• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

National Mathematics Summer School (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Did anyone ever hear of this program?

I was selected by my school (with my other mate) to compete for places for this program.

Surprisingly, this is not exam-based so I do not know how they will be able to select people. Only thing that I can show is my result in Mathematics Competition where I got numerous HD and D. The other thing I have in mind is my future HSC Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 result but I don't think I will be able to get those results when I need them.

But back to my original question: "Did anyone ever hear of this program?" It's apparently like Mathematics version of National Youth Science Forum where you go to ANU for 2 weeks and particpates in a program.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Did anyone ever hear of this program?

I was selected by my school (with my other mate) to compete for places for this program.

Surprisingly, this is not exam-based so I do not know how they will be able to select people. Only thing that I can show is my result in Mathematics Competition where I got numerous HD and D. The other thing I have in mind is my future HSC Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 result but I don't think I will be able to get those results when I need them.

But back to my original question: "Did anyone ever hear of this program?" It's apparently like Mathematics version of National Youth Science Forum where you go to ANU for 2 weeks and particpates in a program.
doesn't it cost $1200?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
doesn't it cost $1200?
Yeah, it does. How did you know it? I guess you guys did hear about this.

But I am not concerned about the cost at the moment as my parents would be able to cover them (too much parental reliance? yes).

To Without Wings: but how do they select people? It is interview-based? I am confused. Only thing that I can really show them is that I got selected from my school with my mate and some decent results in Westpac Mathematics Competition. I basically have nothing to show...

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Iyounamu,

You should post this in the maths forum. I think you will find that quite a few of the uni students who drop in to the maths forum from time to time either have been to the NMSS or currently tutor it. (e.g, Templar, Keypad, Affinity, maybe)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Iruka said:
Iyounamu,

You should post this in the maths forum. I think you will find that quite a few of the uni students who drop in to the maths forum from time to time either have been to the NMSS or currently tutor it. (e.g, Templar, Keypad, Affinity, maybe)
Sweet, thanks. Can anyone transport this back to the maths forum because I don't want to be accused of double-posting...

Affinity

HSC
Thought they do have an exam.. check this out:
http://www.mav.vic.edu.au/studact/nmss.pdf

I would imagine it's mostly based on your teachers' recommendation and your AMC/AIMO/AMOC senior results or how you go in the correspondence program (if you are doing any of these).

would definitely be worth it if you haven't been to something similar. NMSS is less intense than the olympiad camps, but would be mroe enjoyable

I am sure there are plenty of BoSers who have been there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)