National Year 12 (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Rorix: WHY MAN WHY

Because it's costing you more in the long run.

No matter how much you have to earn to pay it back your still paying back
$20 000 more than you would have been before Nelson had his fun.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
I think you'd find that it would be difficult to fit a comprehensive response within say, 3 booklet pages unless you had the most miniscule writing.
katie_tully said:
Well, we've had it drilled into us that in Advanced and Extension English, you can't possibly get your point across in less than 4-8 pages. Our teachers wont even mark something that's less than 4 pages, where as in sciences like Biology you can write everything in point form and it's fine.
Too much emphasis is placed on size, rather than content.
Fair enough, even though brevity should be a highly sought after skill (the one skill that I managed to 'perfect', too)... Ah well, that's life, and I really could not care anymore :).

Edit: Brevity may be taking it too far... Oh well.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You can make a strong point in 2 pages, it is a much better skill to see if people can cut down their information and their argument into a 2 page well made point.

Rorix

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Rorix: WHY MAN WHY

Because it's costing you more in the long run.

No matter how much you have to earn to pay it back your still paying back
$20 000 more than you would have been before Nelson had his fun.

So? Me paying more money does not necessarily equate to BAD. Even if I don't get extra value for my extra money, it doesn't even equate that PAYING MORE=BAD.

You can't just state 'raising hecs was bad.' Well, at least if you hope it to lead to convincing others of your beliefs/intelligent discussion.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
It equals bad if you're not after a lot of money in your career.

It equals bad if you could think of a better use for twenty thousand dollars (put any of my siblings through TAFE/uni, charity, save up to buy my property where I employ people who can't get work elsewhere, buy a new car [in the interests of public safety], etc).

It equate to bad if you're going to be paying off your HECS when your married with kids.

It equates to bad if you're from a disadvantaged background and the very idea scares you off. Actually is happening by the way.

Where's the intelligence behind paying more for no more value? That's an ingrained expectation in our society, value for money.

It'll be a big bite in the arse when it comes to buying a house with land prices rising.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I won't be paying more for property, i'll be paying higher hecs.
Tho u never know, once we get VSU maybe i'll be able to take my $500, invest it well and manage to pay off my hecs (at least substantially) using that?
I know it's unrealistic but so is everything you just said.

Rorix

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
various ways of restating 'paying more is bad'
Firstly, as I said earlier, you have to establish (or at least ATTEMPT TO ESTABLISH) that I get no more value out of paying more for my HECS. Secondly, even if I didn't, simply restating 'paying more is bad' in different ways does not simply make it true. This is up for you to establish.

Where's the intelligence behind paying more for no more value? That's an ingrained expectation in our society, value for money.[/qupte]

Again, you have already assumed that I get no more value without even attempting to establish as much. Secondly, just becase society has an ingrained expectation does not mean that the ingrained expectation is RIGHT, it simply means that society has an ingrained expectation. Lastly, if I pay more, someone must receive more. This is logical. What does this person do with this extra money? Do I derive any utility from their use of this money? The money does not simply disappear into a void.

It'll be a big bite in the arse when it comes to buying a house with land prices rising.
Uh, OK. And this is relevant because?

[/crusade against bad logic in the BOS forums]

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I won't be paying more for property, i'll be paying higher hecs.
Tho u never know, once we get VSU maybe i'll be able to take my $500, invest it well and manage to pay off my hecs (at least substantially) using that?
I know it's unrealistic but so is everything you just said.

You take that five hundred and invest it and the next week you withdraw fifty bucks for food since subsidised cafes are out the window. And you do this every week. This begins to add up. You also, if you have kids, have to withdraw money to pay for childcare since it no longer exists on campus. And you find out your sporting club has disbanded as well as the campus gym so you either have to use the one in town (another 20 bucks a week) or else you simply don't exercise and end up in hosptial with a heart attack by the time your fifty. And what's more after all your other miscellaneous expenses that would have been saved if you'd have payed the union fees a job comes up that you would have known about through the union, but since the union doesn't exist, you don't find out and you miss out on earning $15 an hour on weekends.

So is your investment really paying off in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)