Need help with choosing uni for teaching!!! (1 Viewer)

exploding.soda

HSC
Im wondering which universtity to apply for and would like some feed back if you have gone to the uni and just some help on which one to pick.

I want to become a secondary english and drama teacher. (bachelor of arts / bachelor of education). Ive been looking at University of New South Wales and Notre Dame.

Please any comments or advice on which uni to go to or what other uni's you reccomend will be greatly appriciated

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I suggest you do that at somewhere that isnt UNSW.

I have just finished a BSc/BEd at UNSW. The school of Ed is the most dysfunctional, disorganized school in the whole university. And what they teach is total garbage. (I went to UNSW because they have a good maths department, but that does not apply in your case...)

HSC
I want to be an english and drama teacher too. I want to know what course I should do:
1. B Arts/M teaching
or
2. B Arts/Bachelor Education

what is the difference? (apart from 5 yrs study at Sydney uni for second one)
like, is Masters higher than Bachelor of Education?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Masters of Teaching is not a real masters degree. (UAC considers it the same as a bachelors degree for the purposes of admitting people into post-graduate degrees.)

It is pretty much the same as the old dip.e.d, it just takes longer (in some cases). So no, it is not really any better than a bachelor of education.

My belief is that you should do the shortest education degree that will qualify you to teach, because what you learn in education studies is basically a load of tosh anyway.

You should concentrate on the other part of your qualification - where you learn the knowledge that you are going to have to pass on to your students.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Iruka said:
Masters of Teaching is not a real masters degree. (UAC considers it the same as a bachelors degree for the purposes of admitting people into post-graduate degrees.)
yeah because uac is the one that decides what is considered masters and what isn't. :rolleyes:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Re: University of New South Wales OR Notre Dame

tbh I don't think many of us know about notre dame

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC

darkwolfzx said:
tbh I don't think many of us know about notre dame
Oh yes we do.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

exploding.soda said:
I want to become a secondary english and drama teacher. (bachelor of arts / bachelor of education). Ive been looking at University of New South Wales and Notre Dame.

What is your personal opinon on what uni I should go to?

UNSW probably has a wider range of subject choices. However I don't know much about Notre Dame but I don't think it is a big university - the subject choices could be limited.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

i have heard a lot of bad things about education at unsw. personally, if i had to make the choice i'd go to notre dame.

exploding.soda

HSC

thanks survivor30 and melanee. i think i will end up going to notre dame, its so much easier to get to as well vbmenu_register("postmenu_3713169", true);

HSC

Notre-Dame is not covered by CSP (HECS), that means you will have to pay the full fees.

That’s pretty much all I know…
Hii MATT :)

Iruka

HSC
N/A

I think you can get CSP places for some courses at Notre Dame (things like teaching and nursing).

You can always do the BA at one uni and the teaching qualification somewhere else. You don't have to do both degrees at the same uni.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

for degrees such as teaching, nursing and medicine it is possible to get a csp offer. however for the rest its dfee but dont be fooled, the cost of dfee is around about the same price as csp.

HSC

my neighbour goes to notre dame and he seems to love it.

that's about all i've got. :)

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC

if your gonna take advice dont take it from other 08ers because like they will only tell you "ive heard ....."

Lai

c a r p e . d i e m
HSC
Re: Notre Dame OR University of New South Wales

I say UNSW just for the fact people won't give the confused look o_O and ask "Where's that?"

Aside from the lack of recognition of its existence, NDU has good lecturers and tutorial tutors, and decent class sizes so people actually know you exist even when you say nothing. All I can say teaching is high quality.

HSC

But Notre Dame is Broadway's Yale!

0Jade0

HSC

Lai said:

Aside from the lack of recognition of its existence, NDU has good lecturers and tutorial tutors, and decent class sizes so people actually know you exist even when you say nothing. All I can say teaching is high quality.

+1
Anyway, more and more ppl know about ND. And really, does it matter?
Talking to people who do Teaching at ND and other unis (like UNSW) you get a lot more practical experience at ND.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)