Need help with writing an essay for To Kill a Mockingbird? (1 Viewer)

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
Hi!
I have a test for English on Monday where we have to write an essay on an unseen topic. Our teacher gave us a practice question as prep but I have no idea how to approach it. The question is:
"An effective text makes sound use of characterisation and themes to convey the world around us"

What do I talk about??? The themes? The ideas??? I'm really confused!! >.<
What sort of arguments should I make???
AAAHHHH......ENGLISH IS SOOO HARD!!!!

anyways.... can you guys please help me with this??

Thanks!

bushyak

HSC
"An effective text makes sound use of characterisation and themes to convey the world around us"
So the 'text' they're talking about is To Kill a Mockingbird, and basically what the question wants you to do is explore the main themes of the novel / characters and how these send a message to the reader. Well, that's how I've interpreted it anyway.
When it comes to themes, there's plenty to choose from.
- The obvious one, the "mockingbird" theme. In the novel there are many characters who are depicted as "mockingbirds" (symbolically, of course). They are those who harm no-one yet their innocence is corrupted by Maycomb society.
- Racism and prejudice- For example, Tom Robinson is a symbolic 'mockingbird' because he suffers from the overtly racist society of Maycomb. There are obviously many more victims of prejudice in the novel but you'll have to look into that yourself.
- Social hierarchy - The Finches, The Ewell family etc.
When the question says "convey the world around us" I'm guessing it is referring to the co-existence of good and evil and human morality. So you could talk about how different characters are portrayed, their perspectives and how they see Maycomb society, their growth, how they change throughout the novel and most importantly how the novel is narrated- (through the eyes of young, innocent Scout Finch who is free of prejudice).
The practice question is pretty vague so it's up to you how you want to structure it. You could do one body on theme, the other two on characterisation, or vice- versa; whatever suits you best in answering the question.
Hope I helped. I enjoyed Mockingbird this year, it's a great novel with plenty of content and ideas to explore in essays etc.

spatula232

HSC
When I did this topic, the main themes I talked about were:
- Racism and Prejudice
- Good and Evil: e.g. Boo (completely good) and Bob Ewell (completely bad)
- Moral Education: Atticus' teachings to Jem and Scout. Important part near the end when Scout was going to squash the roly-poly bug and Jem stops her.
- Growing Up: Also "mockingbirds". How society destroys the innocence of Jem especially.

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
thanks for your help! I think I may know how to approach this question now! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)