• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Narrative help (1 Viewer)

study9

HSC
Hey guys- just a quick question. During narratives, can I change perspective (that is, from 3rd to 1st)? I know that it can get quite confusing for the marker but say I make it really obvious...

As the early morning rays peer through the hazy, nebulous clouds, a gentle hum of gaiety floats in the air. It’s peaceful. Serene, like a Monet painting. In amidst the fresh aroma of bacon and eggs drifting in and out of windows, the leaves dancing in time with grovelling cars and the calm wind caressing Nature’s cheek, a young man collapses on a stained car seat.

Crash. Pain. Lights. Flash Wa-
”...argh...”
I blink twice- my eyes struggling to adapt to the surroundings.

Something like that- would this change in perspective be acceptable and would I lose marks for it?

Axio

=o
HSC
Depending on how you use it it could be okay. I would recommend referring to him as 'the young man' instead of 'a young man' if you plan on changing to first person as it just works better.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I highly don't recommend changing perspectives, this is the sort of technique that works for a very narrow range of narratives and perhaps might suit the more experimental nature of creative writing typically in Extension English courses. In general, changing perspectives like the example you have provided makes the story disoriented and it may be hard to grasp the main concept explored. Focus on answering the question and using any given stimuli as closely as possible to get the highest marks instead:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You don't have enough words to change perspectives fluidly enough on an English advanced creative.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's recommended to stay in first person/ second person etc throughout the narrative as its incredibly hard to skillfully do it.

study9

HSC
awesome thanks! no it's not something I'm too serious about, I just wondered if it was okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)