Need help asap (1 Viewer)

ekjchale#1

HSC
Say for example we are given a solution of unknown cation or anion.
Is there a particular order in which we should do precipitation tests and hence if we were to make a generic flowchart should it indicate this order?

And say for example we are given some statements like this solution has X color in flame test, forms ppt with sulfates (just an example). Identify the cation. How should we approach such questions

Last edited:

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
The order honestly changes for the sample space (i.e. no. and type of ions that are given in the question asked). This is because questions will not ask for all ions, and as such no single flow chart will be correct for every question type. However, I do think it is helpful to keep a flowchart in mind and rather understand it - this is important so that you can apply it to whatever question you may have.

Approaching questions with mystified cations and procedures, is more like a puzzle. We use the rules we know to eliminate possibilities (i.e. if a precipitate forms with the addition of HNO3 and Ba(NO3) we can deduce its Ba2SO4 and not rather its phosphate counterpart).

ekjchale#1

HSC
The order honestly changes for the sample space (i.e. no. and type of ions that are given in the question asked). This is because questions will not ask for all ions, and as such no single flow chart will be correct for every question type. However, I do think it is helpful to keep a flowchart in mind and rather understand it - this is important so that you can apply it to whatever question you may have.

Approaching questions with mystified cations and procedures, is more like a puzzle. We use the rules we know to eliminate possibilities (i.e. if a precipitate forms with the addition of HNO3 and Ba(NO3) we can deduce its Ba2SO4 and not rather its phosphate counterpart).
Aight bro this makes sense thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)