myMQ Student Portal and Google Apps Launching This Weekend (1 Viewer)

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
melsc said:
How are you accessing it, because when I try to get into my MQ portal I get the message that it is still being upgraded.
http://my.mq.edu.au/

Then click on the Gmail Logo which will direct u to this address:

http://mail.students.mq.edu.au/

from then, just enter ur Student ID(first.lastname) n password that u currently using.

Then there u go~

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I ge tthe service message, and I couldn't find the link to mail.students.mq.edu.au either...

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
God its ugly. Its like someone jerry-rigged the MQ logo onto the google pages.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
God its ugly. Its like someone jerry-rigged the MQ logo onto the google pages.
And couldn't be fucked taking in the consideration that the google pages are white, and the logo black?

I think so.

X

xeuyrawp

Tried setting up the POP account, but didn't work. Annoying, since gmail ordinarily supports POP access.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks, i thought it was still down but it's not. i'll try it out tomorrow

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
is tooooo plain...white + blue... is there a setting to change those colors? or even create a background of our own??? >.<

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
This is so much easier to use than our old email!!
It's a bit annoying having to log into the portal separately - I only used to log in to check emails, so now it's useless and I will use it about twice a semester.

X

xeuyrawp

Sweet_Lemon said:
is tooooo plain...white + blue... is there a setting to change those colors? or even create a background of our own??? >.<

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i hate the new portal, it's like the mac homepage, there is writing everywhere. but as i have said, i have no need to use it.
i'm very impressed by gmail though, it has a couple of features i have been wanting / have modified my email to sort of have. i might have to convert.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I still can't get it to work in my mail client - I really hope I could of done away with all that mail forwarding stuff - oh well :(

EDIT---
Just did some reading - Apparently the Uni system uses SSO authentication (whatever that is) not SSL so, right now you can't integrate the POP/IMAP services into your Mail client until Google upgrade their authentication system for higher education customers - damn :(

EDIT AGAIN!!!!----
After poking around, you can do it! Just go into your settings for Gmail, click on 'Forwarding/POP' and enable it - then follow the guide to enter it into your email account thingo - brilliant!

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lcf can i ask exactly what you're doing? it sounds interesting but i don't understand it

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
iambored said:
lcf can i ask exactly what you're doing? it sounds interesting but i don't understand it
Sure! I'll post what I have figured out so far :)

1) Log into https://my.mq.edu.au
2) Log into your GoogleMail application
3) In the top right hand corner, in small blue text, click on 'Settings'
4) Click on the 'Forwarding and POP' tab
5) Click on the little radio button 'Enable POP for all mail' and be sure to click on 'Save Changes' at the bottom.
5) Now you are ready to set up your account on your mail client i.e. Apple Mail or Microsoft Outlook. The instructions can be found by click on 'Learn more' underneath the 'Pop Download' subheading

So far it works for me - but I can't seem to get the smtp.google.com to work for sending out messages, so I'm using my ISP one and it works just fine haha - I'll figure that out some other time

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
It's interesting how people are saying it looks so [blah blah]. It's no different from gmail, and surely you've all used gmail before..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
It's interesting how people are saying it looks so [blah blah]. It's no different from gmail, and surely you've all used gmail before..
Surely you might want to get off your high horse once in a while?

Its ugly, looks nothing like the clean AJAX elements of the normal/standard gmail service, and has authentication problems because of the half-arsed integration into the uni system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)