My Subjects..and Hi! (1 Viewer)

SinFul

HSC
Heya people, as you probably can see from my post count (or the non-existence of it) im a new user to these boards..So i would just like to say Hi!..
i was wondering what you people think about the subjects that im doing which are:

3U Maths
3U English -English Advanced
2U Biology
2U Chemistry
2U Legal Studies.

EDIT:mm..btw i go to Fairfield High..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think they are a pretty good combination of subjects as it allows you the option of choosing extension 2 for your hsc if you wish, and it covers the recommended studies of most university courses.

SinFul

HSC
hmm...i plan on doing extention 2 english and keep 3U maths...opinions?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
SinFul said:
hmm...i plan on doing extention 2 english and keep 3U maths...opinions?
depends on how you strong you feel at maths.

i hear 4U english takes some time, but no exam at end

SinFul

HSC
my maths relatively weak (which is ironic because im asian) compared to my english and sciences..

Last edited:

SinFul

HSC
2U maths is pretty crappy IMO....acutally i would have done it..but my parents are.....asian...so they force me to do 3U maths at least!

'Days till longhorn beta1: 30'
w0w..are u serious?..can you give me the details and stuff?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I do 4u English and 4u Maths, so I can tell you that it reall all depends on your time management skills and your facility with each subject. Also despite the fact there is no final examination for Ext 2 English does not make it easier, so do not use that as part of your reason for choosing it, it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort consistently throughout the year as well as being able to scrap your most loved ideas at a moments notice for something bigger and better, which is no where near as simple as it sounds. That said it is also one of my most rewarding subjects in that within certain limits I can write about whatever I want, and do things my way as its nowhere near as structured as the other subjects as far as the syllabus goes- there is also not the same kind of hassle with internal subjects that other subjects have, though the internals aren't to be disregarded. In summary English Ext 2 is one of the most rewarding courses in the HSC but be prepared to work your butt off, and refine your time management skills into an artform especially if you extend in another subject.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
SinFul said:
2U maths is pretty crappy IMO....acutally i would have done it..but my parents are.....asian...so they force me to do 3U maths at least!

'Days till longhorn beta1: 30'
w0w..are u serious?..can you give me the details and stuff?
lol, 3u is pretty important if you want to do any kind of science in uni.

yeah, longhorn beta1 is supposed to be released june 30

SinFul

HSC
kami said:
I do 4u English and 4u Maths, so I can tell you that it reall all depends on your time management skills and your facility with each subject. Also despite the fact there is no final examination for Ext 2 English does not make it easier, so do not use that as part of your reason for choosing it, it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort consistently throughout the year as well as being able to scrap your most loved ideas at a moments notice for something bigger and better, which is no where near as simple as it sounds. That said it is also one of my most rewarding subjects in that within certain limits I can write about whatever I want, and do things my way as its nowhere near as structured as the other subjects as far as the syllabus goes- there is also not the same kind of hassle with internal subjects that other subjects have, though the internals aren't to be disregarded. In summary English Ext 2 is one of the most rewarding courses in the HSC but be prepared to work your butt off, and refine your time management skills into an artform especially if you extend in another subject.

yes..iv heard about the fact that you have to scrap your ideas and look for news ones really often..
and i can imagine that it would be quite rewarding after all the time and effort you put into it..
my aunty's extention 2 short story got a 49/50...

btw... excuse my lack of grammar its like 11.51 and im really tired and lacking sleep.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
when i did extension two last year my ideas changed quite a bit and by the end i was back to the second idea i ever had. hahahaha.

i recommend it > 4u maths but then i'd recommend ritually molesting babies with jackhammers > 4u maths

Guernica

HSC
SinFul said:
3U Maths
2U Biology
2U Chemistry
2U Legal Studies.
hey hey! Close to me! Except I'm doing 2 unit advanced english, and Community and Family Studies.. i.e.:
3U Maths
2U Adv English
2U Chemistry
2U Biology
2U Legal Studies
2U Community and Family

..gotta love 13 units

For year 12, I am going to drop Legal, I think.
I'm going to keep 3U maths, but might drop it like half way through the year if I'm not going great. It would be nice to have 11 units though.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
no! don't drop legal!

yr 12 legal is four million times the man yr 11 legal is :cool:

seriously it gets SO much better. everyone hates yr 11 legal.

mel4dan

SinFul said:
Heya people, as you probably can see from my post count (or the non-existence of it) im a new user to these boards..So i would just like to say Hi!..
i was wondering what you people think about the subjects that im doing which are:

3U Maths
2U Biology
2U Chemistry
2U Legal Studies.

EDIT:mm..btw i go to Fairfield High..
There quite similar to me.

I am doing:

3U Maths
2U English Advanced
2U Biology
2U Chemistry
2U Earth and enviro
2U Modern history

I was wondering what you all think i should do next year. I have been advised greatly to do extension history because im going really well at it at the moment, however i want to do a BcS at uni. Therefore i need to keep 3U maths, but if i pick up ext history, i can easily drop a subject. However as i really love all my other subjects except english (which i cant drop), i dont want to drop any. Also, they are all sciences and tie in really well with each other and what i want to do later. But that would mean i would do 14 units in the HSC, even though i only need 10. Also, i want to do ext maths 2, but that makes it 15 units!!!! I really need some help with this decision because i have been told that even a 13unit workload is too much, therefore i have no idea as what to do. I could drop modern history, not do ext history, and then have 11 units. but then i am relying on 1 unit as my safety net. also, i would probably do better in modern history than 3unit maths or even 4unit maths, only because i have been going better in history at the moment, just not enjoying it us much as maths.(work that out). i have also been told that earth and enviro has a negative scaling, so that could be a problem if i do it in the hsc. but i really like earth and my teacher forbids me to drop it. :( Please help!!

mel4dan

i would definately drop CAFS if i was you. my friends all tell me its boring and legal sounds so much better.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Don't believe people when they say 13 units is too big a workload!! Sure, if you're doing a lot of subjects that involve a major work, like art, design and tech, etc, it might get difficult, but if you're doing mostly theory-based subjects, it should be no problem. I have 13 units and keep up easily, it all depends you you as the individual.

Guernica - Why not keep all your subjects? 13 units isn't too bad, and you can always change your mind later if you're finding it too hard to keep up with the workload.

HarryKozy - I had the same problem as you, I was doing 2u english adv, 3u maths, chemistry, physics, music 2 and ancient history. I wanted to pick up music ext, maths ext 2 and history ext, but decided 16 units may not have worked....Even though I loved all my subjects and didn't want to drop any.
I ended up dropping An history, purely because it didn't tie in with what I want to do at uni, and picked up the maths and music extensions.

So, it all depends on what you want to do after school, if you've made up your mind. But I would suggest maybe dropping a science if you want to pick up both those extensions. UNLESS of course you want to go into a science field after school- then drop Mod history.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)