• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My school won't show us our ranks (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I think you may find that schools are obligated to publish ranks on reports but are under no obligation to publish ranks in public. Privacy *is* an issue that is pushed within most schools (ie we take a blanket approach as its the safest in this age of litigation) plus there is an issue of competition (too long and too difficult to explain here but current 'educational theory' blah, blah, blah linked with increasing suicide rates blah blah blah....and Im not trivalising either issue as they are very serious.)

Its a bit strange that they wont reveal if you ask but that may be school policy as ranks do change and *some* students forget this (this is the policy at our school after one student threatened legal action when her ranks "changed" between reports....she kinda forgot that she did a number of assessments in between in a number of subjects!! (and that other people did improve as well....)
Maybe ask if it is "policy" and if so, when do they get reported......

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
In maths our teacher puts up a chart with our marks on it so we can see where we stand, no names just the marks and what class the mark came from, works pretty well.
yeh we get that with every assessment.. a scattergram
in our english one only 1 person got 8 then everyone else got 10 or above (out of 20) so that was pretty good

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ we ( in year 7 and 8) had scatergrams on the wall for maths .. but thats it. otherwise we just get told our marks and IF WE ARE LUCKY the teacher tells us the highest and lowest mark in the class, so we have something to compare too

Estel

Tutor
HSC
[BLOOD AND GORE AND GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE]
I know what I'll do if next year those stupid teachers don't give me my ranks...
[/BLOOD AND GORE AND GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE]

Well if you're in Sharp's class she always gives the highest marks anyway... and you have her for 4U don't you?... so hakuna matata... don't stress... same as Repin... and who gives a stuff 'bout the other subs...

Giant Lobster

HSC
yeh maybe i posted abit early.. its more than likely ill get my ranks in my reports. hmmm suicide rates...

mishka

HSC
N/A
I don't see the problem in getting your OWN ranks and marks, although our school can be pretty tight with marks (don't ask!) I guess in the end, they're your ranks and your marks, and you should have the right to know where you stand.

It's the only way you'll know if you're doing ok, or whether you need to start pulling your socks up!!!

astro

HSC
i think we are getting our ranks and assessment marks in our half yealy reports (which i'm dreading...esp. maths)......the teachers aren't allowed to really publicise the full ranks....sometimes they tell us who would come first and/or second in exams

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
My english teacher read out our ranks and exam ranking, but she asked each person if they want it read out first.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mishka
It's the only way you'll know if you're doing ok, or whether you need to start pulling your socks up!!!
Surely you could/would know this already??

If you didnt/couldnt work this out, maybe you shouldnt be doing the HSC!!

j/jk

LOL

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i was able to guess most of my ranks before the half yearly report was given out except for the subjects with heaps of people in it like maths and english...

Kuya

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Can they do that?

Apparently they base their actions on the basis that its slack to display ranks of people to everyone... :rolleyes:
Well imo if ur ranked low enough to have reason to be sad, you'd likely wouldn't care in the first place.

Damn this sux.. other "better" schools have a sheet on a wall in the main quad or something and its updated fortnightly with the ranks of everyone in yr 11 and 12. Farout...

I haven't asked for my rank to be displayed to me confidentially but I doubt they'll give it to me. But legally can they keep my rank from being shown to ME and only me? Cos I'll be damned if they accidently reverse my digits or add a few zeros onto my rank and submit that to the UAC only to send a letter of apology moments after I see my crappy UAI... *shudder*

what school do you go to? they show ranks at my school.. its in our reports.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I say if you can't count on one hand the people who beat you, you don't really want to know your rank... :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Estel
I say if you can't count on one hand the people who beat you, you don't really want to know your rank... :p
What if you go to JR and think your coming 7th? It's always handy to know your ranks.

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
But I don't go to JR, or anything near as nerdy. So I don't need to worry about that. :p

Giant Lobster

HSC
bah i just asked today.. seems like we don't get our ranks. not even confidentially :(

swear ever since our old principal ran off to sydney boys everything started fucking up... quality of teachers, teaching, school, policies, and quality of students at sefton :rolleyes:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
We were the last grade to take the test when Sefton was under Jaggar... :)

Don't you get your ranks in your report?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well, if they furnish you with the proper statistics (mean, standard deviation) you can approximate your rank anyway.

And if they don't, your mark is completely meaningless. :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Can you explain the Freedom of Information Act and all that other lawyer babble? :)

I want my rank...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)