name for this technique? (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
is there a specific name for a technique where a text (poem in this instance) begins with a certain word? like for example my poem starts with the word 'when', and it invokes ideas of limited time and concerns about time ticking away which are primary concerns in the poem but i'm not sure if there's an actual technique or if it falls under structure/form

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt that there is a particular technique for the very first word of a text. If you think about it, it may generally not be feasible for authors to include literary techniques in the very first few words/sentences of their texts, especially since there may not be much development and/or significant events/aspects being explored at a rather early stage in the texts.

In the case of a poem, a technique that can be considered slightly similar to the one that you have described would be an acrostic, which is where the first word (or first letter/syllable) of every verse consecutively forms a word or message. However, this applies to an entire poem instead of one word or the first word, meaning that this would not be a useful technique for the purposes of the poem that you are analysing.

With that being said, you should still be able to discuss the fact that the word "when" in the poem invokes ideas of limited time and such without necessarily mentioning a specific technique in this instance, especially if this point is evidently consistent with the rest of your analysis. You could also link it to the overall structure/form as you have suggested, which I believe would be appropriate, since form essentially affects readers, appeals to their senses and elicits an emotional response, which is in turn evident when considering the notion of concerns as you mentioned. Here, one could argue that form acts as a means of facilitating the delivery of a key message or (and perhaps more relevant to your poem) raising key ideas/themes/issues.

I hope this helps! 😄

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
If it is possible, could you show a couple lines from the beginning of the poem?
when i have fears that i may cease to be - john keats
When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
Before high-piled books, in charactery,
Hold like rich garners the full ripened grain;

ImagineDragin

HSC
when i have fears that i may cease to be - john keats
When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
Before high-piled books, in charactery,
Hold like rich garners the full ripened grain;
Might be a bit late of a reply but you could say it's an anaphora or you could say the juxtaposition between the "when" and the subsequent "before" or you could say connotations to extend on your idea of "time...". Are you studying Keats too?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Might be a bit late of a reply but you could say it's an anaphora or you could say the juxtaposition between the "when" and the subsequent "before" or you could say connotations to extend on your idea of "time...". Are you studying Keats too?
that actually makes sense, unfortunately I picked another quote towards the end of the poem when I used it in my essays just cos I knew the technique from there and not from the start 💀💀💀

and yes, I did do Keats for mod a. it was my favourite module, his poems were so good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)