National Youth Science Forum (1 Viewer)

boo_girl

has anyone been selected for interviews to go to the National Youth Science forum next yr?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i know someone who did. i was going to go but then i realised i wasn't geeky enough

onigiri

HSC
what the hell is that? i know a few ppl that got selected for it....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If I knew what it was, and if I had enough self-confidence, I would go.

Lozt

G'day

I went to NYSF in 2002.

It's an awesome experience, to get to meet heaps of interesting like-minded (uhh.. not necessarily geeky!) ppl from all around aus.

U spend a lot of the days visiting science institutes, research centres, industries, universities - going on tours & trying out stuff. Basically, it's to give u a chance to get to know what working in the science fields would b like, u talk to real-life scientists, work at the places, & basically see the wide range of fields and experiences out there.

It's for ppl who're interested or thinking about going into science / engineering in the future, and wanna see what it's like and where it can lead u.

It was a great experience for me, altho i didn't end up going into science (I study medicine now).

(However, I haven't given up science, as I'm now also a tutor for HSC & Year 11 chemistry & biology.
Uhh... now that i mentioned it, if u're interested in some revision or getting a head start - on yr 11 OR HSC work - feel free to contact me! More details in my thread "Chemistry Tuition" in the Tuition section")

but newayz, yeh, NYSF is a real good experience. It's a killer to get selected, but if u do get a chance, it's a chance not to b missed!

kpq_sniper017

Lozt said:
It's a killer to get selected
i.e. it's very difficult, or it's good to get in, or both?
two guys from my grade were selected within our school to attend the interviews. i don't know if they've been selected to go though to attend the NYSF though.

how many interviews, what processes etc do u have to go through to get there?

Lozt

From memory,

u have to go thru 2 interviews.

1 is with ur Rotary Club, whose sponsorship & approval u need to attend the conference.

Then u go to a group interview, where they will select the suitable candidates.

I'm not exactly sure on the stats, but i THINK it's 1 in 5 applicants make it thru. Correct me if I'm wrong!

*hint* for the interviews, they're extremely interested in:
cocurricular activities
leadership skills
communication skills
enthusiasm & interest

Experience & academic achievements also help.

Good luck!

boo_girl

thanks heaps lozt for that info! It sounds awesome. My interview (with Rotary) is at the end of july.
i'm looking forward to the experience

kpq_sniper017

Lozt said:
*hint* for the interviews, they're extremely interested in:
cocurricular activities
leadership skills
communication skills
enthusiasm & interest

Experience & academic achievements also help.
i often wonder about "leadership skills", as it's always one of the criteria for selection for jobs and almost everything. but how do u demonstrate leadership qualities at an interview? e.g. i've only been the captain of a sports team once ast year, and other than that, i've never had the chance to show my leadership qualities. i'll admit i'm a fairly quiet person, but can a quiet person still act as a leader, or would u have to be more outgoing and adventurous?

btw. "enthusiasm and interest".....what if they asked: what do u want to do as a career?....and u answered: law. would they still consider accepting u?

Lozt

haha
i wouldn't suggest answering "Law"!
Well, at least show that u're open to other possibilities - that u do wanna see wat science professions are like and where would it lead u... (just say that verbatim!)

In terms of leadership skills, yeh, past experience is a very good indicator. Sports captaincy is good. School Prefect is even better! Hiking (eg. in Duke of Ed) is good.
Other good experience include service in Youth Groups, ISCF, Interact & other service/community organisations.

Otherwise, u can exhibit ur skills by ur communication skills & confidence.

The group interview will be an importance chance to show ur comm & leadership skills.

So quiet ppl CAN show good leadership. Leadership isn't so much about personality, but rather, about skill, experience & motivation/confidence.

Hope these help.
Btw, these stuff are also applicable to other interviews - eg. for uni scholarships/cadetships, jobs, etc. =D

kpq_sniper017

Lozt said:
haha
i wouldn't suggest answering "Law"!
Well, at least show that u're open to other possibilities - that u do wanna see wat science professions are like and where would it lead u... (just say that verbatim!)

In terms of leadership skills, yeh, past experience is a very good indicator. Sports captaincy is good. School Prefect is even better! Hiking (eg. in Duke of Ed) is good.
Other good experience include service in Youth Groups, ISCF, Interact & other service/community organisations.

Otherwise, u can exhibit ur skills by ur communication skills & confidence.

The group interview will be an importance chance to show ur comm & leadership skills.

So quiet ppl CAN show good leadership. Leadership isn't so much about personality, but rather, about skill, experience & motivation/confidence.

Hope these help.
Btw, these stuff are also applicable to other interviews - eg. for uni scholarships/cadetships, jobs, etc. =D
well, at least that's reassured me somewhat :)

lilkatie

I got through initial Rotary interviews. Two people from each rotary club get selected. I have to go to district (and final interview) on teh 24th ARGH, it goes for about 5hrs. I think about 1 in 6 get through. From what I've heard it's a heap of fun and it's really prestigous, I'm so keen to go. And please can everyone get out of their heads that NYSF is for nerds......I'm not a nerd I'm blonde haha

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Without Wings said:
that's not a very nice generalisation
i wasn't being mean to nerds or whatever, im just saying i wasn't up at that level

Luthien

Somewhere in the wilderness of my crazy mind
HSC
I had my interview in Canberaa on the weekend, although i know i won't be selected.
Just with the "geek" "up to that level" generalisation, they don't look for the brightest people, but people with personality that will get the most out of the wekk and want a career in science.

kpq_sniper017

Luthien said:
I had my interview in Canberaa on the weekend, although i know i won't be selected.
Just with the "geek" "up to that level" generalisation, they don't look for the brightest people, but people with personality that will get the most out of the wekk and want a career in science.
do u necessarily need to have an interest in a career in science?
i like chemistry and i liked science in yrs7-10 (not so much the physics topics though), but i don't think i'll be pursuing a career in science (as you'll see in my sig.)

* i didn't actually apply to go to the NYSF, but i'm just curious about it.

lilkatie

I actually got through, I came out of the interviews and went 'wow that was so hard', so it was such a shock. They said i went really well in the group exercise and had a good personality, I think that's what they're looking for.....and they love people who can play instruments!?

kpq_sniper017

*Katie* said:
I actually got through, I came out of the interviews and went 'wow that was so hard', so it was such a shock. They said i went really well in the group exercise and had a good personality, I think that's what they're looking for.....and they love people who can play instruments!?
what kind of interviews did u have to go through?
what kinda exercises/tasks did u have to do to prove yourself worthy of going to the nysf?
a guy in my year got in, but the one didn't make it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)