need help urgently plzz (1 Viewer)

jebemti

HSC
hi

can anyone please help me in advising what aspects of an essay you should have when answering a question in king lear
my essay encompases 2 readings to king lear and 2 different stagings of the play...what else should the essay talk about im really confused

ive been told by my teacher i need more textual integrity can anyone plz explain what exactly this means

in a eng adv support document from BOS it says the following:

A focus on ‘readings’ of a text without a student’s personal engagement with and understanding of the text does not constitute a critical study of text, as required by this module.
what exactly does it mean by students personal engagement

Neha Sharma

HSC
well firstly, i think or well thats what we have been adviced to do,
focus on atleast 2 scenes from the play to support YOUR interpretation of the play. YOUR interpretation should be the basis of your response, which is based on your reading of the play and not the productions. That is meant by 'personal engagement'

Secondly, you must, refer to the productions, atleast 2, in your response. Now these productions can either be same as your interpretation or different. It doesn't really matter. See in the case they are different, you can support the fact that KING LEAR is a play that can be interpretated in several ways, and if they are the same, you can comment on how the composer has successfully captured, what you believe is the essence of the play.

However it is adviced that you have in your productions, at least one that is different from your interpretation, cause remember the whole idea of using the productions is to show that king lear can be interpretated in a variety of ways.

And lastly, Textual integrity, is like the themes, the structure, the language and its universal literary qualities. You can't really write ur essay without mentioning these. And remember it is essential that u mention these in respect to the play and NOT the productions. you only need basic tecniques for the productions.

Hope this helped.

jebemti

HSC
hey yeh that cleared up a few things thanks alot

but with the personal engagement how long should it be or what are you ment to say something along the lines of i think lear is a brilliant production which is open to many interpretations blah blah ..?? or are you ment to come up with your own interpretation...but like how can you come up with your own interpretation ( can i say that i think its a feminist reading or something??)

im really lost for this part .........

danish222

HSC
Like Neha Sharma said, your personal response/interpretation should be the basis of your essay. To come up with your interpretation a good place to start is to look at why you think the tragedy occured... there are several themes/motifs throughout the play to choose from. eg. power, justice, family, bonds, old vs new ways of thinking. And many others. You can draw from other readings of the play to develop your interpretation (like feminist etc) but put your own spin on it. To show/prove your reading of the play you must analyse in depth 2 scenes and perhaps follow a motif/character/theme/thread of imagery throughout the play. This will show textual integrity of your reading.

Then you can use 2 other productions/readings of the play to analyse in reference to your interpretation/reading/personal response. Say how these different interpretations complement or disagree with your reading and prove how- selection of scenes to include (additions/omissions) setting, characters emphasised etc.

Hope that made sense!

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)