Naturally occurring bases? (1 Viewer)

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Is there any naturally occuring bases because that is what dot point 9.3.3.13 asks and I can only think of acids!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Nicotine is a weak base, as are a bunch of other naturally occuring nitrogen containing alkaloids, like cocaine, heroin and morphine. Many medications are also weak bases, and so are delivered as the salts - ie any medication whose name is whatever hyrdobromide, or hydrochloride, means that the basic medication whatever is a weak base, and has been made into a (more stable, and usually more soluble) ionic salt, by reacting it with HBr or HCl.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It is true that ammonia is a weak base, but where does it occur naturally?

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
calcium carbonate (limestone) comes to mind. Can't you just use metallic oxides, of which there are many?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
ammonia only occur naturally in extremely minute ammounts from biodecomposition of microorganisms... as Heinz there are many solid naturally occuring bases, eg. carbonates. As for liquid bases, they are mainly found in living things such as pancreas juice, DNA, blood(only slightly),

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
It is true that ammonia is a weak base, but where does it occur naturally?
Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound found in the soil as a product of bacterial action on decaying organic matter.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
its best not put that in an exam though as its not very common... and may not be accepted as an answer... cuz there are other bases at that concentrations to that would not be normally counted as natural

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I put ammonia as one of my trial answers and teacher marked it correct.

Though yes, I agree with you, there are other better examples of naturally occuring bases to put instead of ammonia.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Ammonia is a naturally occurring compound found in the soil as a product of bacterial action on decaying organic matter.
Fair enough. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
ammonia only occur naturally in extremely minute ammounts from biodecomposition of microorganisms... as Heinz there are many solid naturally occuring bases, eg. carbonates. As for liquid bases, they are mainly found in living things such as pancreas juice, DNA, blood(only slightly),
I would not suggest you use DNA, as its name deoxyribonucleic acid, is likely to have some teachers objecting - Yes, I know that it is ionised, and present as the base form, but not all teachers would knw this.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
... ammonia is present in very minute amount comparing to say, limestone...but i didnt' have a choice, therefore, i did put it in if the question demanded...

btw, it is also produced as a form of nitrogenous waste by fresh water fish...

edd91

HSC
look at the bases used as buffers in your blood

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ash also forms a basic solution and that occurs quite readily.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Xayma
Ash also forms a basic solution and that occurs quite readily.
And, it is (unusally for nature) a strong base, as it is potassium hydroxide - at least, for certain types of wood, it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)