• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My year 12 advice ! 10Steps (1 Viewer)

LegitMike

HSC
Hi everyone ! :)

I'm just about to sit the HSC exams in about just under 2 weeks and I'd like to share some advice with a bit of personal experience.

1) Pick the subjects YOU want to do. This was a major downfall on me because I was under the influence of my parents forcing me to do two sciences, extension maths and advanced English, (I hate science & maths! - P.S my brother got Dux of his school [99.5 Atar] so I was already under "competition" from parents). Near the end of year 11 I had a look at my report and noticed I was JUST passing (50-55%) 3U maths and the two sciences but realised how much better I was going in my Studies of Religion 2U because I enjoyed studying it. When you are doing a subject you don't want to do, you will find it so hard to study and lack so much motivation only just leading you into a downwards path getting worse and worse (snowball effect). Eventually, just 2 days prior year 12 started I dropped from 3U Maths and picked up General maths (I know i missed the entire prelim course). Unfortunately, I couldn't drop the sciences and have struggled all year just to pass (BARELY). I'm doing a lot better with General maths (high 80s) rather than low 50's in 3U .. and not to mention, I am happy and comfortable with studying that Maths over the extension. I'm not saying everyone should drop extension and pick up general, all I'm saying is DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, Don't let anyone pick your subjects for you. Everyone is different and unique in their own way. :awesome:

2) If you come from a very strict house hold, who are almost forcing you to do those subjects, try explain to them; you will perform a lot better, higher results and most of all you are in your comfort zone studying the subjects you enjoy. Don't forget YOU are sitting this HSC.

3) Find the best way for you to study! If home is such a big distraction with games, t.v, phone etc ..How about trying your local library, friends or family relatives house? Almost half way through year 12 I discovered where I found my tranquility within peace. No, seriously, it took me a while to find out where I was able to concentrate! Maybe you already have found your best spot?

4) If your parents think "MORE TUTOR = MORE MARKS". Don't try to convince them that isn't true because you will get no where. If you are lucky enough to be benefited with a tutor(s), use it wisely! If you feel it isn't beneficial, and you are partially lazy use it as a study AD LEAST. Talk to your tutor or the group within and discuss better ways for learning. :) Remember tutors are very beneficial but they are NOT essential so don't feel as if you are missing out without one.

5) SLEEP! Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights [true fact]. If you are educated enough to read this than you already know how essential sleep is! I don't have to remind you to eat do I?

6) Never set your standards so low and say "I only need this certain Atar for this particular course" or "I can do it through this pathway and so and so". You never know, you might change your mind half way through, you might decide "hey I kind of regret this, I think i'll transfer into something else? - Oh wait.". Yes HSC is not the BIGGEST MOMENT OF YOUR LIFE !? I'll admit it is a big step in life but it is not the end of the world If you don't make your way into a particular course through the HSC.

7) MOTIVATION ~ Strive high and -insert inspirational quote here-. No seriously, don't let anyone put you down, NEVER compare your self to anyone else, remember YOU are unique in your own ways. :cake:

8) Sharing is caring. Help anyone when ever you have the chance. Slightly touching story --> (During a biology prac, the table next to us dropped their equipment [enzymes] and we decided to lend them some of ours, of course we were going to receive some penalty but you all know the saying "What you give is what you get" .. That group never really spoke to our group until than so we became friends and eventually they had a GIANT book of GREAT biology notes that they were keeping to them selves and they decided to share it with us and everyone else from the grade)

9) ORGANISATION. If you are very social or even spend a lot of time reading, watching t.v, seeing people etc.. It's time to give up SOME of that time and focus more into your study, Yes I know its horrible but the more effort you put in, the larger the reward at the end (self accomplishment!). Now I'm not saying, send a long love letter to everyone and hide in your cave for a year. But be reasonable, don't make silly excuses and say I'll start the following Monday because most likely you are like me and will wait till the Monday 9 weeks ahead. This is where responsibility kicks in and time management. Create a plan, write it up, type it up or even throw in little reminders on your phone.. "FINISH THE ASSIGNMENT DUE IN 30 MINUTES !". No really, they do help A LOT.

10) Lastly, if someone scores a higher mark than you that you REALLY wanted. Don't feel you are "dumb" or they are more intelligent than you, remember;
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success" - Napoleon Hill
HSC isn't how smart you are. Its how dedicated you want to be and how much perseverance you are willing to put into it. Also, for those applying for medicine, they designed a Interview and UMAT exam for a reason. Don't stick to your atar marks remember everything else.. P.S EDIT - If someone gets a high mark and says "Oh I didn't even study !" THATS A LIE ! Its a sign of modesty although modesty has a line that people tend to cross :p

I hope I helped anyone in anyway, remember if you have issues to seek guidance from teachers, parents, students, if you wish to message me about anything feel free. and most importantly GOOOOOODDDDD LUUUUUCCCKKKKK !! :) :)

Last edited:

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Neat tips dude. Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going to try and do the sleeping goal. Good luck with your HSC! :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Re: My year 12 advice 10Steps

thanks for the advice, great to know the BOS community wants to see everyone do their best. GL mike.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Thank you for the tips!! :D

I 100% agree with the first one! Some of my friends really regret choosing some of their subjects because they were forced into it and they seem pretty miserable. You should enjoy the last years of high school with subjects you enjoy so you don't look back and think it was a waste of your youth hahaha

Will attempt with the sleeping! Can't help it when I get stuck into something at 8PM and realise it is 12AM...

Good luck with your HSC ^_^

LegitMike

HSC
Re: My year 12 advice 10Steps

Glad I could help, Its a great feeling helping others =) Good luck in your HSC.

LegitMike

HSC
Of course of course! This was a giant lesson learned for me! Haha good luck ! :)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Well as you can see my atar aim is below. However sometimes I just feel I dont have enough or anything to do. I will be starting Year 12 in 4.5 days however I absolutely have no idea what to study. Should I start making notes for subjects or what do I do? Should I pick up a math textbook and do the questions?

Thanks for the tips though Mike and good luck.

THanks

LegitMike

HSC
Hi mate, Well looking at your subjects.. Maths is maths, only way to perform well in maths is by repetition of questions same applies with Physics.. With English, I'd say start preparing your essays, creative, practice some comprehension..? With Chem and Eco i wouldn't have a clue, but nothing hurts to ask a teacher.. ask other students.. Or even just pick up a textbook and check out the first module and read ahead ^_^ Good luck mate

chardy2651

HSC
thanks for the sleep fact i need to get more sleep!over the years i have been getting 8 hrs sleep

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Great tips! 6 & 8 are the most important imo :)

Just because alternatives exists doesn't mean you should slack off, and just because your course may not require a super high ATAR doesn't mean you shouldn't apply yourself to get the highest you can!

And working in groups does wonders for your own ability since sharing ideas is one of the best ways to learn your course content. Of course, helping others also gives you a great way of thinking around the principles and concepts yourself :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)