• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

my subject selections for this year (1 Viewer)

sinerster

Junior
HSC
currently im doing the following this year

maths ext 1
adv eng
eng ext 1
physics
chemistry
economics

but ive been having second thoughts about economics and eng ext 1

my tutor recommended that i drop eng ext 1 and focus on my maths only which he thinks i am stronger in

economics: i dont really know whats instore for me in this one. i wanted to become actuary last year but have since changed my mind thats why i am having doubts about this

ALSO, is this too much of a workload for a 16y.o.?

Scanorama

HSC
Do what you feel right for yourself. Its only Year 11 anyway, if you find you can't cope with it, then you can drop something in year 12. However be prepare, you will have a very hard time in the next 2 years, physics, chemistry, 3U maths and 3U english are TONS of work, not sure about economic though.

Trev

stix
HSC
in yr 11 its better to have as many units i you can i think, because you cant really pick up subjects for hsc when you realise thats the subject you wish you did (like, i wish i had 14 units instead of 12; just because you think "yeah, they r the subs that r deff guna count and i wont bother about having another subject", think again coz u mite hate one of those subjects and wish you had another sub) [not my fault if u dont understand my ramblings :p)
ie. i thought physics would deff count for me, coz i went really well in physics unit we did in yr 10 (got 83% highest mark for the test and most ppl failed, teacher sed the test was hard and any1 that got 50%+ could cope with physics); i ended up changing physics to business after 7 weeks of term 1.... andi reckon that was a stoopd idea, i should hav kept it till end of prelim then made up my mind, instead of changing, just picked up another subject so i had 14 units (but not i regret having business so im dropping it lol).
.......end of ramble :)

Trev

stix
HSC
oh yeh, and on the topic of you wanting to do actuarial studies; thats what i want to do and ive read on macq. uni forum that not doing economics didnt have much impact on how they went in act. course or wateva (wat im trying to say is they sed it wasnt much benefit doing it).
if ur tutor thinks you should focus on your maths, mayb u should and pick up ext2...

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
you'll need to be really good at maths (obviously) to become an actuary. HSC 4U maths is recommended. you can take economics out of interest, but business/economics related subjects in uni are taught assuming that students have no or little previous knowledge (i saw this in the uac booklet)

and yes, take up as many units as you want in prelim, you can drop them anytime, just try out the subs you're interested in and have a go.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
yes, pick up all the subjects you are interested in and might potentially count in your HSC. you can drop, but you cant pick up in yr 12.

i did 14 units in yr 11 (adv and ext english, 2u and ext maths, physics, chemistry, ancient, software), but for year 12 i dropped ext english because i took up ext2 maths, and it took priority over english, which i loved, but not as much as maths. i also dropped software (because it was deadshit boring, and took up ext. history). now i have 13 units, and very happy with my selection.

im glad that i had a great variety of subjects, which allowed me to think more about what area i want to get in, i think year 11 is too early to chose, and i was tossing up between going into science or humanities. there is very little pressure in year 11, so you might as well do more than less.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
sinerster said:

maths ext 1
adv eng
eng ext 1
physics
chemistry
economics

but ive been having second thoughts about economics and eng ext 1

my tutor recommended that i drop eng ext 1 and focus on my maths only which he thinks i am stronger in
Keep the english for year 11, but drop to Advanced for year 12. That's what I did.

And age means nothing. You can certainly cope with it - I'm 16 myself.

sinerster

Junior
HSC
thats good to hear
my older sis told me that yr 11 doesnt count for much so i might pick up art and see how that goes
14 units... its gonna be one hell of a year

btw i was thinking of actuary but i changed my mind about that a while ago
considering architecture or something with design

SweetSeasons

HSC
sinerster said:

ALSO, is this too much of a workload for a 16y.o.?

If you're not sure keep them all untill ur half yearlies and decide after them.

Also, the dux of our school was one of the youngest in our grade and i am pretty sure she did 12 + units

em0t

HSC
yeah, im doing almost the smae as well- cept im doing modern history instead of economics. im only 15 so yeah, u should cope. and i dont think it really matters wat age u r just as long as ur preparded 2 put the hours in and the effort.
maths is good, i used 2 hate maths and only did ext becoz i wanted 2 do ext english and the only other option was photography, n e ways, im liking maths its fun, even tho its a HEAP of hw and im not used 2 it, but im liking maths more than eng. so i dunno.
good luck:p

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
ur doin 12 units with alot of options u can easly pick up 1-2 ext subjects if u want next year enabling u 2 drop 2 subjects. im not sayn this is smart (if i was in ur case i would do so) im showing u u have plenty of options. i m thinkn about Actuarlia studies n i neva did eco, i do all 3 sciences 4u maths adv eng n sor, that is 13 units n im in my hsc year. keep ur subjects 4 now and leave ur options opened. u might jus surprize urself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)