Need help enrolling in B. Economics (1 Viewer)

oct25

HSC
I'm starting a B. Economics planning on majoring in Economics and Accounting.

I've enrolled in:
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)

which are all core subjects.

However, I've been told that its not a good idea to do QMA (1202) and QMB (1203) at the same time.

However, I don't think I have any other options because I'm already enrolled in the only economics and accounting subjects available to me at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I don't want to do free options because I don't want my degree to stretch out any more than it needs to (I want to finish in 3 years).

Can I do general education courses? If so, which ones? (I think they are worth 3 units each so I'll have to do 2)

Finally, I'm also told that I CANNOT do gen ed courses related to business. Why's this?

Thanks!

runnable

HSC
Why not do QMA and QMB in the same sem? QMA is out of commerce core this year so they are changing some course content and it won't be any problem doing both of them together.

I didn't find much overlap in QMA/QMB when I did them.

oct25

HSC
Runnable, thanks so much! Everyone who told me not to do QMA and QMB at same time was a first year in 2009 so these subjects were probably just a lot harder then. Did you find yourself struggling when you did these two?

ValentinesM, MGMT1001 is not a core course for me because I do an economics degree. Im assuming that its a commerce core.

Compulsory core courses account for 36 units of credit (6 courses)

runnable

HSC
I struggled more with QMB than QMA. But that's not a fixed thing, some people liked QMB more, some liked QMA more. Overall, I did well in both courses and yeah no reason you do some random course in your first sem because you think they'll be too hard. Just keep on top of the work.

P.S I was first year in 2009 and did QMA/QMB in 2 sems. Difficulty shouldn't change too much, slight course content movements.

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I'm starting a B. Economics planning on majoring in Economics and Accounting.

I've enrolled in:
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC)
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)

which are all core subjects.

However, I've been told that its not a good idea to do QMA (1202) and QMB (1203) at the same time.

However, I don't think I have any other options because I'm already enrolled in the only economics and accounting subjects available to me at the moment.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I don't want to do free options because I don't want my degree to stretch out any more than it needs to (I want to finish in 3 years).

Can I do general education courses? If so, which ones? (I think they are worth 3 units each so I'll have to do 2)

Finally, I'm also told that I CANNOT do gen ed courses related to business. Why's this?

Thanks!
I gave you an example timetable awhile ago so I won't bother repeating myself there.

Don't worry about free options until late in your degree.

Also, don't bother with gened courses until 2nd year. Getting your compulsory courses done first is a priority. If I could go back in time, I'd leave my gened courses till the very end of my degree to make it easier on myself.

And yes, you can't do geneds within your faculty. University policy. Always has been the case. Still, there are plenty of other geneds to choose from anyway.

Just don't do any law ones. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Asuki

HSC
The program structure for commerce/ecoconomics has changed considerably since last year. For one ECON1202 used to be a pre-requisite for ECON1203 and like others have mentioned, the content of the two courses barely have anything in common.

Don't worry about gened until at least the second year. I find language courses to be a good gened option since they account for 6 UOC. But that could just be because I did a language for HSC so I find it easier ;)

ps. I have some textbooks listed for sale if you need. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)