Need help with maths (1 Viewer)

mahdi

HSC
Ok so maths ext 1 is assumed knowledge for engineering, and i only did 2unit and got a HSC mark of 91. Do i REALLY need to take the briding course? I feel fairly confident with my 2unit ability, but am i required to already know heaps of ext 1 stuff. The bridging course wouldnt hurt, but $340 is alot of cheese, so can anyone give me any addvice.

mahdi

HSC
I also did really well in Engineering Studies, so would this kind of cancel out the fact that i didnt do ext 1.

witide

HSC
It's a hard question to answer. In the end it just comes down to your ability to knuckle down and study. I did extension maths in school and failed half my first year of uni maths, whereas I know others who only did 2unit and got great marks.

Have you enrolled yet? It might be best if you talk to an undergrad advisor or someone who did 2unit and engineering.

LordPc

HSC
if you cant afford to pay 340 for a bridging course then you really cant afford to fail 1st year maths, which would require you to pay to do the course again, and the cost of repeating is more than 340

1st year eng maths is possible for a 2u student if they are motivated, and if failing is not an option, then id say you'd be pretty motivated to pass, so i think you'll be ok without the bridging course

mahdi

HSC
It's a hard question to answer. In the end it just comes down to your ability to knuckle down and study. I did extension maths in school and failed half my first year of uni maths, whereas I know others who only did 2unit and got great marks.

Have you enrolled yet? It might be best if you talk to an undergrad advisor or someone who did 2unit and engineering.
Hey yeah i have enrolled, and i spoke to some old professor about it. He said "definately do it, you have to do it, it will be the best decision you make", but im pretty sure he had just been told to make the uni some money, he didnt give me much advice.

However, i overheard another convo and a uni professor said "well there isnt alot of ext 1 stuff included (which ofcourse 2units wouldnt know). They say 3unit maths is assumed knowledge because you need to be able to work fast in maths and pick up concepts in a minimal amount of time, and most 2unit students just can work this fast"

Is this true? Is there not that much stuff from ext 1 in first year maths? If this is the case i think i will be fine because i am fairly fast at maths and think i would be able to keep up with ext 1 kids - that is ofcourse if i dont come to any blocks where i dont know whats going on, because i didnt learn the content in 2unit.

Please try answer those two questions, thnx heaps

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
You can try to find out what 3U topics you need to know, then find a tutor that can teach you all those topics for less than $340

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Hey yeah i have enrolled, and i spoke to some old professor about it. He said "definately do it, you have to do it, it will be the best decision you make", but im pretty sure he had just been told to make the uni some money, he didnt give me much advice.

However, i overheard another convo and a uni professor said "well there isnt alot of ext 1 stuff included (which ofcourse 2units wouldnt know). They say 3unit maths is assumed knowledge because you need to be able to work fast in maths and pick up concepts in a minimal amount of time, and most 2unit students just can work this fast"

Is this true? Is there not that much stuff from ext 1 in first year maths? If this is the case i think i will be fine because i am fairly fast at maths and think i would be able to keep up with ext 1 kids - that is ofcourse if i dont come to any blocks where i dont know whats going on, because i didnt learn the content in 2unit.

Please try answer those two questions, thnx heaps
Mah-deh - If you have any problems, you could always call me up homie. Either way, you're a clever kid and will be fine.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
The other option is to find out what topics are taught in ext 1, and go to that maths online site, where it gives you free basic topic tutorials.. study those for a couple of weeks, might be a good way to have a bit of background knowledge... Or borrow an EXT1 textbook from the library, and run through some of the topics there.. That's what I'm doing at the moment :)

mahdi

HSC
Hey thanks heaps, would anyone know where i can find what ext. 1 topics i should know

gurmies

Drover
HSC
For engineering, I would assume the entire ACPW section as well as integration by substitution. Combinatorics is quite redundant and as is circle geometry...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Anything to do with calculus is definitely a necessity. For Ext1 this means integration by substitution, integration involving squares of trigonometric functions, projectile motion and simple harmonic motion. You will also have to enter the realm of the Ext2 course including complex numbers, integration by parts and mechanics though I expect these would be given a more introductory treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)