Need Advice; Economics or Commerce? (1 Viewer)

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
I'm a first year student in my final semester at SIBT. Next year I'll be going into the second year of a Macquarie Uni degree, and now I'm in the process of evaluating my options.

I have an interest in economics, but I'm aware that an accounting focused degree would have better job prospects. I'd also like to begin my CA accreditation at the end of my degree.

So here are my questions...

1. Would a straight B.Com allow me to double-major in Accounting and Finance?

2. What about a B.Com-Accg? Is it too strict for me to double-major? Does it look better than just a straight B.Com degree?

3. Am I right in assuming there's no way I could double-major in Accounting and Finance while doing a B.Ec?

4. Is it possible for me to do a double degree of a B.Com with a B.Ec?

5. Would it be possible to structure a B.Ec study program that would still allow me to become CA accredited?

6. Would it be worth my time considering a double degree of a B.Com with a B.App.Fin?

7. Any other advice?

Okay, sorry for all the stupid questions. And thanks in advance for those who come to answer my post.

Cheers,
Luke. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll try to answer as best I can, but others may have better responses (ie Macq students)

1. Yes, macquarie B.Com should have double majors
2. I think a B.Com-Accg gives you more freedom of electives (good for choosing the CA subject requirements)
3. I think so, because in a B.Ec, you already have one major in Economics
4. Unsure
5. Yes, if you major in accounting and pick the CA required subjects (ie the business law and finance subjects)
6. If you think its worthwhile then go for it (if you want to go down the finance/banking path)
7. My advice is to visit the commerce faculty's site: http://www.efs.mq.edu.au/ to get more accurate information.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
refer to the same thread you posted in the macquarie uni forum...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I just thought I'd add a bit to this question- hope it helps!

5. Would it be possible to structure a B.Ec study program that would still allow me to become CA accredited?

Definitely. IIRC the Big4 have accepted people with Economics degrees majoring in Accounting prior to commencing CA- and the ICAA is changing the rules for which degrees can enter the CA program as well as reducing the minimum work experience requirements.

From 2007, graduates with non-accounting degrees will have the opportunity to sit a pre-entry exam to
assess their eligibility and/or further study required to commence the CA Program. Two outcomes are
possible from this pre-entry exam. Firstly, if all components are successfully passed, the graduate will
be eligible to commence the CA Program. Alternatively, if the graduate was unsuccessful in some or
all exam components, they will be required to undertake accredited conversion course subjects in these
specifi c areas.
Taken from the 2007 CA FAQ: http://www.icaa.org.au/upload/download/CAP2007_FAQs.pdf

This link is a bit old but it might be able to guide you;
http://www.icaa.org.au/entry/index.cfm?menu=320&id=A102571048

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)