National History Challenge HELP!! (1 Viewer)

stoj19

HSC
Hey,

I have to enter the National History Challenge and also hand in my work as a school assesment aswell. I was just wondering if anyone else here is entering/could help me with my entry.

Since it is also a school assesment out teachers made us do a Research Essay and the theme is "Lessons From The Past" which must be based on the time period after WWI.

And we can choose from the following:
- Freedom Rides
- Whitlam dismissal
- One nation
- Television
- 1970's boat people
- Women in parliament
- Australia's role in the UN
- Policies towards aboriginies
- 1967 Referndum
- The Korean war
- SEATO
- Moratorium movement
- Popular culture
- Green bans
- Republicanism
- An Australian Prime Minister since WWII
- Internet
- Multiculturalism
- Migration
- Equal pay for women
- Women's movement
- Land rights
- ANZUS
- Refernedum to ban Communist party
- Australian's involvemnt in the VIetnam War

So Yeah I was just wondering if anybody could help me, especially with the theme "Lessons From the Past" I interpreate it as.....like I really don't know.

Oh and the website for the challenge is:

www.historychallenge.com.au

Cheers,
Stoj19

georgie.girl

HSC
Wow that websites really unhelpful

Probly best to pick the things from that list that interest you and work from there, like if you are really into aboriginal history then choose Freedom Rides or something, but if thats boring then go for pop-culture etc etc

I guess you could talk about things we've learnt from the past, like how certain events in Australian history have shaped Australia today, like Vietnam and Korea were disasters really.

I had to do the same thing in year 10, our theme was "Australians All", and talked about the history of sport in Australia and the underdog spirit sort of thing, i just said the words Australians All in pretty much every paragraph and it worked

I do extension history as well, and we talk a lot about purpose in history, like whether history is there to teach, or whether we dont actually learn anything from it. So maybe you could sort of go against the theme a little bit and say sometimes we ignore lessons from the past (like you could compare involvement in Vietnam with involvement in the war against terror etc)

I suppose its asking what can history teach us. And you use one of those options as a case study, just make sure you sort of make it relevant to the history and contemporary Australia, to show what we've learnt (or not learnt) because that gets the "lessons" thing happening, and the website talked a lot about national identity

Theres more info on each of the special categories, so if your interested in any of them, then go for it... theres cash prizes involved too, the links are at:
http://www.historychallenge.com.au/index.aspx?pageid=15

GOOD LUCK!
GeorgieGirl

stoj19

HSC
hahahahah thanks georgia mmm I finished this assignment ages ago got a hD thanks anyway!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)