Need help on Andy Goldsworthy and Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

Manuel_II

HSC
Is Goldsworthy a good artist to use for a Postmodern Frame essay? I'm having trouble elaborating on how his artworks challenge the mainstream (all I know is that he is concerned with the environment and uses natural and found materials to create his sculptures).

cerys

because i can.
HSC
I would say yes.

You can talk about:

* How his works challenge the traditional notion of art being displayed solely in the art gallery and being a sort of 'permanent' thing that is materialistic and can be bought and sold - alot of his works are temporary and change/get destroyed in nature, are made and located in the NATURAL environment not a gallery.

* As he is concerned with the environment, you can see how the role of the artist has also developed - he is not only an artist that solely creates art in the pleasure of it, but to some extent, takes the role of an environmentalist as he uses nature and art together to outline something (harhar, i used this in my art trials essay:E)

* Similar to what you mentioned, he doesn't use traditional materials associated with art (canvas, oils, acrylic paints etc) - he uses natural materials that are most often natural or local to the place he makes his works in.

(Also include examples of his works that convey these points... Or something *shrugs*)

I'm sure if you dig around the net and look into some of the books about Andy Goldsworthy you could find some more good/relevant information.

Last edited:

Manuel_II

HSC
Does this look like a good answer?

Andy Goldsworthy is an environmental artist who is mainly concerned with the natural world. His artworks can be analyzed through the Postmodern Frame; he uses natural and found materials such as leaves, sticks, rocks and spit to form his sculptures and challenges the notion of the art object as permanent and valuable. He also documents his works through photography, a non-traditional art medium, due to their transitory nature. He intends to amuse the audience and question their use of the environment.
One of his artworks, "Midsummer Snowballs" (2000), consists of thirteen gigantic snowball sculptures formed out of concealed pieces of natural materials, including river pebbles, ears of barley and feathers. Goldsworthy challenges the art institutions by displaying each of his sculptures outside in different public areas throughout London during the summer seasons. He also challenges the permanence of the art object, as some of these snowballs took as long as six days to melt. Many by passers took notice of the sculpture and couldn’t help but be amazed by its existence as they gazed and touched the snowball during its exhibition. Through this sculpture, Goldsworthy presents a unique confrontation between the wilderness and the city – snowballs made in the Scottish winter brought to the city of London during the summertime.
"Iris Blades" (1987) is an artwork made of iris blades pinned together with thorns, with five sections filled with rowan berries. This is a good example of how the transient nature of Goldsworthy’s works challenges the notion of the art object as permanent; the artwork was created on a lake surface, where Goldsworthy had to face competition from ducks and fish attempting to nibble the artwork. Goldsworthy simply rearranged the natural elements in subtle ways without the need for utensils, yet the effect was startling. The artwork also exemplifies Goldsworthy’s interest in the intensity of colour to be found in nature. He is interested in the tightness and regularity of nature as well as the loose and disorderly.

Any mistakes that need to be corrected?

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Its good, but I think you need to link it back to the postmodern frame more, unless you want it to be very general so you can sorta change it around/add stuff in the exam.

You could maybe emphasise the fact that the audience is able to interact with Goldsworthy's 'Midsummer Snowballs' (rather than just saying that the passers-by touched them). Maybe you could also mention how this piece causes the audience to be more aware of nature and the environment and the fact it is transient (and perhaps, heightening the fact we need to look after it). The way the audience is able to interact physically with the snowballs and the other aspects of the piece exemplifies the postmodern aspects of the work. (Should prolly explain more but my brain is fried.)

"Goldsworthy simply rearranged the natural elements in subtle ways without the need for utensils, yet the effect was startling" - what effect? maybe include something brief to describe it or the reasons that makes it 'startling'.

I'm prolly being a little nit-picky and incoherent D:

Well I hope I've helped you out somehow! Enough computer for me today... My eyes hurts... I should prolly get studying myself...

fallingstar

HSC
Does this look like a good answer?

Andy Goldsworthy is an environmental artist who is mainly concerned with the natural world. His artworks can be analyzed through the Postmodern Frame; he uses natural and found materials such as leaves, sticks, rocks and spit to form his sculptures and challenges the notion of the art object as permanent and valuable. He also documents his works through photography, a non-traditional art medium, due to their transitory nature. He intends to amuse the audience and question their use of the environment.
One of his artworks, "Midsummer Snowballs" (2000), consists of thirteen gigantic snowball sculptures formed out of concealed pieces of natural materials, including river pebbles, ears of barley and feathers. Goldsworthy challenges the art institutions by displaying each of his sculptures outside in different public areas throughout London during the summer seasons. He also challenges the permanence of the art object, as some of these snowballs took as long as six days to melt. Many by passers took notice of the sculpture and couldn’t help but be amazed by its existence as they gazed and touched the snowball during its exhibition. Through this sculpture, Goldsworthy presents a unique confrontation between the wilderness and the city – snowballs made in the Scottish winter brought to the city of London during the summertime.
"Iris Blades" (1987) is an artwork made of iris blades pinned together with thorns, with five sections filled with rowan berries. This is a good example of how the transient nature of Goldsworthy’s works challenges the notion of the art object as permanent; the artwork was created on a lake surface, where Goldsworthy had to face competition from ducks and fish attempting to nibble the artwork. Goldsworthy simply rearranged the natural elements in subtle ways without the need for utensils, yet the effect was startling. The artwork also exemplifies Goldsworthy’s interest in the intensity of colour to be found in nature. He is interested in the tightness and regularity of nature as well as the loose and disorderly.

Any mistakes that need to be corrected?
haha i can see you've pulled your info from "senior artwise" textbook ay? nothing wrong with that though, thats what the textbook is for of course.

Goldsworthy is an ART GENIUS
he is amazinggggggg
and yeah all that stuff you've said is correct; he definately can be considered through the postmodern frame.

love love love love goldsworthy

Manuel_II

HSC
haha i can see you've pulled your info from "senior artwise" textbook ay? nothing wrong with that though, thats what the textbook is for of course.

Goldsworthy is an ART GENIUS
he is amazinggggggg
and yeah all that stuff you've said is correct; he definately can be considered through the postmodern frame.

love love love love goldsworthy
Ok yea I'll admit it, I got it from the textbook :rolleyes: I know I shouldn't plagiarise and all (that and "teh Haitch Es See iz nawt a memerizing test" ¬_¬), but I just can't seem to come up with anything of my own, especially when compared to you people. :(

fallingstar

HSC
its a good book isn't it?
but seriously, thats what its there for. for you to learn from, which you seem keen to do. just put it into your own words, and you can still use all the points you've learnt

ps. don't put yourself down. chin up, 'k?

C-BAS

HSC
Personally I would not focus on JUST the postmodern frame. More so break up your speciality into either:
1. Frames (and be ready to talk about any/all four of subjective, structural, cultural and/or postmodern)
2. Conceptual framework (again be able to talk about artist, artwork, audience and/or world)
3. Artist practice (and talk about everything that comes along with it, so influences, processes etc.)

JMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)