National Security (1 Viewer)

Lorie

HSC
At this time of terrorism and war the security of this country is at it's most vulnerable state.

Does any else believe we have two of the most weakest ministers in that role, being

Alexander downer - foreign affairs
Robert Hill - Defence

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Who are the Labor alternatives? It's all relative...

Kevid Rudd - Foreign Affairs
Kim Beazley - Defence

Beazley would probably be ok for defence, i don't really know, and i know next to nothing about Rudd. I agree that people with personalities and charisma are desirable (re Downer et al) but let's not demand too much from our pollies! ;)

Lorie

HSC
Beazly is a really good defence minister, and ahs good ties with the US from his Hawke/Keating days. He doesn't muck around like (ummmm,errrrr, yes we did know that) Robert Hill.

still not sure about Rudd. But i'm still convinced that he would be better than Downer

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
in regards to the recent bombing in indonesia: if the intention was to get australia to remove troops from iraq, then why perform an act that is likely to affect the outcome of an election in the opposite direction? surely they would have realised this?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Kevin Rudd is on Today all the time. Personally, he's an idiot, and Beazley doesn't even deserve what he's got.

Downer and Hill are doing just fine as they are, considering the 'alternatives'.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Lorie said:
At this time of terrorism and war the security of this country is at it's most vulnerable state.

Does any else believe we have two of the most weakest ministers in that role, being

Alexander downer - foreign affairs
Robert Hill - Defence
Care to explain any specific faults?

Lorie

HSC
Well Downer was one of the big pushes against this whole children over board thing, i remember him saying "who wants people who hold children overboard in our country". Robert Hill's department was in charge of all that stuff that the senate inquiry brought out.

Both are as weak as they come i feel.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah I've seen Rudd on Lateline and the 7.30 Report, he does know what he's talking about. He's a trained diplomat and has a great interest in the Asia-Pacific area, he speaks fluent Chinese (Mandarin). Then again, most people don't watch Lateline or the 7.30 Report so they don't get to experience the more intellectual side of any politician - which is a shame but oh well. I think Rudd is a better alternative than Downer, I'm not a fan of Downer though. Someone with a long-term memory might be able to remember Downer, Leader of the Liberal Party and his ahh... rousing "things that batter" speech in Parliament :p

I can't say I'm entirely impressed with the Liberal party re: defence. But from what I've seen from QT and Lateline etc with Hill he doesn't seem that bad. Just as Costello doesn't seem that bad sometimes!

* I should also say that Downer was also in the Diplomatic Service for a while. I've been able to chase up more about Rudd's time in the Service than Downer's though.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
May i ask what national security???

To me there seems no reason why a terrorist can sail into sydney harbour and blow something up!

Lorie

HSC
Ziff said:
Yeah I've seen Rudd on Lateline and the 7.30 Report, he does know what he's talking about. He's a trained diplomat and has a great interest in the Asia-Pacific area. Then again, most people don't watch Lateline or the 7.30 Report so they don't get to experience the more intellectual side of any politician - which is a shame but oh well. I think Rudd is a better alternative than Downer, I'm not a fan of Downer though. Someone with a long-term memory might be able to remember Downer, Leader of the Liberal Party and his ahh... rousing "things that batter" speech in Parliament :p

I can't say I'm entirely impressed with the Liberal party re: defence. But from what I've seen from QT and Lateline etc with Hill he doesn't seem that bad. Just as Costello doesn't seem that bad sometimes!

Yeah you are right, you see the best of a politician on lateline, easpecially when they are against the minister from the other side. Yes Downer as leader of the liberals was quite a funny affair, and thank god for them he didn't stay in there too long. I must admit Rudd is a good speaker and he has made some good comments about getting more involved in APEC, which is a good thing, but i'd still like to know more about him. But hands down a better choice then Downer

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Lorie said:
Yeah you are right, you see the best of a politician on lateline, easpecially when they are against the minister from the other side. Yes Downer as leader of the liberals was quite a funny affair, and thank god for them he didn't stay in there too long. I must admit Rudd is a good speaker and he has made some good comments about getting more involved in APEC, which is a good thing, but i'd still like to know more about him. But hands down a better choice then Downer
1) APEC serves no purpose, its just a group of leaders who dress up and chat about the weather and golf. Look at what they've achieved...

nothing.

2) Talking foreign policy...

- FTA's with Singapore, Thailand etc.
- Invitation to commence negotiations to join ASEAN now that Mahatir has resigned (whom blocked Australian entrance to Asean after a blunder of Keating's a decade ago)
- Gas deal with China and proposed FTA
- Proposed FTA with Malaysia
- http://www.ausaid.gov.au
- Stronger ties both regionally and internationally.

I can't say much for the defence minister, apart from knowing that he's handled quite a number of portfolio's in the past and is relatively experienced.

Again, you dont explain why Rudd is "hands down" a better choice.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Cape said:
May i ask what national security???

To me there seems no reason why a terrorist can sail into sydney harbour and blow something up!
Been there, done that (see WW2).

lengstar

HSC
how about you provide reasons why downer is better?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lengstar said:
how about you provide reasons why downer is better?
Why should I? I didn't start this topic. I'll argue over party policies not people.

Lorie

HSC
neo_o said:
1) APEC serves no purpose, its just a group of leaders who dress up and chat about the weather and golf. Look at what they've achieved...

nothing.

APEC has achieved nothing because the government has failed to embrace on the them. Yes it is a group of nations brought together by the common goal of trade. We need to embrace it much like the EU and NAFTA.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Kevin Rudd is an absolute LEGEND....HE is my political idol...I HAVE MY REASONS

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Although I'm a Liberal, I would actually consider voting Labor if Rudd was leader and the Liberal leader was the most stupid, idiotic and racist person to walk the Earth. He seems down to Earth and a good guy. He seems to me like a Liberal in a Labor suit.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Stupid, idiotic...yeah...he's the Prime Minister for a reason. If he was an idiot or stupid he wouldn't be in charge of the party that represents the elite.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Has he been kicked out? No. Has he been re-elected since 1996? Yes, twice. I think you'll find the majority of Australian electorates disagrees with you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)