Need advice about EE2, and fast! / They STILL won't let me do EE2! (1 Viewer)

beckywecky

HSC
Need advice about EE2, and fast!

Okay, so I attend a relatively normal state school. I've just started year 12 and am already doing Extension English 1. I've showed a very serious interest in doing Extension English 2, but there are a few problems that have arisen...

No one has ever done it at my school before, and the only person who ever tried dropped out after a term. My EE1 teacher, although he has never taught it before, was not particularly adverse to the idea last term, but today he said that he probably doesn't have the time to teach it. Both him and the careers advisor, even though they think i'm capable, don't want me doing it... "It's too much work, you're the only one wanting to do it," yada yada yada...

I don't want to be a total pain in the arse for my teacher, but I am really determined to do EE2... The careers advisor said that if I really want to do it, I might have to travel to another school to do the class. I have to make a decision in the next two days so we can organise something...

Things would be so much easier if I could study it at my own school. Any advice? I have no idea what to do...

Porcia

HSC
travelling to another school to do the class is probably something the careers advisor made up to discourage you from that subject - if u like it give it ur full shot and do it; you wont regret it.

nwatts

HSC
Ask a teacher from outside your school to be your teacher. Find a good english teacher, or a family member, friend... whatever. And do it all out of school.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
If you're determined I'm sure the teachers will pull their fingers out of their arses and be your teacher. It's a very rewarding course at the end of it all and i would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the subject. If the teachers from your school refuse, do what nwatts said and get another teacher from a different school to help you out.
Good luck

kiteblood

HSC
Your teachers sound both selfish and incredibly unprofessional. They may discourage you, but they can't legally stop you from taking the course. I was also the only person at my school who took EE2; only two people had taken the course in the past 20-30 years. The fact is that there's really no set structure. Some schools run regular classes for the course, some only meet one/twice a week. I met with my teacher maybe three or four times throughout the entire year. It's not about your teaching having the time, it's about him making the time. What the hell does he think he gets paid for?

The course is really driven by individual initiative. If you choose not to do the course make sure it's for the right reasons, rather than because your teachers pressured you. If you end up hating it, just drop it.

Your teacher should shoot himself in the face for being a pompous asshole.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Actually, schools are within their rights to refuse to run a subject if it has insufficient numbers however because of the individual nature of EE2 this is usually not a big problem. If you push hard enough your teacher(s) might budge, however it would probably be easier all round if you did the course externally with another school or even a TAFE because you don't want to waste too much time and effort arguing when you could be writing. I personally studied EE2 externally at Wollongong TAFE and while the travel was a bother because my classes were so infrequent(and email oh so useful) I dont think I was overly disadvantaged.
Goodluck in your endeavour.:)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Apart from the assessments, i think the EE2 course is pretty much all about you. In terms of guidance, you have us BOSers =)

Apart from that, you're in control of everything. I don't know how your assessments will function now if you can't do it in school, but yeah, i don't even see the purpose of "classes" for EE2.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
All you do in EE2 classes is sit around and bludge anyway. All you really need is a teacher to ship off the paper work for you and mark about three assessment tasks. Piece of cake. I'm sure any teacher in the english dept. would happily read over your major work if they have spare time. If not, you can always rely on BOS (cos we rule!).

kiteblood

HSC
kami said:
Actually, schools are within their rights to refuse to run a subject if it has insufficient numbers however because of the individual nature of EE2 this is usually not a big problem.
Well I suppose you're right, but yeah, that would generally apply to classes in which the teacher plays a more active role.

666_blessings said:
All you really need is a teacher to ship off the paper work for you and mark about three assessment tasks.
My teacher only gave me one assessment task throughout the entire year. I was never even approached about the Viva Voice. I have no idea if that's going to affect my marks; theoretically no. I guess the internal assessment is based on one mark. He never even gave me an /50 mark for my work. I think he was incompetent.

beckywecky

HSC
Mmhm

Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean.

Ultimately, as you all said, it's about individual work and not classes.

I looked into Distance Education, and from what I can see on their website they don't run it, but I'll give them a call - the internet is often not reliable.

Gah, some people really piss me off... I've been pretty discouraged from it, but the fact that people think I can't do it is what's making me so determined to shove it up their arse and prove them wrong.

*Smiles

The careers advisor told me if I was his daughter he'd "bloody well knock me over the head for me thinking I should do it." - Loser.

A friend from a private boys school did EE2 and sent me his story - it's honestly a crock of crap... If he can produce an unstructured and uninteresting story which is full of flaws only because he goes to a school which will let him, why can't I have the chance to reach my potential?

Hmm...

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
The politics of education =P. Any idiot could do EE2, the problem is that it comes attached to EE1 (and english *yawns* advanced).

beckywecky

HSC
Well, I just talked to the careers advisor, and it seems that the head teachers main concern is the profound impact EE2 may have on my other classes... Has anyone found this with the subject? They're just worried that I won't be able to cope... I've been a bit sick this year, so absences have been an issue, and I do often procrastinate and leave things to the last minute... BUT, it's something i'm passionate about and I know I have to get my arse into gear to get the UAI I want, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I have to go talk to the only teacher in the department who's taught it to get some advice now.

Yawn.

What does everyone think?

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I wouldn't worry about it having too profound an effect on your other subjects. I did EE2 and 4u maths, not a problem at all. The best thing abt EE2 is that you can just do a bit everyday (just like every other subject) and whenever you have some spare time.

HSC
N/A
Oh for crying out loud!!!

EE2 will NOT have dastardly effects on your other english subjects. It's more or less an offline subject - you'll do a few hour's of good writing a week (at home) and you'll be fine!!!!!!! And you'll enjoy the writing!!!!! *wants to swear*

EE2, hour-wise, is probably the most flexible known to man. You can write whenever you choose to - on the train, in your frees. I rarely did more than a few hours per week, and it's easy enough to do in one afternoon. It's really up to you - the more work your MW requires, the more you put in. As it's creative writing, and if you have a passion for it, you'll WANT to put the hours in. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. You know what, I bet that if it was a maths subject, they'd think it was fine. All you have to do is study. WIMPY SCARED-OF-ENGLISH teachers.

*not happy*

I very strongly suggest you have a chat to goldendawn, who I think was the first (and only in his grade) to do EE2 at his school. illodous (also at the school) was also the only person in his grade to do EE2.

I'm a bit blase about their cases, because happily, they *got* EE2 before I met them. As you're still fighting, I am royally pissed off and right there on the front line with you.

EE2 is a fantastic subject for those who hate schedules. So long as you work somewhat consistently, you do work whenever and wherever the heck you please. I found myself doing no work some weeks, and writing for hours on end when I was in the right mood in other times. It didn't clash with *any* of my other subjects, and was one of the only subjects I actually looked forward to in my HSC year.

For the teacher's part, all they really have to do is have a one-hour interview with you once a week. There are three internal assessments over the year, one of which tends to be a speech, and the others are short essays. EASY EASY EASY.

In my opinion, the fundamental core of EE2 is the desire to write. If you've got that, you won't mind working on the assessments - yes they do require work, but in essence all they really do is get you to talk about your MW - your baby, your precious. (Your RS is sort of the Big Kahuna of the three internal assessments combined, and with a smaller wordcount. How beautiful! How logical! I love it!)

Keep us posted!

EDIT: Don't worry too much about having to travel to another school. As mentioned previously, at most all that will be required is a weekly interview, which can more or less be conducted over the phone, or email (god bless email).

ADDING ON: I should take this opportunity now to calm down a bit and state for the record that EE2 is not an "easy" subject, and it does in fact require work to achieve the high marks. A lot of the people here might say it's easy, because they've found the work enjoyable and hate the long hours of study associated with rote-learning, which accounts for a large portion of the HSC.

However - us writers take a lot for granted. Most of us here love to read, and have been reading since an early age. We know the difference between a well-crafted piece and a dud, and what's more important is that we have all learnt how to WRITE a well-crafted piece. We are passionate and disciplined enough to work in our own time and work on the one piece for about a year - that's a long, long time. It's not easy, but because we love it, the workload appears easier.

There is a *lot* of assumed knowledge and assumed skills in EE2. For those that have done it, give yourselves a pat on the back. For those who are considering taking EE2, make sure it is for the right reasons. Scaling advantages will be almost non-existent if you have not read somewhat extensively. You don't need to have read all the hard-core stuff, but you should still be able to appreciate them for what they are, and basic writing exercises should not be a problem for you.

Whilst EE2 might be more fun than EE1, the work can still be hard. It's different, but it's still hard. I slaved over my RS, and went through many times in my writing process where I just wanted to curl up into a ball and die - I just couldn't get things to happen like I wanted them to (and I've been writing for years!). Come on people, can't you remember the agonies of your first full draft? It was hard getting there, and hard still to re-work the darn thing into something workable. At times like this, there's no-one to tell you what to do or how to do it, you've really got to just go at it on your own. Here is where a lot of non-natural writers will taper off, saying "it's too hard". This is where EE2 writers have to roll up their sleeves, and shift the creativity onto the high gear.

Maybe it's true that any idiot could do EE2, but they couldn't all write a *good* creative writing piece. And in EE2, it's about quality.

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I think Glitterfairy's pretty much said it all. Just do the course and if they try to stop you, just drop a line on BOS and we'll be there with baseball bats and chainsaws.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Oh for crying out loud!!!

EE2 will NOT have dastardly effects on your other english subjects. It's more or less an offline subject - you'll do a few hour's of good writing a week (at home) and you'll be fine!!!!!!! And you'll enjoy the writing!!!!! *wants to swear*

EE2, hour-wise, is probably the most flexible known to man. You can write whenever you choose to - on the train, in your frees. I rarely did more than a few hours per week, and it's easy enough to do in one afternoon. It's really up to you - the more work your MW requires, the more you put in. As it's creative writing, and if you have a passion for it, you'll WANT to put the hours in. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. You know what, I bet that if it was a maths subject, they'd think it was fine. All you have to do is study. WIMPY SCARED-OF-ENGLISH teachers.

*not happy*

I very strongly suggest you have a chat to goldendawn, who I think was the first (and only in his grade) to do EE2 at his school. illodous (also at the school) was also the only person in his grade to do EE2.

I'm a bit blase about their cases, because happily, they *got* EE2 before I met them. As you're still fighting, I am royally pissed off and right there on the front line with you.

EE2 is a fantastic subject for those who hate schedules. So long as you work somewhat consistently, you do work whenever and wherever the heck you please. I found myself doing no work some weeks, and writing for hours on end when I was in the right mood in other times. It didn't clash with *any* of my other subjects, and was one of the only subjects I actually looked forward to in my HSC year.

For the teacher's part, all they really have to do is have a one-hour interview with you once a week. There are three internal assessments over the year, one of which tends to be a speech, and the others are short essays. EASY EASY EASY.

In my opinion, the fundamental core of EE2 is the desire to write. If you've got that, you won't mind working on the assessments - yes they do require work, but in essence all they really do is get you to talk about your MW - your baby, your precious. (Your RS is sort of the Big Kahuna of the three internal assessments combined, and with a smaller wordcount. How beautiful! How logical! I love it!)

Keep us posted!

EDIT: Don't worry too much about having to travel to another school. As mentioned previously, at most all that will be required is a weekly interview, which can more or less be conducted over the phone, or email (god bless email).

ADDING ON: I should take this opportunity now to calm down a bit and state for the record that EE2 is not an "easy" subject, and it does in fact require work to achieve the high marks. A lot of the people here might say it's easy, because they've found the work enjoyable and hate the long hours of study associated with rote-learning, which accounts for a large portion of the HSC.

However - us writers take a lot for granted. Most of us here love to read, and have been reading since an early age. We know the difference between a well-crafted piece and a dud, and what's more important is that we have all learnt how to WRITE a well-crafted piece. We are passionate and disciplined enough to work in our own time and work on the one piece for about a year - that's a long, long time. It's not easy, but because we love it, the workload appears easier.

There is a *lot* of assumed knowledge and assumed skills in EE2. For those that have done it, give yourselves a pat on the back. For those who are considering taking EE2, make sure it is for the right reasons. Scaling advantages will be almost non-existent if you have not read somewhat extensively. You don't need to have read all the hard-core stuff, but you should still be able to appreciate them for what they are, and basic writing exercises should not be a problem for you.

Whilst EE2 might be more fun than EE1, the work can still be hard. It's different, but it's still hard. I slaved over my RS, and went through many times in my writing process where I just wanted to curl up into a ball and die - I just couldn't get things to happen like I wanted them to (and I've been writing for years!). Come on people, can't you remember the agonies of your first full draft? It was hard getting there, and hard still to re-work the darn thing into something workable. At times like this, there's no-one to tell you what to do or how to do it, you've really got to just go at it on your own. Here is where a lot of non-natural writers will taper off, saying "it's too hard". This is where EE2 writers have to roll up their sleeves, and shift the creativity onto the high gear.

Maybe it's true that any idiot could do EE2, but they couldn't all write a *good* creative writing piece. And in EE2, it's about quality.
What she said :)

beckywecky

HSC
I like your thoughts - sheer brilliance.

Yes, I will do EE2. I will shove it up their royal english butts when I gain a good mark - THAT'LL SHOW THE BASTARDS.

Haha... And, if all else fails - there is the baseball bat and chainsaw option.

I have to be a bit sneaky and go behind the head teachers back (my EE1 teacher) and ask around a bit to find a mentor cause he's refusing to do it... He'll get pissed off but hey, it's not my problem if he's scared of change and scared of teaching something he knows nothing about.

Looks like I'll be the first at my school to do it/complete it.

Here's hoping.

I'll keep you posted.

When does the actual course start? Is it essential to have a mentor/teacher from school to help me through the process?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
You *do* need someone to mark your internal assessments, and also to mark/check the writing process. Cue line: "EE2 is marked internally as a process, and externally as a product". The ration is roughly half-half - you do need to have it marked decently internally.

Again, I strongly recommend you chat to either goldendawn or illodous (particularly goldendawn) as they've been through the same thing. As much as I admire your dedication going around behind their backs isn't always a good thing - definately do your research, but a whole year's worth of sneaking just isn't realistically possible. Happily, you've got a while to run around - a lot of classes etc won't be finalised till the end of term. Maybe do it at TAFE? Hmm, if you're looking at tafe as an option, chat to kami...

beckywecky

HSC
*Nods*

Thanks very much for your advice. Sneaking around though, won't be permanent - the c.advisor just suggested I don't ask the other teachers around him... He seems to think that because I'm not at a selective/private/all girls school, I have no hope... I transferred from a private school to a public school for goodness sake, and it was the best move I have ever made.

But alas, bitching on this forum will get me nowhere.

Time to get active :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)