N-nomial expansion (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I rediscovered a 'trick' today that I had found some time ago and I thought I might share it with you guys:

In the expansion of (a<sub>1</sub> + a<sub>2</sub> + ... + a<sub>n</sub>)<sup>P</sup> the coefficient of a<sub>1</sub><sup>p<sub>1</sub></sup>a<sub>2</sub><sup>p<sub>1</sub></sup>...a<sub>n</sub><sup>p<sub>n</sub></sup> is equal to P!/p<sub>1</sub>!p<sub>2</sub>!...p<sub>n</sub>! where (p<sub>1</sub> + p<sub>2</sub> + ... p<sub>n</sub> = P)

The basic logic of this is that if you consider that you have p<sub>1</sub> lots of a<sub>1</sub>, p<sub>2</sub> lots of a<sub>2</sub> ... and so on then there are P!/p<sub>1</sub>!p<sub>2</sub>!...p<sub>n</sub>! ways to arrange these elements in a line - where their position in the line corresponds to the order in which they have been 'chosen' from the bracket.

What I find this helps with is if you want to extend the logic of binomial probability to a situation that can be expressed as an n-nomial, i.e. (a<sub>1</sub> + a<sub>2</sub> + ... + a<sub>n</sub>)<sup>P</sup> where a<sub>1</sub> + a<sub>2</sub> + ... + a<sub>n</sub> = 1. An example is: A fair die is thrown 6 times. Find the probability that the six scores obtained will consist of exactly two 6's and four odd numbers (give it a go).

Anyhow, there are common sense alternatives to using this method but it's helped me out a few times so I figured you people might find some uses of your own. Also I've attached an alternative explanation (the first I came up with) which I made previously to send to people rather than explaining it again. Don't bother opening it unless you're interested in another way of explaining it.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I must commend you KFunk, you truely have the right frame of mind and attitude to be a great mathematician in the future! (if that's your thing ;)).

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Dude, that is awesome. I understood the 'basic' explanation better since the variables confuse me. Good stuff.

noah

HSC
there is also a really cool pascals triangle like pattern that developes in three dimensional for for a tri-nomial, 4 dimensional for quad-nomial........ and n-dimensional for an n-nomial.

you can then apply the formula you derived and find a number at any point in the n-dimensional pyramid.

this is what i used to spend religion class playing with

lum

HSC
whoa kfunk, that's really ingenius, what do you plan to do at UNI?

香港!

HSC
Damn soooooooooo many high lvl people applying for Med!
No chance for me:(

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
香港! said:
Damn soooooooooo many high lvl people applying for Med!
No chance for me:(
Thank god i didn't apply for med. Then i might be feeling some stress right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)