• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need good intro law book (1 Viewer)

onemind

HSC
Hi,

I am a cpmputer science student and just finished first year. In november i applied for transfer to law and to my suprise i got in.

After all that maths and programming i really need to shake out of computer mode and more into english/law mode and was hoping someone could recommend a good intro to oz law book that i can read during holidays so i dont go in cold and make a complete fool of myself.

Maybe 2 books would be best.

1 book for explaining a bit of history, structure of the courts ect to put it all into context without too many details on specific cases ect.

And another one that is more focused on law school itself, like tips on how to answer legal questions, moot, and generally survive the whole ordeal with a bit of career advice thrown in.

I am surfing a website called: lawbooks.com.au and they seem to have just about every law book ever written. Is this a reputable bookstore? Anyone else used them?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Congrats on getting in.

'Laying Down The Law' is a good introduction for new law students. In fact I think a number of law schools recommend this book for first year law students, it covers most, if not everything you're asking for in terms of history, structure of courts, how to answer legal questions etc.

'Mastering Law Studies And Law Exam Techniques' is a very good book that deals specifically with law school and performing well in law exams.

'Law In Context' was another good book that will help put you into a legal frame of mind.

If you could only choose one, get Laying Down The Law.

If you're looking for law books, you usually wouldn't need to go beyond your university bookshop, they should stock all the books I mentioned above.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
onemind said:
1 book for explaining a bit of history, structure of the courts ect to put it all into context without too many details on specific cases ect.
Laying Down the Law (as mentioned by RogueAcademic)

onemind said:
And another one that is more focused on law school itself, like tips on how to answer legal questions, moot, and generally survive the whole ordeal with a bit of career advice thrown in.

Surviving Law School
by Michael Brogan and David Spencer.

For specific career advice there is the Career FAQs: Law by Peter Jordan. (MoonlightSonata kinda err...copied...some of it in this thread)

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
ari89 said:
Laying Down the Law (as mentioned by RogueAcademic)

Surviving Law School
by Michael Brogan and David Spencer.

For specific career advice there is the Career FAQs: Law by Peter Jordan. (MoonlightSonata kinda err...copied...some of it in this thread)
These are both great and I used Laying Down the Law in first year. UWS uses it, not sure if anyone else does.

Lawbooks is great and usually cheaper than coop as long as you order enough books and just make sure u order them early so they arrive in time.

Last edited:
T

thegovernator

what everyone else said. laying down the law. get it, read it. I know UTS and USYD both use it.

good luck @ law school btw :D

onemind

HSC
Thanks guys.

I just ordered Laying Down The Law and Surviving Law School :)

One last question, do computer nerds get eaten in law school?

T

thegovernator

no you won't get your head flushed down a toilet

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Watch out for the wedgies though. I suggest not wearing any underwear to counter any potential wedgies.

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
onemind said:
One last question, do computer nerds get eaten in law school?
Not usually.... you are no longer in High School....

Notwithstanding the big egos that all law students have :D, but (mostly/usually/more or less) conceal,
you'll find that the percentage of d!ck-headery is no greater than in the general populace.

The main difference between scientific subjects and law is that in law, there are nowhere near as many absolutes of right and wrong.

And you are buying the right books.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
Timbo650 said:
Not usually.... you are no longer in High School....

Notwithstanding the big egos that all law students have :D, but (mostly/usually/more or less) conceal,
you'll find that the percentage of d!ck-headery is no greater than in the general populace.

The main difference between scientific subjects and law is that in law, there are nowhere near as many absolutes of right and wrong.

And you are buying the right books.
I would argue that there is a higher percentage of dick-heardery in law school, because you have a % of people who think they are top shit for doing the degree in the first place (even if they suck at the degree itself), which really pisses me off.

T

thegovernator

they are top shit in terms of hsc achievement usually. but i agree. after you do the hsc and you are in your course, the hsc means nothing, and you are starting from scratch again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)