need advice-changing majors (1 Viewer)

somechick

HSC
N/A
hi,
i need advice on chaning majors from writing to journalism. I want to get a job and dont think i have a good chance with writing, and i wanted to get into journalism ages ago...so i want to change majors, but is it too late now? like on e-request you can still do that but im so confused because internal transfers are not possible till next year!

help ...:(

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Changing from one UTS communications degree to another isn't something you can just do on e request, that is more for other faculties like business etc. Changing from writing to journalism is changing degree (each of the communications degrees has a separate course code and everything), and you can't apply for an internal transfer until the end of first year. Even then it is not a given, a lot of people want to transfer in to journalism so you will be assessed with everyone else.

If it makes you feel any better, journalism students can't usually find jobs easily either :) It's the price one pays for wanting to be involved in the cultural industries.

But seriously, if you do want to become a journalist you can still do it with the writing degree, just try for work experience and stuff, and try and get your writing published etc. Having a writing degree won't alienate you from journalism opportunities.

leeam

HSC
what uni? sounds interesting-it doesnt appear that there are too many of us aspiring journalists out there!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There are far far far too many apiring journalists in the world for my liking... I graduate at the end of the year, and getting a job is so damn competitive! So many people applying!

somechick

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
There are far far far too many apiring journalists in the world for my liking... I graduate at the end of the year, and getting a job is so damn competitive! So many people applying!
i know what you mean. but i guess you have to beat the competition ey?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
.... or just stay at uni forever. I'm probably doing an honours year... hmm then doing postgrad study sounds fun too..... hmmm then after that..... ladidahdidah I don't want to enter the real world!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)