My Senior Subject Selections...good?? (1 Viewer)

thrash4life

HSC
hi everybody, this is the subjects i got for year 11 and 12... (i dunno the units =S)

catholic studies (compulsory)
eng standard (compulsory)
maths
chemistry
geo
music
multimedia

...im aspiring to be a sound engineer/audio technician.

...but after i leave school i either wanna do a uni course on audio/visual/multimedia stuff or if thats not possible, probably a course on agriculture/horticulture.

are these good choices to follow my career path ?
what subjects should i have chosen insead ?
will i have a hard time with these subjects ?
am i able to get a good UAI with this combination of subjects?
etc etc

thx in advance dudes

backrowcentre

HSC
Hey.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you need physics for any kind of engineering???
And, why is standard english compulsory? or do you mean 2 units of english is?

And you can get a good UAI with any combination of subjects as long as you put the effort in, and liking the subject helps.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Not sure about sound engineering, but most other forms of engineering definately would have physics as recommended knowledge - chemistry too in some cases. I'm planning to do a combined degree with a Bachelor of Engineering, so that's why I'm doing those subjects in addition to the required Extension Maths.

As for whether they're good subject choices, you'll have to check the stuff you need for your university course. I'm only familiar with stuff like civil engineering, not sound engineering. Other than that, if you enjoy the subjects, you won't have such a hard time and hopefully you'll get a good UAI. :p

Last edited:
HSC
thrash4life said:
hi everybody, this is the subjects i got for year 11 and 12... (i dunno the units =S)

maths
chemistry
geo
music
multimedia

...but after i leave school i either wanna do a uni course on audio/visual/multimedia stuff or if thats not possible, probably a course on agriculture/horticulture.

etc etc

thx in advance dudes
they are good choices if those are your strengths/interest areas..
you haven't picked what is accepted as "hard" subjects but ultimately it depends on you.
you can get a good uai with any kind of subject combination.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
thrash4life said:
NO ONE can tell you what subjects you should have chosen and whether or not you'll have difficulty with them. It's up to you - none of us know your academic strengths and weaknesses so since you've chosen them, have a go at each and find out for yourself.

Any combination of subjects can guarantee you a good uai, provided that you put in the effort. :)

thrash4life

HSC
backrowcentre said:
Hey.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you need physics for any kind of engineering???
And, why is standard english compulsory? or do you mean 2 units of english is?

And you can get a good UAI with any combination of subjects as long as you put the effort in, and liking the subject helps.
i tried to choose ones i would enjoy but i also tryed to choose subjects that would help in the future as well so i chose some that i find a bit meh.

i was deciding between chemistry and physics and i chose chemistry coz (1) people/teachers are saying physics is hard...and im a huge lazy ass (2) in the uni booklets i got, the assumed knowledges for the courses that involve multimedia/it/technology in general said chemistry and/or physics and if i couldnt make those courses the chemistry would come in handy for rhe agriclture/horticulture courses.

and yeh i meant 2 units eng...

backrowcentre

HSC
Yeah. Good choices. I was thinking of doing chemistry, but the people I asked said it required a lot of effort, but if you put the effort in, you can master it. So, make sure you put a lot of effort into that subject.:)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
but Catholic Studies is not a UAI course you get a choice

in Catholic schools you usually have a choice between Studies of Religion and Catholic Studies

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
kaz1 said:
but Catholic Studies is not a UAI course you

in Catholic schools you usually have a choice between Studies of Religion and Catholic Studies
Which is why he has put 'compulsory' in brackets beside it.

bored of sc

HSC
thrash4life said:

maths
chemistry
geo
music
multimedia

etc etc

thx in advance dudes
great variety of subjects, my advice is probably drop something for either physics or extension 1 maths if you want to do engineering, but then again its completely up to you

Oh! If you are doing music make sure you have a good grasp of the theory concepts and advanced performing skills.

Last edited:

marxisming

HSC
i think you should choose english advanced. i heard that teh chances of getting a band 6/5 is slim in standard english.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
marxisming said:
i think you should choose english advanced. i heard that teh chances of getting a band 6/5 is slim in standard english.
If you get good marks you will get band 5-6.. Is there something im missin here..?

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
Hmm all id say was if you were wanting to do preforming or composition or something along the lines of that i would suggest doing music 2.. only if you have been classicly trained.. my recommendations is to go onto the university sites and see if you need to have anything other than a uai to get into the course!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)