Need Help Choosing a Laptop for Uni (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
haha yeah i've plugged it a few too many times....
*looks at HDD .... only 77GB left* :(

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
any additional info about the laptop hiring scheme?

eq2

HSC
Have a look at the laptops at Officeworks Braddon. It has the widest range in the city and there are heaps on clearance or special. You can also pickup uni supplies cheap there.

Evilo

HSC
myer is advertising an $1800 Asus - pentium 2 duo 2.5ghz! 2GB ram (can be updated), 15" screen - free carry bag, mouse and router!
ZOMG

blacksunset

HSC
i got one very similar to that (except mine was 1.6ghz)
they are brilliant computers, go and get one of them - the carry bag is nice too :)
and the mouse n stuff
yes yes go and get an asus!

chromaKi

HSC
blacksunset said:
You don't need an external hard drive until you pretty much fill your laptop..
Uh... What about backups? And don't tell me you backup your ENTIRE machine up on DVDs. That's clearly crazy! :p

Go with the MacBook. Time Machine is a God-send, I can promise you. Just take an external drive, plug it in, click a single button and off you go. Automatic backups, without ever having to worry about scheduling it while you're asleep. Files are versioned so you can go back in time and restore 'al-a-carte'.

And, it can run VMWare/Parallels and boot into Windows. What more could you possibly ask of a computer?

Last edited:

spakko

HSC
Hi guys! This is my first post and I hope the question i'm asking doesnt sound too dumb. I've just bought a Macbook to replace my old, trusty Dell, but cant log on because I keep getting asked for a password. Probably the password I used on my old laptop - but I cant remember it! I've tried all my usual passwords........What to do?

chromaKi

HSC
Hope you've got your restore discs handy - you'll need them. (This is also why you NEVER carry around your original software discs with your computer.)

Have the machine already running, insert the first software restore disc, restart the machine and after the chime, hold down the C key to boot from the disc. Once machine has booted, select your language, then at the initial Install Mac OS X screen that appears, click on the 'Utilities' menu. Within, there should be a utility to reset your password.

Hope this helps, and welcome to BoS! :)

HedgeMaster

HSC
Hagaren said:
Dell Xps-M1330
Yeh ther pretty good, i got a dell xps M1730, I use it for graphics and stuff, gotta luv the dual SLI geforceM 8700 GT's, perfect for maya, especially since mine is dual booted with OSX, which runs it slick as.
I wouldn't reli recommend this lappy, as its massive and a gaming desktop replacement, and it requires a nuclear reactor 2 run it, lol!!

becthelank

Study Avoider
HSC
hey ive been looking to upgrade my current piece of **** laptop (seriously...its a toshiba satelite and i cant even take it off the powerpoint) im thinking about switching to a mac. i want it to be able to store a fair amount and have a good battery life (ie be able to take it around campus). also...does anyone have any thoughts on the new airs?

Evilo

HSC
I'm anti mac. It's merly a "fashion accessory" that gets dirty really easily. (just think of an ipod). Plus is the OS is inferior. (And poo to the people who suggest dual boot via bootcamp - might aswell buy a pc)

Dell & Asus are going well these days.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
basically what evilo said... dell or asus and if you must get a mac dont get a macbook air it has major overheating issues + theres only so much you can fit into a case that big which leaves it majorly lacking in alot of areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)