Need help with subject selection (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
So I'm currently doing Advanced Maths, Advanced English, Physics, Business Studies, Legal Studies and SLR (Sports, lifestyle recreation - which doesn't go towards my atar just a nice PE break in between classes).

I've been thinking of picking up extension 1 to help with physics and because math is my strong point, should I do it or will that be too much of a workload for me.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see a reason not to give Mathematics Extension 1 a try for year 11. While I dropped Mathematics Extension 1 and kept Mathematics Advanced at the end of year 11, I did this for 2 reasons:
  • I did not need to take this subject to supplement my knowledge in terms of my university studies. Mathematics Advanced was largely sufficient.
  • At some point, I found that the content became too difficult. Given the above reason, I thought it was not worth it to keep Mathematics Extension 1 and do my best to perform well in this subject despite its difficulty.
However, your case is obviously different to mine, especially since maths is your strong point. Because of this, it seems like you would enjoy taking Mathematics Extension 1.

While taking Mathematics Extension 1 concurrently with Physics may be beneficial in terms of your studies of Physics, it is not necessary to take a particular level of maths to ensure favourable results in Physics. Of course, with that being said, it wouldn't be bad to be able to capitalise on this slight advantage, particularly if you are good at maths.

If you find that the workload becomes overwhelming alongside the rest of your subjects, you can always drop Mathematics Extension 1 at the end of year 11.

I hope this helps! :D

Leadmen4y

HSC
don't do extension maths but a lot of the 4u kids in my school say it helps with physics, no reason not to pick up anything you're interested in year 11 tbh like jimmy said u can just always drop it

Last edited:

xibu34

HSC
I don't see a reason not to give Mathematics Extension 1 a try for year 11. While I dropped Mathematics Extension 1 and kept Mathematics Advanced at the end of year 11, I did this for 2 reasons:
  • I did not need to take this subject to supplement my knowledge in terms of my university studies. Mathematics Advanced was largely sufficient.
  • At some point, I found that the content became too difficult. Given the above reason, I thought it was not worth it to keep Mathematics Extension 1 and do my best to perform well in this subject despite its difficulty.
However, your case is obviously different to mine, especially since maths is your strong point. Because of this, it seems like you would enjoy taking Mathematics Extension 1.

While taking Mathematics Extension 1 concurrently with Physics may be beneficial in terms of your studies of Physics, it is not necessary to take a particular level of maths to ensure favourable results in Physics. Of course, with that being said, it wouldn't be bad to be able to capitalise on this slight advantage, particularly if you are good at maths.

If you find that the workload becomes overwhelming alongside the rest of your subjects, you can always drop Mathematics Extension 1 at the end of year 11.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try see if I can add it to my subject list. I will probably drop down from English advanced to standard if the workload becomes too heavy but its only 11 units which I think should be manageable.

Leadmen4y

HSC
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try see if I can add it to my subject list. I will probably drop down from English advanced to standard if the workload becomes too heavy but its only 11 units which I think should be manageable.
wouldn't recommend dropping from adv eng if u can cope, 2 units of english always counts towards your atar should prioritise it over your other subjects tbh

xibu34

HSC
don't do extension maths but a lot of the 4u kids in my school say it helps with physics, no reason not to pick up anything you're interested in year 11 tbh like jimmy said u just always drop it
Cheers, i'll keep this in mind !
wouldn't recommend dropping from adv eng if u can cope, 2 units of english always counts towards your atar should prioritise it over your other subjects tbh
Ok thanks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I don't know what SLR is all about. Bloody do Maths Ext 1 and if necessary, drop SLR!

5uckerberg

HSC
I don't know what SLR is all about. Bloody do Maths Ext 1 and if necessary, drop SLR!
SLR ah yes just learning about sports and human performance and stuff. Ah yes developing a healthy lifestyle. I can see Drongoski loves his STEM a lot and that is a very good thing to ingrain into students.

sab13562

HSC
I've dropped to standard, and tbh, as long as you get 90 percent and above, it'll scale really high regardless.

5uckerberg

HSC
I've dropped to standard, and tbh, as long as you get 90 percent and above, it'll scale really high regardless.
Every time there is a talk about what to do in Year 11 this is what it becomes, a debate on whether people should do more maths or less maths it always becomes a tug-of-war between Drongoski or other math enthusiasts and other Bored of Studies users who have done Standard maths. Always a big decision and it's one that should not be taken lightly.

Last edited:

sab13562

HSC
Every time there is a talk about what to do in Year 11 this is what it becomes, a debate on whether people should do more maths or less maths it always becomes a tug-of-war between Drongoski or other math enthusiasts and other Bored of Studies users who have done Standard maths. Always a big decision and it's one that should not be taken lightly.
I was talking about standard english lol, and no one's debating

5uckerberg

HSC
Okay I guess I chimed in with the wrong point but yes it is true having multiple perspectives does make it a good idea for the student to decide where they want to go for the next years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)