Need Help With Subjects (1 Viewer)

burningcold

HSC
Well there is a term remaining till I am in year 12:spzz: and need some guidance with my school work.

Fist or all I am doing the following subjects:
3u maths
Adv. Eng
Bio
Chem
Physics
Ancient History

And have the following questions:
1) I am looking to drop 3u math to 2u so I can focus fully on my science. I am getting good marks in my science's, and pretty good for my 2u but for my 3u I am getting 40%'s. As a career option I am also looking to peruse in the area of science and want an ATAR in the 90's but my school is not that great, ranked in the 230's. Will there be any harm in dropping 3u maths?

2) I am also finding Ancient History very boring. I think I will drop this as well to go full steam ahead with science. This will leave me with 10units. Is this a safe thing to do?

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. If you want to pursue science, you may or may not need mathematics. 2u is fine but if you want to dedicate time at university to mathematical study - 3u is very recommended, but if you can't get good marks in that - then just leave it. Also any ATAR is possible at any ranked school - just get good enough ranks to prop up your academic achievement.

2. Of course it's safe. I wouldn't recommend it, because things like say... open heart surgery - can derail an HSC. I think it's better to have 12 or more units 'just in case'. But if you don't like Ancient History, drop it.

burningcold

HSC
Well I definitely do want to pursue science and am more of a bio/chem guy that a physics guy. Is adv maths recommended at uni as a major or is standard good enough?

Also could you please explain by what you mean by open heart surgery derailing a hsc?

muzeikchun852

HSC
I think you should drop ancient first, and then see whether you improve in 3u maths. because the scaling will really work toward your advantage, even though there is little improvement.

burningcold

HSC
Are you sure? I mean my teacher has given me an n award warning because I was behind on my work.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Are you sure? I mean my teacher has given me an n award warning because I was behind on my work.
yeah. because dropping a subject will mean more free time to concentrate on other subject or simply just chill:) I find that out when I dropped two of my most theory-based subjects.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well I definitely do want to pursue science and am more of a bio/chem guy that a physics guy. Is adv maths recommended at uni as a major or is standard good enough?

Also could you please explain by what you mean by open heart surgery derailing a hsc?
Advanced Mathematics is not a major, it's just part of the name of the degree. An Adv. Maths person like myself has to do a maths major, one of statistics, applied or pure maths. Standard maths is good enough for you as a scientist - if I recall correctly, there's a special 'mathematics' class for science students. So probably just stick with 2u.

And when I say open heart surgery derailing an HSC, it's literal. As in, your heart surgeon says he wants you to have some heart surgery some time in the HSC year and you do it because he's your heart surgeon.

burningcold

HSC
yeah. because dropping a subject will mean more free time to concentrate on other subject or simply just chill:) I find that out when I dropped two of my most theory-based subjects.
Ok so I should try to hang onto 3u but if I drop it its still no biggie right?

Advanced Mathematics is not a major, it's just part of the name of the degree. An Adv. Maths person like myself has to do a maths major, one of statistics, applied or pure maths. Standard maths is good enough for you as a scientist - if I recall correctly, there's a special 'mathematics' class for science students. So probably just stick with 2u.
I'm confused :confused:, some say yay, some say nay :fish:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)