks (2 Viewers)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Can they do that?

Apparently they base their actions on the basis that its slack to display ranks of people to everyone... :rolleyes:
Well imo if ur ranked low enough to have reason to be sad, you'd likely wouldn't care in the first place.

Damn this sux.. other "better" schools have a sheet on a wall in the main quad or something and its updated fortnightly with the ranks of everyone in yr 11 and 12. Farout...

I haven't asked for my rank to be displayed to me confidentially but I doubt they'll give it to me. But legally can they keep my rank from being shown to ME and only me? Cos I'll be damned if they accidently reverse my digits or add a few zeros onto my rank and submit that to the UAC only to send a letter of apology moments after I see my crappy UAI... *shudder*

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i can understand them not posting a list of everyone and stuff like that, but if you go to them and just asked for yours, they should/have to tell you what # you are

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
um, we are told our ranks somtimes on reports ( once a year, but some years they dont give out ranks) but yeah, our school would never publicise ranks, that just wouldnt be right!

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
Isn't it a good thing to not see ur ranks :D

My school is one, which they post up everyone's rank after every test in front of respective staff rooms. Some times it can be disturbing and slack but its a pretty good way to start getting people motivated just to save themselves from getting embrassed

Giant Lobster

HSC
My school is one, which they post up everyone's rank after every test in front of respective staff rooms.
yeh u go to syd tech thats why

i wanna go there. :rolleyes: :p

i prefer the competitive "survival of the fittest" kind of environment they have in better selective schools... instead of the pansy, politically correct bullshit i endure in sefton.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
pft i go to selective and they dont post up ranks =.=

well they have ranking sheets but thats ONLY for sciences...

and we aint supposed to be able to look at it but we all look at it anyway...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I got mine on my reports, if they add a 0 to any of them I would do unspeakable things to them and their property. Grr stupid school (although it does make my five 1sts and one 3rd look good).

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
no it's a new law....with privacy and all that
but it's mainly a school policy, depends on your teachers, principals, decision makers

my school policy is not to publish ranks for students, it's a new rule which started back in yr11, but most of the teachers ignore it and gave it out anyway, except for this newbie teacher who followed the policy
most teachers are against not revealing ranks because it kinda stops competition and stops students to see how they are doing compare to others...
my year was the last year to get ranks in reports, i believe the start of this year, the school is no longer putting ranks into the reports, there is still total mark, which students can use to find their position, another thing is that they are putting in the standard distrubtion.....or something to that effect into the report to see the spread of the students in each subject, which at my school students of low callabra would mean an ugly number

Giant Lobster

HSC
yeh bell curves n bullcrap like standard deviation... all useless! i pretty much know my ranks for my exam marks, but am interested in overall...
i havent received my reports yet, but if i remember correctly, the score's gonna be accompanied with all this inane shit which don't mean anything. I want my ranks.

ill ask tomoro. i mean monday. damn forgot to ask today :(

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
yeh bell curves n bullcrap like standard deviation... all useless! i pretty much know my ranks for my exam marks, but am interested in overall...
i havent received my reports yet, but if i remember correctly, the score's gonna be accompanied with all this inane shit which don't mean anything. I want my ranks.

ill ask tomoro. i mean monday. damn forgot to ask today :(
yeh standard deviation! that's the one i was looking for......lol year 10 maths...haven't used it for so long forgot what it's called!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
But legally can they keep my rank from being shown to ME and only me?
No. You can obtain your ranks by making a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW). Of course, you shouldn't actually have to do that - just point it out to them, if they refuse. Any sensible school wouldn't be refusing in the first place. Bureaucracies can be so irritating at times.

Originally posted by redslert
no it's a new law....with privacy and all that
There is no such law. An individual student is always entitled to access their own results.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
There is no such law. An individual student is always entitled to access their own results.
alrite maybe i shouldn't have used the word 'law'...it's more a policy

teachers can't give out publicly results of an entire class because of some of the privacy issues other students may have...
so they just made it so that no one can get their ranks

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
mmm are teachers allowed to go up to the class and say
"the highest mark was xxxxx... with 90%

and the lowest mark with 6% was xxxxxx"

one of my teachers did that.... i found it pretty slack on the person who got the lowest....

i mean you just receive a bad test mark and then the teacher publicy announces your mark to the world.... very very slack =\ (no its not me)

Gemstone

I thought everyone got told their ranks.

We just get them written on our coversheet of all our assessments/exams along with our grade and mark.

That way not everyone has to know what you got though most people tell you anyway.

I don't think I would like them pinned up for everyone but I think you should gget them.

Gemma

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
In maths our teacher puts up a chart with our marks on it so we can see where we stand, no names just the marks and what class the mark came from, works pretty well.

santaslayer

HSC
We never got told our ranks at any stage in our HSC, we were refused full stop. We only got our ranks after they were published on the net at UAC!

Giant Lobster

HSC
We never got told our ranks at any stage in our HSC, we were refused full stop. We only got our ranks after they were published on the net at UAC!
see thats what I fear most...
In maths our teacher puts up a chart with our marks on it so we can see where we stand, no names just the marks and what class the mark came from, works pretty well.
yeah if my school did that it would be so much better. As if people r interested at WHO got the lowest mark, i just want to know what it is. Especially for subjects like english where it very well could have been me lol
"the highest mark was xxxxx... with 90%

and the lowest mark with 6% was xxxxxx"
haha that happened to me in yr 8 jap. I got 7/70 and the fob teacher announced me. I didnt mind tho, it was my moment of fame :p
but yeh as i said, all i want to know are the marks and corresp. ranks. Im not interested in who got what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)