Need help with my timetable! (2 Viewers)

HumanXJT

HSC
I'm trying to enroll into the "3640 - Electrical Engineering" undergraduates program for my first year session 1. Following the recommended program ENGG1000, MATH1131, PHYS1131, COMP1917 i had earlier successfully enrolled with "auto timetable".
But later I wanted to change the timetable and dropped the courses to reselect the classes but now it says:

"Error: The auto-timetable failed to schedule a valid timetable. Please remove any manually selected classes and try again"

How can I enroll into my course now since I can't make a timetable without clashes. Full regretting my attempt to redo the timetable now. :(
Also is there someone I can call from the uni to help me out.

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
First, don't use the auto timetable feature, it's absolute shit. It just throws subjects in anywhere and won't attempt to give you a good timetable, it'll just try make it work.

Plan your timetable using this http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/ - or do it manually to get the best timetable.

According to rectangles there are absolutely no issues with your timetable clash-wise. Just drop all your subjects, and start again, enrolling *manually* for each subject, picking times that match the timetable that Rectangles generates.

If you really must use the auto timetabler, just delete all the classes and then use it with a totally fresh timetable and it will work fine.

Matrob

HSC
Bit of a thread steal... But is it normal to have classes one after the other, leaving no time to get to the next one?
My current timetable has me doing this a lot.

TheStallion

HSC
Yeah perfectly normal, nobody will give a shit if you're late anyway, plus classes start at 5 past the hour and finish at 5 to the hour, so unless you're walking all the way across campus you still have plenty of time

stevey6404

HSC
First, don't use the auto timetable feature, it's absolute shit. It just throws subjects in anywhere and won't attempt to give you a good timetable, it'll just try make it work.

Plan your timetable using this http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/ - or do it manually to get the best timetable.

According to rectangles there are absolutely no issues with your timetable clash-wise. Just drop all your subjects, and start again, enrolling *manually* for each subject, picking times that match the timetable that Rectangles generates.

If you really must use the auto timetabler, just delete all the classes and then use it with a totally fresh timetable and it will work fine.

I believe Rectangle does not take into consideration classes that are full already and not available for choice.

I'm doing my friend's timetable too as she suddenly want it change (dropping to some lower level courses) and asked for help, and I put in her courses on rectangle to see if there's even a possibility that a valid schedule can be created and it did with over 1000 choices, but guess what, they didn't take into consideration classes that are full.

and I'm certain her phys1121 lab WILL collide with engg1000 lectures cause all the 3 given left over choices of Phys Lab on myUNSW collides with engg1000, and engg1000 lectures only have 1 choice.

So I just told her to contact UNSW to see if she can enrol in the full classes, which she should be able to, even if they're not on the enrolment page.

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
I believe Rectangle does not take into consideration classes that are full already and not available for choice.

I'm doing my friend's timetable too as she suddenly want it change (dropping to some lower level courses) and asked for help, and I put in her courses on rectangle to see if there's even a possibility that a valid schedule can be created and it did with over 1000 choices, but guess what, they didn't take into consideration classes that are full.

and I'm certain her phys1121 lab WILL collide with engg1000 lectures cause all the 3 given left over choices of Phys Lab on myUNSW collides with engg1000, and engg1000 lectures only have 1 choice.

So I just told her to contact UNSW to see if she can enrol in the full classes, which she should be able to, even if they're not on the enrolment page.
Derp first thing on the Rectangles options - "Include classes that are full"

It pulls availability from timetable.unsw.edu.au which always lags behind a bit, but it's as accurate as you'll get. If you want the best timetable possible though, disregard rectangles and go for manually doing it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Derp first thing on the Rectangles options - "Include classes that are full"

It pulls availability from timetable.unsw.edu.au which always lags behind a bit, but it's as accurate as you'll get. If you want the best timetable possible though, disregard rectangles and go for manually doing it.
Actually, it is incorrect. Even with the checkbox, it doesn't make a different. When you say "lags behind a bit", you mean by 3 weeks right?

Easiest way to check is to type in MATH1141, and it still gives the Monday Tutorial from 1-2. Going to the UNSW Class Timetables, the tutorial 2 of 2 is already full for Monday.

TheStallion

HSC
Yeah fuck you're right, it must lag behind heaps, either that or Rectangles has become a huge bitch again, I knew the guys that made it and they graduated last year, so $50 says it gets even worse now.

So yeah - manual timetabling all the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)