need help in crime assesment due nxt week (1 Viewer)

anurag1.2005

HSC
Discuss the role of sentencing process in balancing the interests of the community with the right of the offender.

i dont have an idea what to talk about.

help

plz

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Think about it the sentencing process has to try to rehabilitate the offender but protect the community from the offender without harming the offender. As you can see it creates conflict and is a difficult balance to strike, talk about that

Kabbasi

HSC
anurag1.2005 said:
Discuss the role of sentencing process in balancing the interests of the community with the right of the offender.

i dont have an idea what to talk about.

help

plz
Talk about the Bilal Skaf case. Talk about Circle Sentencing. That's all I memorised in Legal Studies for Crime and I blitzed it.

Specifically in this case you have to outline the interests of the community (i.e. social order, retribution for criminal activity, putting the bad guy 'behind bars' to avoid recidivism in the offender) and the rights of the criminal (to a fair trial, to have interviews electronically recorded, right to appeal).

I strongly suggest that you read the transcripts of the appeal for the Bilal Skaf cases as you will find it extremely interesting and relevant. The basic summary is that some jury members on Skafs' trial breached the law and their impartiality of the case. As a result, Skaf was able to appeal - even though it went completely against the interests of the community. You could also talk about the original sentence given to Skaf which was an unprecedented amount of prison time for a rapist but it was in the community interests, as it was bought to attention around the time of September 11 and well...

Read about circle sentencing - that has some great things about how the interests of the community and the victim are acknowledged when punishing Indigenous [summary] offenders in rural areas.

/all your Crime study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)