My solutions to the 2019 Mathematics Extension 2 Paper (1 Viewer)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
oh no...do we need that stationary point? :'(

also, is the projectile q in q13 meant to be in radians or degrees? i used degrees (bc convention) but apparently the paper had pi/3 for the given angle of object 1.

can someone give some insight into whether or not this matters?

Last edited:

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also guys, what do you think an 85 would align to? I made too many careless mistakes on an easy paper and I’m actually so pissed at myself :(

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
oh no...do we need that stationary point? :'(

also, is the projectile q in q13 meant to be in radians or degrees? i used degrees (bc convention) but apparently the paper had pi/3 for the given angle of object 1.

can someone give some insight into whether or not this matters?

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Also guys, what do you think an 85 would align to? I made too many careless mistakes on an easy paper and I’m actually so pissed at myself :(
Hoping 96. As long as it's not 94, I'll be happy.

sepehrsaryazdi

HSC
I think I'm going to get 78 raw... After all that studying and the nerves still got to me during the exam. What is your prediction for the scaling of that, since I really need that E4?

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also, I’m not annoyed because I think that anything below raw 90 is bad, I’m just sad my anxiety and stress resulted in me losing unnecessary marks which I could’ve gotten otherwise. Edit: Hope I don’t sound cocky or arrogant to anyone, I just relied on maths to boost my atar, so I am disappointed I couldn’t perform my best.

Last edited:

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, I’m not annoyed because I think that anything below raw 90 is bad, I’m just sad my anxiety and stress resulted in me losing unnecessary marks which I could’ve gotten otherwise. Edit: Hope I don’t sound cocky or arrogant to anyone, I just relied on maths to boost my atar, so I am disappointed I couldn’t perform my best.
I know exactly how you feel. I literally didn't see an entire 3 mark question, in addition to me making significantly more silly mistakes than I have made in any exam prior.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
When trying to look at it from an outside perspective, we should be glad. I don't know about you, but when I first started all I wanted was a band e4, and now I'm disappointed with a mid-high e4 because I was in the mid 90s raw range for most past papers (not trying to be arrogant here). Whilst I am very disappointed in myself because I usually don't stress excessively even in really important exams (except this one), we should both be glad that we still performed quite well overall.

Arrowshaft

HSC
When trying to look at it from an outside perspective, we should be glad. I don't know about you, but when I first started all I wanted was a band e4, and now I'm disappointed with a mid-high e4 because I was in the mid 90s raw range for most past papers (not trying to be arrogant here). Whilst I am very disappointed in myself because I usually don't stress excessively even in really important exams (except this one), we should both be glad that we still performed quite well overall.
Mate, I can relate so hard. I go to a low ranked school, so no one got an e4 in any prior years; hence I always envisioned it as this unattainable goal. But once I started to enjoy and understand the art of mathematics, I just really wanted to go against all odds and perform really well - toward the mid of term 2 I knew I could achieve an e4 so I set an even higher goal of a 97 aligned mark and started working really hard toward that until I eventually came to a point where I said to myself “okay I know I can do this”, thus my misery was enhanced once I just bombed the exam. But in light of what you said, I understand perspective is key, and more importantly - we should be grateful for our hard work throughout the course itself.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, I can relate so hard. I go to a low ranked school, so no one got an e4 in any prior years; hence I always envisioned it as this unattainable goal. But once I started to enjoy and understand the art of mathematics, I just really wanted to go against all odds and perform really well - toward the mid of term 2 I knew I could achieve an e4 so I set an even higher goal of a 97 aligned mark and started working really hard toward that until I eventually came to a point where I said to myself “okay I know I can do this”, thus my misery was enhanced once I just bombed the exam. But in light of what you said, I understand perspective is key, and more importantly - we should be grateful for our hard work throughout the course itself.
I go to a school in the 300s. I've had the exact same experience. If you don't mind revealing, what do you plan on doing after school? Maybe we'll see eachother at uni

Arrowshaft

HSC
I go to a school in the 300s. I've had the exact same experience. If you don't mind revealing, what do you plan on doing after school? Maybe we'll see eachother at uni
Hopefully actuarial studies at Macquarie or bachelor of advanced science at USYD

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Hopefully actuarial studies at Macquarie or bachelor of advanced science at USYD
Fair enough. I was hoping actuarial studies with maths at unsw. And If it helps, last year there was only one guy in 4u and he was similarly expecting really high marks. Unfortunately he bombed (for his standards (I don't mean to insult anyone) - he got 93 I believe) the exam because he knew it was the only one that counted (due to him being in a one person class). Although, in spite of his frustration at his 4u performance he smashed 3u and ended up getting a 99.30 ATAR. I guess it will all turn out ok in the end.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough. I was hoping actuarial studies with maths at unsw. And If it helps, last year there was only one guy in 4u and he was similarly expecting really high marks. Unfortunately he bombed (for his standards (I don't mean to insult anyone) - he got 93 I believe) the exam because he knew it was the only one that counted (due to him being in a one person class). Although, in spite of his frustration at his 4u performance he smashed 3u and ended up getting a 99.30 ATAR. I guess it will all turn out ok in the end.
He literally carried our school from the late 400s to the 300s. So hopefully he gives you hope

Arrowshaft

HSC
Oh damn. Also, does UNSW offer actuarial + maths? If so that sounds way better for me! The only reason I was planning USYD as my second preference for advanced science (maths major) was because if I didn’t get into actuarial, I wanted to do science/maths.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh damn. Also, does UNSW offer actuarial + maths? If so that sounds way better for me! The only reason I was planning USYD as my second preference for advanced science (maths major) was because if I didn’t get into actuarial, I wanted to do science/maths.
Yeah, it's a perfect combo. It's 97.5 guaranteed entry. You can either do actuarial studies combined with science (major maths), or actuarial studies combined with advanced maths (extra honours year of maths).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)