myuni email account (1 Viewer)

fush

HSC
from this morning my usyd email account is flooded by spam mail, i get like 1 or 2 messages sent to me every 5 minutes all in german...its really pissing me off!!

the filters that are provided do absolutely nothing and i dont know how to fix it! i guess i ahve to talk to someone from IT department at uni

anyone lese have similar problem??

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I have the same problem, although not flooded and not in german. Every day i get around 2-3 spam emails about discount software and other junk, problem is many of them are from yahoo and hotmail accounts so i cant just block everything that comes from yahoo and hotmail.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I havent had any spam problems at all. Does forwarding your mail to another address have anything to do with it?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont forward so i guess not. More likely to be some spyware that found out my uni email.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
fush said:
from this morning my usyd email account is flooded by spam mail, i get like 1 or 2 messages sent to me every 5 minutes all in german...its really pissing me off!!

the filters that are provided do absolutely nothing and i dont know how to fix it! i guess i ahve to talk to someone from IT department at uni

anyone lese have similar problem??
I've got that same issue, but with my Gmail... for some reason, they slip pass through all the filters...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
I dont forward so i guess not. More likely to be some spyware that found out my uni email.
My computer has every item of spyware known to man and I still don't have any spam:p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My Uni email is being flooded with the german stuff too. Sounds like something has infected the USYD mail server.

fush

HSC
damn i tried blocking them but it does nothing at all....

lets hope they find a cure

jellybeenz

HSC
I have mail in German as well!!! Weirdness... I only got two e-mails though... hopefully they will fix it, here I was thinking that some German club or group typed in the wrong e-mail address...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Just pick some common German words and set your spam filter to send anything containing those words to junk mail.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yes, i have the same problem.... have had over 200 so far, and lots of "mail return to sender" ones. It must be infecting ppls e-mail addresses and then sending e-mails from them. I cant block them coz half of them are from accounts of ppl who may actually be e-mailing me, and also coz i get paid to answer e-mails, so i have to check them all. It has affected most of my faculty, and also some ppl in the Ag faculty.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I got about 30-40 of those random German emails in the past few days. Bloody annoying.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
yeh me too. i get 27-29 a day. i just go through and delete them.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Just pick some common German words and set your spam filter to send anything containing those words to junk mail.
If using this technique, block words like: das, ist, und, der, zehr, sie, haben, neue, nach....they're fairly common, at least one will appear in a german email (unless they decide to use bad German) and just hope that no one who's actually trying to email you sucks at typing.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i get the discounted software thing too.. annoying..soo excited to have 4 emails in there...end up being stupid spam

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i hear macq uni kids are having the same problem...getting german spam emails. so obviously there's a glintch in all the systems.

im not getting any....but i bet i've spoken too soon and tomorrow i'll start getting them. :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's widespread, and is probably more to do with your email being in someone elses address book than anything else.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
apparently it is worldwide. frikin ppl trying to get their point across by spamming people. As if, it pisses me off so much i am now staunchly against whatever they are trying to achieve. bastards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)