Need a bit of help with something (1 Viewer)

manipulation

HSC
Hello people.

I am doing my PIP at the moment.

I want to do it on Magic/magicians.

I am basically focusing on how magic has became so popular over time (magicians were once acused of being witches and burnt at the stake)

I need a bit of help in deciding what the topic should actually be called for my PIP.

At the moment It is 'How the views of magic and magicians have changed over time?'

Is that statement to 'open' for the pip???

Can someone help me out in simplifying the topic of my PIP???

Many thanks,
Manipulation.

trishargh

HSC
You can always make something fit in with the concepts.
And theres nothing wrong with starting now.
As long as they put in the hard work, its never too late.

[=

at least thats what our teacher is telling our class...since we're all miserably behind!!

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
trishargh said:
You can always make something fit in with the concepts.
i agree for the most part. =)

For this topic maybe you can even use the rejection/acceptance of Harry Potter as a case study and compare it to joan of arc's time..

As for the question, I dont know if I could be of much help. I had a focus question for my topic as well, but eventually i got lost in the entire topic. I just figured I could cover more than I was initially looking for and now i don't even have a focus question ='(

Focus questions can give your research some guidance though..

so perhaps you could narrow your topic to a specific time span. eg from this generation to that generation.. kinda thing.

Also, "magic" is a pretty broad topic - it can be spread from little magicians performing in a circus to all those that people call "black magic".. perhaps focusing on one area could help like "sorcery and witchcraft"?

..hmm, i think this post would make me sound weird.. but ah yeh..

Last edited:
N

noir.

trishargh said:
at least thats what our teacher is telling our class...since we're all miserably behind!!
thats just a way of enouraging you guys

But anywho, i really think the thread starter should stay far far away from magic and magicians, even he uses concepts that relate to it. Its just not a pip

eyestodiefor

HSC
Could you look at magic in terms of the essence of trickery in relation to religion ?

I had this from a lecture a few months ago

Primitive man was enslaved to magic; luck, good and bad, entered into all the affairs of life. At first, these luck petitions were monologues--just a kind of thinking out loud by the magic server. Next, these believers in luck would enlist the support of their friends and families, and presently some form of ceremony would be performed which included the whole clan or tribe. When the concepts of ghosts and spirits evolved, these petitions became superhuman in address, and with the consciousness of gods, such expressions attained to the levels of genuine prayer. As an illustration of this, among certain Australian tribes primitive religious prayers antedated their belief in spirits and superhuman personalities.

But thats deffinately sociological - it pretty much entails all of the society and culture concepts. You could even look at the sociological need associated with trickery/magic - in terms of humour in the unknown and the allowing of ones self to be visually decieved; which is why the religion thing works becasue you will find many a sociologist who argues that religion is nothing more than hope. Not being in support or otherwise of the view as my religious standing has nothing to do with your PIP, but you will need a concept before you start delving into the world of 'magic' because it is really broad and you will get a whole lot of different answers from here there and everywhere.

The main link to magic though if you're taking it back to those times as in the blurb would probably be existentialism.

And its not a huge hinderance starting your PIP now in terms of completion - its more the fact that you've got other subjects which also require attention, but time management is of the essence to any HSC participant. Despite that I refuse to research anymore for my topic and I've written and had my proposal approved - mines not started either, and I think a lot of people are in a similar situation so don't stress.

Hope to have been some help

Kaitlin
English Ext 2
Modern History
History Ext
Society and Culture
Economics

joeyann

HSC
i think its fantastic you've tried to steer away from the typical topics chosen, but i have to admit, this will be a tricky one.

however, it does fit into the S&C concepts as magician (or witches) was a stereotype, if you, like, in primitive times. They could even equate to the "nerds","goths" or "wiccans" of today, or any minority or repressed group of our times.

as to noir's reply, you shouldn't be too quick to judge. Think laterally, this topic may actually work, if it is viewed at the right angle.

good luck with your PIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)