• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nazi flag (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think WW2 soldiers that fought in PNG and the Pacific are a different kettle of fish altogether though, as they were fighting for Aussie freedom.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I think the original ANZACS were more fighting for European freedom than that of Australia, although it could be debated that it would have spread outside of Europe, I don't think it was explicitly our freedom they were fighting for.
I'm well aware of that, but they still deserve some respect. They were soldiers of our nation - people who gave their lives in the name of their country. Likewise the soldiers who are in Iraq right now, though there for, in my opinion, completely inappropriate reasons, are our defence force. We ought to appreciate the fact people risk their lives serving in our armed forces.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I think WW2 soldiers that fought in PNG and the Pacific are a different kettle of fish altogether though, as they were fighting for Aussie freedom.
PNG only. The rest of the pacific was not fighting for Australia's freedom.

The Japanese had no plans to invade Australia.

Riewe

HSC
Xayma said:
PNG only. The rest of the pacific was not fighting for Australia's freedom.

The Japanese had no plans to invade Australia.
The only reason why Japan didn't look like invading Australia was they never really got close to us to mount an invasion. They only managed to get planes to bomb Darwin, and a mini-sub to shoot down a ferry in Sydney Harbour, and maybe some other things, but i don't know of them.

It was only by the efforts of those in PNG and the naval fleets that held off the Japs. If they had not been stopped there, then the Japanese would surely had invaded Australia, most likely through the north of Australia, which was quite isolated from the rest of the country, and advanced from there. Thus invading Australia, which luckily didn't occur.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
neo,

so u actually would walk around ur uni or around the city and stuff with a swasticka badge / shirt / flag / hat...?
U wouldnt last long. u'd prolly get arrested!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Riewe said:
The only reason why Japan didn't look like invading Australia was they never really got close to us to mount an invasion. They only managed to get planes to bomb Darwin, and a mini-sub to shoot down a ferry in Sydney Harbour, and maybe some other things, but i don't know of them.

It was only by the efforts of those in PNG and the naval fleets that held off the Japs. If they had not been stopped there, then the Japanese would surely had invaded Australia, most likely through the north of Australia, which was quite isolated from the rest of the country, and advanced from there. Thus invading Australia, which luckily didn't occur.
Actually, although the idea was raised, it was rejected on that they did not think they would've had the strength to take Australia forcefully. (Which they probably wouldn't have due to size and sparsity of Australia).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
walrusbear said:
anzacs = propaganda

forget about them
they're people who died in a war
it's a nationalistic concept used to fire people up
That is the most disrespectful comment I've ever heard. They should be pitted? They died for their country - and I might have you recall in WWI, Australia was part of the British Empire, so technically they were fighting for their country. It was a tragedy where many good men died because of british incompetence, it's not something to be scoffed at.

Secondly, about WWII, I don't know if the Japs planned to invade us or not, so I won't argue that. HOWEVER, they were still essentially proecting Australia. The top end was bombed 64 times, as well as the Eastern Suburbs. Midget subs were found off Broome and in SYDNEY HARBOUR. The Brits felt there was a distinct possibility or else they would not have created the Brisbane Line. The Japs would not have lasted though, they were good in the Malayan Jungle and the tropics of SE Asia, but inavding from the Top End? It would be been weeks treaking across arid desert. They wouldn't have made it to anything of significance before being captured by Australian Forces.

The mentality of the Pacific War was they were defending Australia - it was the closest war had been to Australia. Whether the Japs intended to or not would have had little influence of the soldiers who saw a forgien enemy making their way down through PNG. Remember Kokoda? The whole mission surrounded an airstrip that provided the Japs with direct access to Darwin, thus protecting Australia.

Komaticom Where would be be today without Escape from Castle Wolfenstien 3D?

Last edited:

tattoodguy

sashas commment about reinacting the holocust in ur back yard..............for some reason put me in hysterics.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
White Rabbit said:
That is the most disrespectful comment I've ever heard. They should be pitted? They died for their country - and I might have you recall in WWI, Australia was part of the British Empire, so technically they were fighting for their country. It was a tragedy where many good men died because of british incompetence, it's not something to be scoffed at.

Secondly, about WWII, I don't know if the Japs planned to invade us or not, so I won't argue that. HOWEVER, they were still essentially proecting Australia. The top end was bombed 64 times, as well as the Eastern Suburbs. Midget subs were found off Broome and in SYDNEY HARBOUR. The Brits felt there was a distinct possibility or else they would not have created the Brisbane Line. The Japs would not have lasted though, they were good in the Malayan Jungle and the tropics of SE Asia, but inavding from the Top End? It would be been weeks treaking across arid desert. They wouldn't have made it to anything of significance before being captured by Australian Forces.

The mentality of the Pacific War was they were defending Australia - it was the closest war had been to Australia. Whether the Japs intended to or not would have had little influence of the soldiers who saw a forgien enemy making their way down through PNG. Remember Kokoda? The whole mission surrounded an airstrip that provided the Japs with direct access to Darwin, thus protecting Australia.

Komaticom Where would be be today without Escape from Castle Wolfenstien 3D?
Didn't Australia split off from the Empire in 1901?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Federation was 1901 yes, however Australians were still classed as british subjects up until at least the second world war - I have my grandparents war records to verify this too. ;)

Wolf3D was my favorite game as a kid. I loved it ;)

malkin86

HSC
"Just get over it"?

I heard that they had no idea who the Nazis were, but they reckon in any case WWII was 50 years ago, so just get over it. :mad:

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
well the cross and pictures of jesus and statues of jesus on the cross offends me
but i get the fuck over it

there is a red nazi symbol painted on every electricity pole..log thingy in our neighbourhood
i used to see an old man going around painting them on
i thought to myself....what the fuck is he doing?..
but i soon got over that too

mahuligan

HSC
soha said:
there is a red nazi symbol painted on every electricity pole..log thingy in our neighbourhood
i used to see an old man going around painting them on
i thought to myself....what the fuck is he doing?..
but i soon got over that too
wtf?! thats slighty odd..did anyone ever go up to him and ask him what he was doing?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
mahuligan said:
wtf?! thats slighty odd..did anyone ever go up to him and ask him what he was doing?
well..not that i saw
but we would always drive past
he has his red paint tin and a brush

oh ..hahaha..and he would nail crosses to the posts..like metal ones

my dad thought about talking to him
then we were like nah..hes just a crazy little old man..so we got over it
kind of funny...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)