need help deciding uni..plaz uni people with EXP (1 Viewer)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
Hey i was just wondering on which uni i should go to, now that i have a little bit of increased choices with my UAI of 97.05.
Initially i was going to go to Macq Uni for the double degree in Bcomm/Blaws which needs a UAI, i think is about 96, but i heard from a friend that internal transfer in that Uni is very easy, and so i thought that this would be a waste of my UAI points, since any dumb person can just choose an Arts degree and do well in it and then have a chance to transfer. WHAT A JOKE!
Then i considered my choices of B. Comm at both sydney and UNSW, and i really dont know what to pick????ANY OPINIONS HERE????
BuT just recently i am thinking about B Commerce (international) which needs a UAI of 97, and plus this requires 1 year away to asian studies, and thus i also want to perfect my manderin etcetc since it is getting very universal etcetc.....

so yeh, i am not too sure.....
I dont really have a SET interest, but commerce is my mainstream idea i guess, but if u guys have any suggestions as to what else i should consider i will take it on board. In the future i just want to have a job that gives me a good pay rate...
My mum told me she wants me to be a doctor, but i cant do it since i havent done UMAT and also my UAI wont get me in so yeh, then she says how about a pharmacist? But i had no clue......

regards

symple

HSC
Arowana21 said:
so i thought that this would be a waste of my UAI points, since any dumb person can just choose an Arts degree and do well in it and then have a chance to transfer. WHAT A JOKE!
It's not a "waste" of your UAI - these are not "points" that you have to "spend".
Also, ummm, generally speaking, dumb people don't do thaaat well, "even" in Arts.

It probably doesn't really matter where you do commerce. However as you seem to have experience with Asian studies in particular, go for something that caters to that! Following your interests is good. =)

Too many people seem to pick courses based solely on the pay rate (or maybe I'm just jealous 'cos I'm not in that league ^^ )

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No no no do not listen to the above person. I have been to both: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU GO NEAR UNSW.

Shaking Paper

HSC
Arowana21 said:
i thought that this would be a waste of my UAI points, since any dumb person can just choose an Arts degree and do well in it and then have a chance to transfer. WHAT A JOKE!
Great attitude, try UWS.

spence

HSC
Arowana21 said:
Initially i was going to go to Macq Uni for the double degree in Bcomm/Blaws which needs a UAI, i think is about 96, but i heard from a friend that internal transfer in that Uni is very easy, and so i thought that this would be a waste of my UAI points, since any dumb person can just choose an Arts degree and do well in it and then have a chance to transfer. WHAT A JOKE!
That is the most piss weak reason not to do a course I've ever heard. Get over yourself and do the course if it interests you

Miss Winey

HSC
Every university is different. they have a feel/atmosphere/vibe about them.
so it is important to find one that suits you.
One good way of deciding that is to visit the campus yourself. Sydney uni is having an open day on the 6th January, so you should go along and check it out.

Picking a course that interests you is also important. This should NOT depend on
a) what your parents want you to do. because ultimately they will die and you will have to live your own life
b) how much money you think you will make in the future - commerce use to be a very popular degree with many people they will get a corporate job in a city high rise afterwards. there is enough evidence to show THIS IS NOT THE CASE for most people. secondly, in the current economic climate, many people with finance degrees are quickly losing their jobs. CBA sacked 2000+ employees in the month!
c)how high the UAI for that degree is - the UAI is only a POPULARITY measure. it is NOT an indictation of how hard the course is or how well paid you will be after you graduate from it

Rather it should depend on
a) what you like doing - this tends to be (although not exclusively) what you good at.
b) what genuinely interests you
There is no chance of you knowing what you will do with your life when you are 18 years old. There is no chance of you knowing EVERY opportunity there is out there.
So keep the door open, and just keep doing that you like and are good at, and the road will naturally fold itself out to you.
Don't drag yourself through something you don't like or aren't good at, for any of the reasons i wrote in the above paragraph.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)