Natural indicator assessment (1 Viewer)

Real Madrid

HSC
Task Description: Perform a first-hand investigation to prepare and test a natural indicator

I need help on this prac...i don't want to make it overly simple/complicated

In my introduction I need to describe my rationale, describe my purpose, and describe the hypothesis

how would i go all about this

Last edited:

Anubin

HSC
man 09ers r so lazy
that is not necessary adnan. just because we are 09'ers doesnt mean were lazy, rather it could be because we dont understand some of the work and therefore require extra assistance from previous students who have the knowledge who could explain it in a more simpler context.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Intro:
Many flowers, such as hydrangeas, change color according to the acidity/alkalinity of the soil; this is due to the fact that such flowers contain natural indicators whose color change according to the concentration of hydrogen/hydronium ions in the soil.

In my investigation, I shall extract a natural indicator from beetroot (or red cabbage, or any other plant that 'works'), and test its color in acidic, neutral, and basic solutions.

Hypothesis:

Purpose/Aim:
"To prepare and test a natural indicator". It's in the dotpoint.

Procedure:
0. Prep equipment, etc, inc. 5n test-tubes.
1. Peel and chop, blend, add water, blend again.
2. Strain mixture.
3. Add li'l bit of water, NaCl, HCl, NaOH to test-tubes; leave one set alone, as control.
4. Add li'l bit of beetroot mix to each, and using a stirring rod, stir. Record color.
5. Repeat as necessary, etc.

That's a thorough basis.
instead of blending beetroot [especially if Real Madrid goes to a public school where he can't blend stuff], you can boil red cabbage in water which will extract the colour, or use a mortar and pestle with any really bold coloured flower and ethanol and extract the colour by that then use it as an indicator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)