Napoleon (1 Viewer)

momo23

HSC
Is anyone using Geoffrey Ellis for Napoleon. How do you go about addressing his contextual influences all i can come up with is he is writing from a modern context and he is not french... Any help would be much appreciated. And in regards to citing historians such as Chateaubriand how would we reference them as they are in the Peter Gieyl book but im not using him im using the historians hes included in his books. Thanks a thousand

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
momo23 said:
Is anyone using Geoffrey Ellis for Napoleon. How do you go about addressing his contextual influences all i can come up with is he is writing from a modern context and he is not french... Any help would be much appreciated. And in regards to citing historians such as Chateaubriand how would we reference them as they are in the Peter Gieyl book but im not using him im using the historians hes included in his books. Thanks a thousand
No idea if this will help but I can try.

I'm doing the case study but sadly I'm using none of those historians you've mentioned, i've never heard of Ellis or Chateubriand (i'm guessing he's french)... then again there are like 300,000 sources for Napoleon. Bah.
If he's not French, is he British?

So he's Modern and by that you better mean 20th-21st century... anyway from the top of my head: (in regards to British historians)

During the mid 20th century, the British opinion of Napoleon can be reflected in popular literature such as in Patrick OBrien Novels and there was a comparable link to Napoleon with Hitler. The imperail conquest of Europe was wracked by ard, with armies,, attracoties under the rule and commited by a totalitarian state. There was also an anti dictator stance (and some attributes of Napoleon contributed to this)

With British historians such as Horne & Mcglynn in the 21st century there attempts to present a more balanced view point and more positive attitude towards Napoloen -- due to a realisation of his long term effects on reforms and stuff.

Umm... There's also the links with the European Union, growth of the "Pan European" attitude, and just general political changes to the perspective going from Thatcherisms (that Britain was a fortress) to current PM Tony Blair citing that it was the Britain was now part of Europe as a whole instead of a seperate colony or whatever....

As for that Chateaubriand and this "Peter Gieyl" guy.
With the historians that Gieyl has used, I believe you quote them (Chat guy) directly because he's written about them... and they've said things about Napoleon --- though check the advice line, remember its only 25cents for a good interesting chat with someone who knows stuff... 13 11 12

Btw here are the historians we covered:
French:
Bertaud, Kerautret, Garnier, Castelot, Tulard, Jourquin, Baecque and Chevllier
British:
Horne, Bowle, Cobban
American:
Horward, Elting, Woloch, Connelly, Grubin, Asprey
Czech:
Herald (us citizen)
Russian:
Sokolov

By the way, I really do not know how to structure this stupid thing. Help me?

momo23

HSC
thanks so much for your help. As for how to structure your essay you address your 2 or 3 areas of debate. Evaluate the perspective of the historian using the dot points of the sylabbus so how do there beliefs.context shape their view blah blah blah. Then you also have to include your own personal view of this and i rang advice line the guy told me to use three historians perspectives for each debate so i dunno. But thanks again for your help!.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
momo23 said:
thanks so much for your help. As for how to structure your essay you address your 2 or 3 areas of debate. Evaluate the perspective of the historian using the dot points of the sylabbus so how do there beliefs.context shape their view blah blah blah. Then you also have to include your own personal view of this and i rang advice line the guy told me to use three historians perspectives for each debate so i dunno. But thanks again for your help!.

thanks gorgeous <3<3<3
I'm using 2 areas of debate, maybe a third... etc
ahhh i hope i go okay in this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)