• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need Advice :( (2 Viewers)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Totally Lost said:
Every person ive talked to, friends, family, etc, have all said the same thing - Stick with Engineering. Then they all say that an Engineering degree is higher than a Business/Commerce degree.

So now im even more lost.
Hahahahaha....

Ask yourself if you really want to do a job you hate 10 years from now.

If the answer is no, there's your answer.

Fuck what they think. They aren't going to be working the rest of your life, living your life, or paying off your HECS debt.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Holy shit, this is going to be fun.

PwarYuex said:
Polok, obviously you're new to the forum,
poloktim join date: June 2003
PwarYuex join date: December 2003

Obviously you are new to life, otherwise you'd have realised that June comes before December. :)

Please observe a few basic guidelines:
1. Don't be oversensitive,
2. Read the first post.
If we're giving basic outlines:
3. Don't be an intellectual snob.
4. Read the post you're arguing against.

The first poster said this:
TotallyLost said:
Should I continue with my current degree, along with the poor results,

he himself is saying that the results are bad. Since my only judge is his word, I am assuming that 'only a pass' is bad for him. Hence, a degree with 'only a pass' is a bad result, in relation to this poster. I am not talking about you, or anyone else.
He himself is saying that the results are bad. Unlike in your magical world where everybody is as smart as you, a lot of people actually believe that a poor result is a fail, whereas any result that gets the student past the subject is a good one. Since my only judge is his word, I am assuming that a fail is bad for him. Hence, a degree with 'only a pass' would be a decent result, in relation to this poster, as he would have a degree in the field and can begin working in it, regardless of it being 'only a pass.'

I never assumed you were talking about me. My results aren't the issue here.

I am not being an intellectual snob.
Do you remember the History vs. Maths thread? Do you remember me calling you elitist and a snob? Do you also remember your reaction? I have a feeling your post is just an attempt to clear your name from being classified a snob, since you have such high reservations against elitists and snobs.

Funny how we can become the things we most hate, isn't it?

Please actually read the first post, or not post at all. Your tendency to be a very sensitive would also mean that you should not take what people say as anything to do with you. It has nothing to do with you, it has to do with this poster.
Who said it has anything to do with me? Are you making assumptions about my results at university? I'm pretty sure I've posted my results in the University of Wollongong forum somewhere if you want to get off your high horse and look. :)

Your position to be an intellectual snob would also mean that you should not deny who you are. Remember, when you deny who you are, you can cause serious damage to your mental health later on in life. :)

Again, I'm sure you'll find that if you actually read the first post, you might understand what's happening and do a little better for yourself. I know you're slow, but, like I said, this thread is not about you, ok? :)
Do I need to say more? Perhaps I can get the many mods who are also IRC operators to help me become less slow. :)

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
PwarYuex, you're a 'tard!

I'm obviously new to this whole univeristy thing, but you're an elitist muppet and I didn't need a degree to tell that. The funniest part about it was that I guessed you were a law student based on your pedantic wankerish approach to life, and I was right. Actually, you seem a bit dimwitted to be a law student to be honest, you just don't have that intelligent definition about you, so no doubt you'll end up on that scrap heap called 'law faculty dropout'. Sorry to predict your demise but I'm sure your mum is keeping the faith.

The original poster claims an average of 52 which is a pass, and the motto of any university is 'P's = Degrees'. Can you enlighten me what the difference is between a degree with a WAM of 51 and a WAM of 74, neither graduate with distinction so a degree is a degree. So I can't see the concern, it's just a matter of knuckling down and working, that or a transfer to another course which might not concentrate so much on the academic area in which he is struggling, which in an engineering degree might be the maths, chem or phys. Maybe a more literary based course might be an idea? Find what you enjoy, even if it takes a bit longer. I did that and I couldn't be happier.

PwarYuex: do you know you make my pants tingle when you get all fiesty? Rawr!

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

How am I elitist if the original poster himself says that his marks are bad? Marks are relative to the person, and he himself says his marks are bad.

End of story.

Tim: Get over yourself. This thread is not about you, remember? :)

Raiks: Yeah, elitist, law student, blah blah, intellectual snob, blah blah. Next?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
PwarYuex said:
How am I elitist if the original poster himself says that his marks are bad? Marks are relative to the person, and he himself says his marks are bad.

End of story.

Tim: Get over yourself. This thread is not about you, remember? :)

Raiks: Yeah, elitist, law student, blah blah, intellectual snob, blah blah. Next?
But what about my pants? Are you going to address them? They're still tingling with attraction for your fiestiness!

Totally Lost

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
Since when do academic fails stay with you if you switch degrees, I don't know where people hear this from? I know people who switch degrees in their last year to up their GPA from bad performances and only the above fail marks transfer because a fail can not be considered as a credit towards another degree. Once you cancel a degree and enrol in another your successful marks for relevant subjects will transfer, everything else stays in the other enrolment.
Wow, never knew people actually did this in their final year. I do however enjoy programming, and find the software side of engineering quite interesting. In an attempt to have my previous studies that I have passed be credited, and to remove the failures from my UNSW transcript, what chances would I have transferring to UTS B Engineering (Software), which has a UAI Cutoff of 91 for 2006 if IIRC?

Do unis look at your performances based on the last two semesters, or is it your entire degree so far? I have heard of conflicting answers regarding this. Also, since im over 21, could I just apply as a mature age student, without the need for my uai, and my previous tertiary results?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Totally Lost

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Totally Lost said:
Wow, never knew people actually did this in their final year.
Yeah, I'm looking at doing it -- to change to a BA.

Do unis look at your performances based on the last two semesters, or is it your entire degree so far? I have heard of conflicting answers regarding this.
Usually, it's your whole degree and your whole GPA, unless they say otherwise. I know a lot of unis use different modes of assesment, such as a letter, an interview, etc. I think UTS has a letter application of some sort.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Highly amused at the 'you must be a new member' quip directed at poloktim.....classic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)