NBN costs 24 times that of South Korea's with one tenth of the speed (1 Viewer)

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
the thing that i find funny about this is that during the election the pro-NBN'ers were justifying the network by saying that 'we need to keep up with our se-asian neighbours'

except now apparently when the shortfalls between their networks and ours are demonstrated, a comparison between here and (say) south korea is 'like comparing apples to oranges'

pretty hypocritical really

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Anything Conroy says is complete and utter garbage and should be immediately disregarded and forever deleted from your memory without consideration or after thought.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
you should listen to the man during senate question time

most pathetic thing i have ever heard

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
The graphic with that article and the article itself is incorrect. The NBN will be capable of offering speeds (eventually) of 1000 Mbs, which is equal to that of South Korea. Initally the maximum plan is 100Mbs, however using the fibre optic cable it is possible to offer speeds of 1000Mbs althoguh to achieve those speeds you have to upgrade the hubs and ports at the exchanges (which will occur over the next few years gradually). So the speed is/will actually be the same as South Korea.

As for the cost, I don't know how many times larger Australia is that South Korea, although at a guess it is more than 24 times larger in land mass so its no surprise it will cost more.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
you are forgetting that south korea/japan etc have relied heavily on private investment

which is the whole point

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
you are forgetting that south korea/japan etc have relied heavily on private investment

which is the whole point
How? Telstra and Optus have had years to do a massive fibre rollout and haven't. If private enterprise done it, only the most profitable suburbs in the capital cities would get it.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
"However, the EIU report does not mention NBN Co's announcement last year that its network will also be capable of the same speeds as South Korea's network. Shortly before the federal election, chief executive Mike Quigley announced the fibre network would be built to carry speeds of 1 gigabit per second in a bid to differentiate the project from the opposition's broadband policy."

The headline and the graphic are totally misleading.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
the australian telco industry is shit, that's the first problem

the industry needs to be made more competitive by breaking telstra's monopoly

it's likely that this would encourage further investment in rural/regional areas through competition, minus the massive government expenditure

oh btw i'm not sure when it became the god-given right of homesteads out in woop-woop to receive access to the ultra high-speed broadband when the rest of taxpaying australians are required to foot the bill

i mean why can they not scratch out their living with adsl

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I think the idea is that by prosperous urban taxpayers footing the bill for deploying the NBN to regional areas, the cost will be recouped in the long term. By overcoming the tyranny of distance, commercial, medical and residential opportunities in regional areas will ostensibly be improved.

tl;dr short term pain (taxpayers footing the bill) for long term gain (greater regional development/prosperity and tax revenue blah blah)

idk whether it'll work that way though

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
but what are the actual chances of getting an ROI from rural areas? Not great I'd guess...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
By overcoming the tyranny of distance, commercial, medical and residential opportunities in regional areas will ostensibly be improved.
So, basically wealth distribution from productive to unproductive?

It has nothing to with "the tyranny of distance"; these people live in areas that produce an insufficient amount of goods/services that society of aggregate values, and so they can't afford to have the same standard of living as productive areas.

It is sickening that people are coercively forced into subsidising these people's lifestyles, and it is entirely hilarious that people think high-speed internet will fix anything.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
It has nothing to with "the tyranny of distance"; these people live in areas that produce an insufficient amount of goods/services that society of aggregate values, and so they can't afford to have the same standard of living as productive areas.
i think that an analogy is valid here

imagine that johnny redneck goes to sydney/melbourne and notices that there are large numbers of restaurants of every type dotted about the place

he then goes back to his small country town and notices that there are fewer restaurants of lesser quality

would his first instinct be to lobby the government to subsidise the establishment of more restaurants and eateries in his town?

the argument for the extension of the nbn to rural areas is akin to responding in the affirmative to the above

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
the entire thing is a load of shit yeah

im not a libertarian at all and am ok with state spending too but come on

43 billion or whatever so macca in walgett or mumbil can download ps2 roms faster yeah ok

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
[quoite]why not
[/quote]

libertarianism but more particularly its more extreme variants are not convincing to me at all

i dunno ive never bothered to flesh out my suspicions through sustained examination economics is not something i particularly follow (at least not yet)

who knows

unlike taco or whatever im not the kind of person who rushes into a something pretedning he knows about it

well at least i try not to lol

think retards lecturing you about how dangerous nuclear power is

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)