Need help, URGENT maths question: (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How would you do such questions? Because usually, the width of your partitions is the same, so you can factor that out, and all you're usually left with is a summation which can be easily figured out using standard arithmetic progression formulas, or formulas of summing the first n squares, cubes etc...That doesn't seem to be the case here...
We would go to the general formula. The nth partial Riemann sum formula is:

where

HSC
I'm somehow struggling with Riemann sums and Riemann Integrals, so if you could provide a general approach when solving such questions by solving this one, that would be great...I understand the concept and I get the formula, just need a rigorous approach for such questions...

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The thing is that I'm somehow struggling with Riemann sums and Riemann Integrals, so if you could provide a general approach when solving such questions by solving this one, that would be great...I understand the concept and I get the formula, just need a rigorous approach for such questions...
What have you gotten up to using my previous post?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

How would you rearrange this to get [2^(j+1)-1]/n ? I'm stumped lol
The Riemann Sum doesn't get rearranged to the answer, it gets to the final answer by taking a limit as n -> oo.

Also, the final answer would have (j+1) on the denominator, not n (remember, n is nothing in the end, it goes away when taking the limit to infinity).

HSC
The Riemann Sum doesn't get rearranged to the answer, it gets to the final answer by taking a limit as n -> oo.

Also, the final answer would have (j+1) on the denominator, not n (remember, n is nothing in the end, it goes away when taking the limit to infinity).
Sorry, I don't understand it. That's alright, I'll just ask my tutor. Thanks anyway :)

Meanwhile, I've another question:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I don't understand it. That's alright, I'll just ask my tutor. Thanks anyway :)

Meanwhile, I've another question:
It converges iff p > 1.

To see this, note that if you transform the integral by using a substitution of u = ln x, it becomes a regular "p-integral", which converges iff p > 1.

Last edited:

HSC
It converges iff p ≥ 1.

To see this, note that if you transform the integral by using a substitution of u = ln x, it becomes a regular "p-integral", which converges iff p ≥ 1.
Oh right, so when p>1, this integral would converge according to the p-test... But how would you account for the limits, isn't it a condition of the p-test to have the lower limit to be 1 and upper limit to be infinity. I guess I could just say it doesn't matter if you start taking area from right of 1 or right of 2 because area under the curve 1/x is infinite either way.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Oh right, so when p>1, this integral would converge according to the p-test... But how would you account for the limits, isn't it a condition of the p-test to have the lower limit to be 1 and upper limit to be infinity. I guess I could just say it doesn't matter if you start taking area from right of 1 or right of 2 because area under the curve 1/x is infinite either way.
I think you can justify it since the lower limit will be ln2 < lne = 1
And we know that the integral from ln2 to 1 of the original integrand has a finite value so we can just split it up to the integral from ln2 to 1 of f(x) + integral from 1 to infty of f(x) and apply the p-test.

HSC
I think you can justify it since the lower limit will be ln2 < lne = 1
And we know that the integral from ln2 to 1 of the original integrand has a finite value so we can just split it up to the integral from ln2 to 1 of f(x) + integral from 1 to infty of f(x) and apply the p-test.
And when making the substitution, how would you account for the upper limit, do we just say:

As u = lnx, u-->infinity as x-->infinity so the upper limit of the integral after the substitution would be infinity

leehuan

HSC
Wrong, it does not converge when p=1.
I don't get it.

"It converges when p>1"

implies it does not converge when p=1
______

Edit: Wait, hang on IG why did you use ≥

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Oops sorry, I was using ≥ for something else at the time and had that in mind and wrote ≥ by mistake. It should just be >.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The lower limit (a finite one) doesn't matter for these improper integrals if the function doesn't have unusual behaviour at the lower limit (or somewhere in between that and a different lower lower limit) like a singularity there (i.e. as long as the function's integrable over the interval between two different finite lower limits, you can use either one and the convergence status for the improper integral to oo is unaffected). In particular if the function is continuous, then the convergence status of an improper integral from a to oo doesn't depend on the value of a (provided a is taken to be a real number in the domain and the function's domain extends to +oo).

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
And when making the substitution, how would you account for the upper limit, do we just say:

As u = lnx, u-->infinity as x-->infinity so the upper limit of the integral after the substitution would be infinity
Yeah.

leehuan

HSC
With the p-test btw, just in terms of the actual boundaries

When we were taught it, he demonstrated it with

Does it have to be 1, or can it be any value of a provided the function remains continuous?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)