National Study (1 Viewer)

bugra

HSC
N/A
So I'm having a slight crisis about our section 2 topic. Our class is doing Australia, which honestly is a really interesting topic, but THERE ARE LIKE NO RESOURCES IN EXISTENCE for it. I'm just wondering if anyone has any resources or is doing this topic so we can share the heartache man. Also, is data concerning elective numbers available? I'd love to know how many people are doing Australia as their National Study.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
key features is a *decent* resource - good for starters and summaries, but honestly its info doesn't provide the level of depth required for the topic
i think nelson/cengage has a modern history book solely about australian history from postww1-1950s i think

apart from that, there's no other resource (that is written specifically for the modern history hsc courses) for this elective, i think it's one of the more rarer ones unfortunately. in terms of data on the electives, i think the most popular choice is ussr (and i think the usa?), based on what i've seen. occasionally i've seen japan and china. but i've got no concrete data to confirm that it's just based on observation (but if anyone does pls let me know i'm also curious)

bugra

HSC
N/A
key features is a *decent* resource - good for starters and summaries, but honestly its info doesn't provide the level of depth required for the topic
i think nelson/cengage has a modern history book solely about australian history from postww1-1950s i think

apart from that, there's no other resource (that is written specifically for the modern history hsc courses) for this elective, i think it's one of the more rarer ones unfortunately. in terms of data on the electives, i think the most popular choice is ussr (and i think the usa?), based on what i've seen. occasionally i've seen japan and china. but i've got no concrete data to confirm that it's just based on observation (but if anyone does pls let me know i'm also curious)
Okay thanks for that. Even online notes or study guides are non-existent lol. I really wish I could see the numbers on the topics, it would've been great to know for ancient last year, and modern as well cos I guess it affects the experience of your marker. 98+ in modern goal?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Okay thanks for that. Even online notes or study guides are non-existent lol. I really wish I could see the numbers on the topics, it would've been great to know for ancient last year, and modern as well cos I guess it affects the experience of your marker. 98+ in modern goal?
(would like to add that if you do get in features the australia chapter is only on the electronic pdf ver, which i have so i can send if you want)
i think the most common selection is ussr/(power and authority obviously because it's mandated)/conflict in europe/civil rights in the us ?? and for peace and conflict you have a few indochina/pacific/cold war occasionally, and tiananmen square if not civil rights based on observation. my teacher said that even though the marker is experienced in a certain selection of topics they're mostly looking for how you express your idea and make critical judgements rather than the historical content itself (which comes second). (and 98+ mark yea hopefully, i guess we'll see in december haha)

bugra

HSC
N/A
(would like to add that if you do get in features the australia chapter is only on the electronic pdf ver, which i have so i can send if you want)
i think the most common selection is ussr/(power and authority obviously because it's mandated)/conflict in europe/civil rights in the us ?? and for peace and conflict you have a few indochina/pacific/cold war occasionally, and tiananmen square if not civil rights based on observation. my teacher said that even though the marker is experienced in a certain selection of topics they're mostly looking for how you express your idea and make critical judgements rather than the historical content itself (which comes second). (and 98+ mark yea hopefully, i guess we'll see in december haha)
I'd really appreciate if you could send that thru. I've heard similar things about the topics, every man and his dog do Russia but we've got Australia, pacific, nuclear age.

I mean yes the judgement comes first but I guess I'm just placing myself in the shoes of a marker who is seeing this mammoth amount of Russia essays and your need to distinguish yourself in that compared to the amount of essays an Australia marker is looking at. They get paid by the essay, so it's just something to be conscious of.

98 is actual insane like good luck, anything around that would be incredible. Do you feel on track?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I'd really appreciate if you could send that thru. I've heard similar things about the topics, every man and his dog do Russia but we've got Australia, pacific, nuclear age.
yeah feel free to dm me your email and i'll send it. my school's doing russia/cold war/tiananmen square and since the kind of history i'm interested in is imperial russia/soviet history and military history i'm glad with the selection of topics my school has. everyone does russia i feel, it's probably because every man and his dog pick the romanov topic in year 11 so it just seamlessly transitions into the russian national study which picks up immediately after the russian revolution from the year 11 topic (though you've also got a cool selection, the war in the pacific is so interesting)

I mean yes the judgement comes first but I guess I'm just placing myself in the shoes of a marker who is seeing this mammoth amount of Russia essays and your need to distinguish yourself in that compared to the amount of essays an Australia marker is looking at. They get paid by the essay, so it's just something to be conscious of.
i think in a small cohort doing australia, probably using arguments/historiography that stands out would immediately place you above the rest (eg. mentioning historians only to counterargue them, etc), though honestly i've no idea

98 is actual insane like good luck, anything around that would be incredible. Do you feel on track?
"ill be happy with anything 97+",
but aims for 96 eng, 98 modern, high b6 for ext math
*goals are reflective of 99.95 student*
hopefully, i got a mark i was happy with for the ussr assessment task, and i've got another to come for the core study. mostly i'm aiming for that mark because it's stuff i'm actually passionate about and love to talk to other people about like a nerd so i would love to get something very good for something i really like doing (same goes for english)
(though for synthesis i'm only aiming for a mid e4 for mx1, mx2 is... another story)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
lmao same ngl
What are ur ranks like in ur cohort? like what marks are u expecting to get with ur current ranks
i only know my rank for modern, i ended up not asking my teacher for maths (kind of regret it), the rest i have no idea.
i think english and chem for now are pretty solid ranks based on asking around (hoping to bump them up a bit more with the next tasks, we'll see), no idea with bio

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i only know my rank for modern, i ended up not asking my teacher for maths (kind of regret it), the rest i have no idea.
i think english and chem for now are pretty solid ranks based on asking around (hoping to bump them up a bit more with the next tasks, we'll see), no idea with bio
but liek in terms of marks
e.g if u got 95 in math ur probably near the top yk what i mean
im just curious to know ur schools average marks in assessment tasks and stuff lol

bugra

HSC
N/A
yeah feel free to dm me your email and i'll send it. my school's doing russia/cold war/tiananmen square and since the kind of history i'm interested in is imperial russia/soviet history and military history i'm glad with the selection of topics my school has. everyone does russia i feel, it's probably because every man and his dog pick the romanov topic in year 11 so it just seamlessly transitions into the russian national study which picks up immediately after the russian revolution from the year 11 topic (though you've also got a cool selection, the war in the pacific is so interesting)

i think in a small cohort doing australia, probably using arguments/historiography that stands out would immediately place you above the rest (eg. mentioning historians only to counterargue them, etc), though honestly i've no idea

hopefully, i got a mark i was happy with for the ussr assessment task, and i've got another to come for the core study. mostly i'm aiming for that mark because it's stuff i'm actually passionate about and love to talk to other people about like a nerd so i would love to get something very good for something i really like doing (same goes for english)
(though for synthesis i'm only aiming for a mid e4 for mx1, mx2 is... another story)
Fair, we did Romanovs but then changed teacher. I agree I reckon that you should be able to distinguish yourself quite quickly. My ancient topics were the bigger ones so it'll be interesting. I don't actually know why I did modern but I'm stuck with it so better make the most of the mark.

That's decent to hear, passion trumps rote. Cold War topic seems interesting to me

Anaya R

HSC
USSR is the most popular, probably because there is some overlap between the Yr 12 content and Yr 10 content and makes a nice bridge from Romanovs in Yr 11 to the Yr 12 content.
US is next probably since the names are easier to spell (legit a marker said that when our school went to a History Day in USYD in 2021) and since it flows well into both Pacific and Civil Rights.
I'd assume same for China and Japan (their topics flow into the following units and have some overlap with previous years)
Australia is a bit of an anomaly in that sense since it's not really something investigated in the recent years with the exception of Indigeous rights iirc.

Anaya R

HSC
So I'm having a slight crisis about our section 2 topic. Our class is doing Australia, which honestly is a really interesting topic, but THERE ARE LIKE NO RESOURCES IN EXISTENCE for it. I'm just wondering if anyone has any resources or is doing this topic so we can share the heartache man. Also, is data concerning elective numbers available? I'd love to know how many people are doing Australia as their National Study.
To answer this question, best if you sift through historian sources and do your own research. Even for other topics, the top people substantiate their own study with research outside of class content. I'd start with the State Library of NSW - they've got lots of scholarly articles. Or Google Scholar. Just make sure it's useful for the dot point you're studying/writing notes for.

Anaya R

HSC
Also I don't mind doing research on these areas since chances are I may teach this in the future; lmk if you would like some focussed topic help/research :)
This goes for anyone reading this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)