• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need Advice :( (1 Viewer)

Totally Lost

HSC
N/A
Hi all, I need some advice as what I should do with my education at this time.

Here are some facts:

Im currently 21

Currently enrolled in my 4th year of Engineering at UNSW

I've had 10 failures so far (No BS)

Have another 21 subjects to go before completion of degree, that assuming I dont fail anymore subjects.

Have a GPA (7pt) of around 2.8 :eek: , and an average of 52.80

Im also enrolled at this current time in SIBT, with the possibility of doing BIT, or BCom, etc.

Should I continue with my current degree, along with the poor results, or should I start all over at SIBT? Im just afraid that if I continue on with my current engineering degree, I wont be able to secure employment because of my results.

Totally Lost

Generator

HSC
N/A
Have you considered dropping out of university all together?

Totally Lost

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Have you considered dropping out of university all together?
If I drop out, what do I do with my life? I dont have a degree.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Totally Lost said:
If I drop out, what do I do with my life? I dont have a degree.
Ah, this may surprise you, but you don't need a degree in order to have a successful (and financially secure) life.

I suggest that you take the time to explore all of your options, and that involves considering what you could do without a degree.

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
study ur arse off for the remaining 21 subjects and hope to be employed?
Firstly, that won't happen.

Secondly, what's the point? Wow, he'll have a degree in Engineering*

*with a just-pass average

Totally Lost: Could you move to an area that you might actually enjoy? Say, marketing, english, computing, or something?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Is there a reason behind these failures? Have you merely put absolutely no effort in to these subjects at all, or have they come after a regime of trying your hardest?

Whichever the case, I think that you should lend some credence to what Generator said; university just isn't for some people. If the former example is the case, it is possible that you could suceed, but going from 0 to 'Complete HD Nerd' doesn't happen overnight, and would likely frustrate you.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:

Totally Lost: Could you move to an area that you might actually enjoy? Say, marketing, english, computing, or something?
Well he is realising that he's in shit right now. I think that's enough motivation, but only he/she will know for sure.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
PwarYuex said:

Firstly, who knows that won't happen? Got a time machine at your side there, chief?

Secondly, it's that sort of intellectual snobbery that I hate. :) Wow, he'll have a degree in Engineering. Meaning he met the requirements for a degree in Engineering. Meaning he's satisfied all the university's prerequisites to be awarded that degree, and has the skills necessary according to the university to become an engineer. I suggest you pull your head out of your arse and realise that pass degrees mean that the graduate has the skills necessary to perform in that field, if the degree is accredited.

Also, not everybody is a quick study. We can't all be supersmart and get HDs and Dean's Scholars, and PhDs etc. Some people can't pick things they like up as fast as others. It's funny how we're all unique that way, eh?

With a just pass average? Fuck off. :)

Totally Lost said:
Hi all, I need some advice as what I should do with my education at this time.

Here are some facts:

Im currently 21

Currently enrolled in my 4th year of Engineering at UNSW

I've had 10 failures so far (No BS)

Have another 21 subjects to go before completion of degree, that assuming I dont fail anymore subjects.

Have a GPA (7pt) of around 2.8 , and an average of 52.80

Im also enrolled at this current time in SIBT, with the possibility of doing BIT, or BCom, etc.

Should I continue with my current degree, along with the poor results, or should I start all over at SIBT? Im just afraid that if I continue on with my current engineering degree, I wont be able to secure employment because of my results.

Totally Lost
What do you really want to do in life? If it's engineering, then I'd advise you to stay at university and continue with your degree. If it's otherwise, then perhaps you might want to adjust your career plan accordingly. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SIBT is expensive...make up your mind soon.

If you're finding engineering is the wrong field for you then I'd suggest dropping out (21 subjects thats still a shitload to do) 8/year thats almost 3 years left. And if you are going into BIT or BCom, make sure you realise that your previous transcript will follow you, so you can't 'erase' them.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
PwarYuex said:

they are the new general degree... 4 yrs with ideal analytical skills for commerce too...

umm yeah but with 10 failure there is questions about where their real interest lies..

Totally Lost

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
SIBT is expensive...make up your mind soon.

If you're finding engineering is the wrong field for you then I'd suggest dropping out (21 subjects thats still a shitload to do) 8/year thats almost 3 years left.
Im not quite sure what I want to do with my engineering degree. I certainly dont enjoy the electrical subjects, nor do I enjoy the 10 unit maths that this degree demands. I however have done well in programming subjects, and those general skills courses, which usually consists of essays and presentations.

You are right there, 3 years minimum provided that I dont fail anymore subjects. In the same time, I could also be doing a degree at Macquarie, with a far better effort than what I have done so far in my current degree.

AsyLum said:
And if you are going into BIT or BCom, make sure you realise that your previous transcript will follow you, so you can't 'erase' them.
Ive heard that different uni - different transcript, and that if you transfer within your uni, then yes, it does stay on your transcript with your new degree.

Can some one who has transferred to a different uni confirm if your previous transcript is also printed on your current transcript?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It seems that it'll remain on your 'academic record' (whatever that entails) but it won't be printed or used to calculate WAM or other things at your new uni.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Can you use the subjects you have studied to credit towards another degree?

It really depends on why you have failed the subjects, if you feel the degree is right for you and what else is going on in your life. If you have failed because the workload is too much or you have too much else happening around you, you could do uni part time and work part-time.

If you don't enjoy the electrical and maths subjects I would probably advise to change to another degree, because 3 years is a long time to be stuck doing something you don't really enjoy. You can get another degree in that time. So SIBT might be a better option. But you still have to consider the reasons why you have failed the other subjects and whether that is likely to happen at SIBT as well.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Since when do academic fails stay with you if you switch degrees, I don't know where people hear this from? I know people who switch degrees in their last year to up their GPA from bad performances and only the above fail marks transfer because a fail can not be considered as a credit towards another degree. Once you cancel a degree and enrol in another your successful marks for relevant subjects will transfer, everything else stays in the other enrolment. This is speaking from personal experience, perhaps when I work the system I manage to find people who bend the rules so if anyone knows of a set of University laws that specifically specify that your fails follow please show me.

Having 10 fails behind you means more than a wasted year, you might not be suited to the degree in question as others have said, nothing wrong with that, one friend of mine started in electrical then switched to environmental then to civil and finally ended up being a helicopter mechanic through a TAFE course. There's nothing wrong with pulling out if it doesn't suit you, problems happen when you fail to accept that this particular path you tread is not suited to you. As for switching to another degree just make sure if you hate maths that the new degree doesn't have too much of it.

santaslayer

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Since when do academic fails stay with you if you switch degrees, I don't know where people hear this from? I know people who switch degrees in their last year to up their GPA from bad performances and only the above fail marks transfer because a fail can not be considered as a credit towards another degree. Once you cancel a degree and enrol in another your successful marks for relevant subjects will transfer, everything else stays in the other enrolment. This is speaking from personal experience, perhaps when I work the system I manage to find people who bend the rules so if anyone knows of a set of University laws that specifically specify that your fails follow please show me.

Having 10 fails behind you means more than a wasted year, you might not be suited to the degree in question as others have said, nothing wrong with that, one friend of mine started in electrical then switched to environmental then to civil and finally ended up being a helicopter mechanic through a TAFE course. There's nothing wrong with pulling out if it doesn't suit you, problems happen when you fail to accept that this particular path you tread is not suited to you. As for switching to another degree just make sure if you hate maths that the new degree doesn't have too much of it.
Not really. For me, if I failed 10 subjects (in a row) it would be exactly a year! :p

Judst think of the money you could be raking in from getting a sexy job. All you need to do is get like fucking 21 HD's. High end HD's. Not fucking piss weak 85.

Good luck. :)

X

xeuyrawp

poloktim said:
Firstly, who knows that won't happen? Got a time machine at your side there, chief?

Secondly, it's that sort of intellectual snobbery that I hate. :) Wow, he'll have a degree in Engineering. Meaning he met the requirements for a degree in Engineering. Meaning he's satisfied all the university's prerequisites to be awarded that degree, and has the skills necessary according to the university to become an engineer. I suggest you pull your head out of your arse and realise that pass degrees mean that the graduate has the skills necessary to perform in that field, if the degree is accredited.

Also, not everybody is a quick study. We can't all be supersmart and get HDs and Dean's Scholars, and PhDs etc. Some people can't pick things they like up as fast as others. It's funny how we're all unique that way, eh?

With a just pass average? Fuck off. :)
Polok, obviously you're new to the forum,

Please observe a few basic guidelines:
1. Don't be oversensitive,
2. Read the first post.

The first poster said this:

Totally Lost said:
Should I continue with my current degree, along with the poor results,
he himself is saying that the results are bad. Since my only judge is his word, I am assuming that 'only a pass' is bad for him. Hence, a degree with 'only a pass' is a bad result, in relation to this poster. I am not talking about you, or anyone else.

I am not being an intellectual snob.

Please actually read the first post, or not post at all. Your tendency to be a very sensitive would also mean that you should not take what people say as anything to do with you. It has nothing to do with you, it has to do with this poster.

Again, I'm sure you'll find that if you actually read the first post, you might understand what's happening and do a little better for yourself. I know you're slow, but, like I said, this thread is not about you, ok? :)

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
umm yeah but with 10 failure there is questions about where their real interest lies..
Exactly. I don't know the person, but I'd say that he seems 'lost', to use a patronising word.

I reakon that, if he knows he can do better, his talents lie elsewhere.

More importantly, don't fret! A lot of people take a while to find out where they're going. It's just that it doesn't seem this way because 1. people like to have clear goals (regardless of whether they believe in them) to tell people, and 2. people on bos tend to know where they're going.

When you don't do so well, what's the actual reason, Totally Lost? Is it an issue of memory, an issue of time management, or something else? Could you slow down your degree, or maybe pick up some electives? May I ask if you're actually a science/maths person, or if you just want to be? Why not do some humanities?

Lastly, everyone is right in that the fails stays with your record. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

Totally Lost

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies ladies & gents.

Honestly, these failures I have, should be only a few real failures. Most of the failures I get are marks around 45-46, 43. I guess its my fault for not studying each week, and I usually leave it till the last 4 weeks of the semester.

But really, once you get a few failures, and then you hear that the major companies throw away applicants with failures on their transcripts, you lose any hope of being employed. Its been like that since the 2nd year. If only I had known this at the start of my degree, then I would have studied harder, and not leave all assignments, to the last minute.

If there was a reset button, ill definitely push it, even if it means I start again with Engineering. Its the transcript that is making me think of switching to another degree.

Ive actually had mine printed (for SIBT), and the first page isnt stunning at all. Its littered with X, Z, and Fails. Cant imagine an employer looking past those failures, and would have probably made up his/her mind at that point during the interview.

Every person ive talked to, friends, family, etc, have all said the same thing - Stick with Engineering. Then they all say that an Engineering degree is higher than a Business/Commerce degree.

So now im even more lost.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Totally Lost said:
Thanks for the replies ladies & gents.

Honestly, these failures I have, should be only a few real failures. Most of the failures I get are marks around 45-46, 43. I guess its my fault for not studying each week, and I usually leave it till the last 4 weeks of the semester.

But really, once you get a few failures, and then you hear that the major companies throw away applicants with failures on their transcripts, you lose any hope of being employed. Its been like that since the 2nd year. If only I had known this at the start of my degree, then I would have studied harder, and not leave all assignments, to the last minute.

If there was a reset button, ill definitely push it, even if it means I start again with Engineering. Its the transcript that is making me think of switching to another degree.

Ive actually had mine printed (for SIBT), and the first page isnt stunning at all. Its littered with X, Z, and Fails. Cant imagine an employer looking past those failures, and would have probably made up his/her mind at that point during the interview.

Every person ive talked to, friends, family, etc, have all said the same thing - Stick with Engineering. Then they all say that an Engineering degree is higher than a Business/Commerce degree.

So now im even more lost.
Firstly, you seem to listen to people far too much. What do you want?

Secondly, I think that marks are more important to companies hiring from a vocational degree than to companies hiring from a pool of generalists. For example, companies that are after people to write reports would look less at academic marks, and more at practical abilities than a company that is after an engineer. My point is that if you want to be an engineer, the failing issue will have far more of an impact.

Lastly, you seem really down about the whole business. You do realise that all this horse-shit about 'wasting' years of your life is just that? The important thing is to admit that you've screwed up (by not working hard), and then make a decision about what you want to do.

Personally, I think you should try some social sciences, but I'm a dirty arts student. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)