need help with chemistry assessment!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

sam159

HSC
i need some help with a cehmistry assignment im doin
it is research task where we need to research the inductrial seperation of crude oil
the qestions are
1. Identify and describe the industrial separation of crude oil
Identify the property of the mixture used to gain this separation
Assess the effectiveness of the mixture used to gain this separation
4. identify products of the process and describe their uses
any help would be appreciated

smushieex

HSC
i'm pretty sure the first one's fractional distillation.

pillar

HSC
Yeah and the second question is difference in boiling points.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Industrial seperation process to seperate Crude oil is Fractional distillation which relies upon the difference in boiling and condensation points of the various hydrocarbonswhich make up the mixture. The crude oil is first put into a boiler/heater where it turns into a vapour. Then it enters a fractionating column (large steel towers consisting of trays at different heights) which get cooler as you go higher. As the vapour rises up it condenses on different trays depending upon its condensation points. The trays are drawn off and in this way different hydrocarbons of different lengths and different uses are seperated from the mixture of crude oil.
hope this helped

h3ll h0und

HSC
are there any wastes from fractional distillation of Crude oil? In my assignment i wrote there are no wastes because all of the hydrocarbons are used...even the heavier residues are used as asphalt. I know there are wastes from further refining processes and use of the hydrocarbons (such as combustion) but im not sure if there are any waste products from the actual process of fractioanl distillation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)