nanotechnology innovations (1 Viewer)

Farmerism

HSC
hey im in year twelve and am interested in this course and i was just wondering if anyone who does the course at the moment has anything interesting to say about it. is it fun is it boring etc

my mum and i just had a debate about the industrial experience thing. she said that uts sucks because in order to finish the course you HAVE to do work experience, which isnt garrenteed because you have to find the firm yourself, but i was under the impression that uts and csiro were linked and that the work experience was just given to you because of the course. can someone confirm this?

a family friend whos really old and would have gone to uts some decade or so ago, wasnt able to complete the course because he couldnt handle the work experience. he did something with electronics and worked with tandy manufacturers, and was apprarently paid below average wages or something. thats just what my mum said. but i didnt think that you got paid for the experience. so is this true?

also does anybody have any regrets or anything about the course.

im just really interested in what people have to say about it. so i ask.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well I can't answer all your questions, but if you are worried about the work experience part then just do the normal Bachelor of Science in Nanotechnology degree instead of the Innovation one and just do some Business electives as well. It'll end up being a similar degree and you might even get more out of it.

Logistics

HSC
As jasee said, you can do the same degree without work experience.

The work experience you do and pay depands on the employer. Some people get nothing, some a little some get a decent pay.

The UNI has a system I2MS which lists internships (work experience) and you can apply through there, job isn't guaranteed and you are encouraged to find work yourself cause not everyone gets a job from there.

ioniser

HSC
There are several benefits of choosing to do your degree with the work experience,The company you do your internship with might end up hiring you,thus getting you the job before you graduate.The work experience i would consider essential to your degree ,as uts is best known for its degrees with close relation to the work place practice and will put you on top of other uni graduates with some respects because of the work experience ,when looking for a job.One more thing to consider is that nantechnology has a lack of jobs in the industry(which looks pretty bad for employment itself with work experience or not).I know a friend who received honours in nanotechnology and he considers himslef lucky enough to recieve a job at ansto (he worked part time there as a tour guide)he also said "because of the lack of jobs he might just go for a job in investment banks"

good on you for going for nanotechnology innovation,im doing engineering (innovation),might see you in some of the group innovation meetings

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)