Need info about ANU National Scholarship!! (1 Viewer)

bikapika

HSC
As a recent high school graduate whos very likely to attend ANU next year, I need you help!

Basicly ANU's scholarhips website does not tell us the UAI requirement for receiving its national scholarship($10k/annum mwah mwah) and I emailed them to ask about the average uai of those who receive it but they said IT DEPENDS.

They also told me that it varies between faculties i.e. the UAI for law faculty might be higher than the requirement for music faculty

As a result, its kind of hard for me to make decisions about my preferences.

Guys, if you are receiving this scholarship and/or you have friends who are recipients, please tell me their UAI/ENTRE .etc so I could guess my likehood of getting it (yes, guess T_T) im thinking about bachelor of economics/llb

Evilo

HSC
It gonna be high, i'd probably say at least 95 (for most subjects).

Any other students want to add anything?

bikapika

HSC
well of course above 95 the cut off for law is 95
the thing is, how high is it? like usyd high (99.95) or unsw high(99.90)?

Evilo

HSC
lol well in that case, if you're getting a UAI like that, then apply. All you have to do is fill out a form and try out, so i don't see why not.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I emailed them re: the NUS thing nigh on a year ago with a little more luck.

Apparently, their W.A. quota (the scholarships are partially distributed by state) ran down to an ENTER / UAI / TER of 99.70. Not sure if that gives you anything, but I imagine that with a 99.90+, you could probably write them an invoice here and now.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
over 99.3 I think.
my friend has got it and she does eco now.

bikapika

HSC
lol i cant get uai that high
i dont think i can get it anyway thx everyone for providing information

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I've just received one cracker of an early Christmas present - guess what?

Anyone else been offered one yet? BTW, I intend to accept and thus shall be seeing you at ANU next year!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
congrats!

yeah, i got one last year but in the second round offer after my friend turned it down to go to monash instead :D would've been at college with him had he stayed but i'm not really complaining, 10 grand a year is highly appreciated...

first round offers are usually 99.80+, then some get turned down obviously by people who got scholarships to other unis, so later round offers can go down to 99.65 and as low as 99.45 in some cases.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
Hm, I turned down Monash :D

It's all about the PhB, maaaan.
it sure is :cool: PhB = teh pwn.

what areas are you interested in studying at ANU? i can give you advice on subjects to choose, paths to follow etc. if you want.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
it sure is :cool: PhB = teh pwn.

what areas are you interested in studying at ANU? i can give you advice on subjects to choose, paths to follow etc. if you want.
Well, I'm going to be an Arts poof - so er yeah!

That said, I'll hopefully dig into a bit of maths and physics (read: as much as I can), but as far as my major goes: philosophy seems the go. Perhaps a bit of Latin / ancient Greek, but I have no experience in either so I'm a little undecided.

With any luck, I'll be doing the thing where I jaunt off to NUS (i.e. Singapore) for a while in mid-2nd year - to broaden my horizons and all that (plus I get more letters behind my name :D).

Um if doesn't bore you, could you tell how the PhB works in your case? I mean: AS units? The role of the your mentor? etc

Is it as much 'teh shizzle' as the ads make out?!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
Well, I'm going to be an Arts poof - so er yeah!

That said, I'll hopefully dig into a bit of maths and physics (read: as much as I can), but as far as my major goes: philosophy seems the go. Perhaps a bit of Latin / ancient Greek, but I have no experience in either so I'm a little undecided.

With any luck, I'll be doing the thing where I jaunt off to NUS (i.e. Singapore) for a while in mid-2nd year - to broaden my horizons and all that (plus I get more letters behind my name :D).

Um if doesn't bore you, could you tell how the PhB works in your case? I mean: AS units? The role of the your mentor? etc

Is it as much 'teh shizzle' as the ads make out?!
it is indeed teh shizzle. and i can tell you a bit about PhB Arts too cos one of my close friends at bruce (we'll be sharing a balcony next year :) ) does that. the point of your mentor is basically to guide you a bit. i've barely spoken to mine, lolz. but i haven't really needed him... basically their role is to give you advice on courses to take, paths to follow, as well as more particular advice in certain subjects etc if you need it and it's their specialty.
ASC = Advanced Studies Courses are what makes the PhB special. basically you have to do at least 6 ASCs over the first 3 years of the degree. they can either be stand-alone ASCs (that is, they count as a whole subject) or add-ons (they don't count as a subject at all, but are extra work to a subject you're already taking). that's for PhB science, i think it's slightly different for arts, not sure...
anyway, ASCs are basically advanced research into a topic that you normally wouldn't cover so early on in your academic career. for my maths stuff, that means i might study things that are usually graduate level. for arts, it might mean you do analysis of texts, concepts etc at a much greater level than in standard arts courses.
your ASC assessment will usually take place in the form of an essay. for a philosophy ASC, for example, you might do a reading course: your supervisor will give you several texts to read through, and at the end you write an essay or research paper on those texts or the concepts discussed in those texts. depending on what year you're in, and whether the ASC is a stand-alone or an add-on, that essay could be anywhere from 1500-10,000+ words.

as for subjects - i do recommend latin/ancient greek. the first year course is CLAS1001 - Traditional Grammar, which is just beginner's ancient greek and latin. after that it splits off, you choose which language (possibly both) that you study etc. i definitely recommend this course; i took it in my first semester, loved it. found it a bit of a bludge, mind you - it's extremely easy if you have a good memory and a decent understanding of grammar. i got 96 for the course despite getting smashed the night before the exam :cool: good times.

if you're interested in maths and philosophy, one course that is supposed to be very interesting is MATH1007 - Poetry of the Universe. basically it discusses mathematical ideas philosophically, and philosophical ideas mathematically. or something like that. quite a few of my friends did it in first semester and loved it. i'll be taking this course 1st semester 2008 :)

you can generally take quite a few courses outside of your discipline area, especially in your early years - i took 2 arts courses, 2 science courses in my first semester. later on though, you tend to concentrate on your major (if you have one...).

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
if you're interested in maths and philosophy, one course that is supposed to be very interesting is MATH1007 - Poetry of the Universe. basically it discusses mathematical ideas philosophically, and philosophical ideas mathematically. or something like that. quite a few of my friends did it in first semester and loved it. i'll be taking this course 1st semester 2008 :)
Dayal teaches it... he's a really cool guy. funny too (i had him for 1014)... everyone loved him :D

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
it is indeed teh shizzle. and i can tell you a bit about PhB Arts too cos one of my close friends at bruce (we'll be sharing a balcony next year :) ) does that. the point of your mentor is basically to guide you a bit. i've barely spoken to mine, lolz. but i haven't really needed him... basically their role is to give you advice on courses to take, paths to follow, as well as more particular advice in certain subjects etc if you need it and it's their specialty.
ASC = Advanced Studies Courses are what makes the PhB special. basically you have to do at least 6 ASCs over the first 3 years of the degree. they can either be stand-alone ASCs (that is, they count as a whole subject) or add-ons (they don't count as a subject at all, but are extra work to a subject you're already taking). that's for PhB science, i think it's slightly different for arts, not sure...
anyway, ASCs are basically advanced research into a topic that you normally wouldn't cover so early on in your academic career. for my maths stuff, that means i might study things that are usually graduate level. for arts, it might mean you do analysis of texts, concepts etc at a much greater level than in standard arts courses.
your ASC assessment will usually take place in the form of an essay. for a philosophy ASC, for example, you might do a reading course: your supervisor will give you several texts to read through, and at the end you write an essay or research paper on those texts or the concepts discussed in those texts. depending on what year you're in, and whether the ASC is a stand-alone or an add-on, that essay could be anywhere from 1500-10,000+ words.

as for subjects - i do recommend latin/ancient greek. the first year course is CLAS1001 - Traditional Grammar, which is just beginner's ancient greek and latin. after that it splits off, you choose which language (possibly both) that you study etc. i definitely recommend this course; i took it in my first semester, loved it. found it a bit of a bludge, mind you - it's extremely easy if you have a good memory and a decent understanding of grammar. i got 96 for the course despite getting smashed the night before the exam :cool: good times.

you can generally take quite a few courses outside of your discipline area, especially in your early years - i took 2 arts courses, 2 science courses in my first semester. later on though, you tend to concentrate on your major (if you have one...).
Shit, that is ace - as I expected, but still nice to hear it (and w/ detail).

Thank you!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
Dayal teaches it... he's a really cool guy. funny too (i had him for 1014)... everyone loved him :D
he taught it last year but i'm not certain if he'll be teaching it this year - apparently they might be getting someone in from the philosophy department to teach it. not sure if that's the case though...

either way i'll have dayal for MATH2405 at the very least :)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
Shit, that is ace - as I expected, but still nice to hear it (and w/ detail).

Thank you!
no worries :) feel free to ask if there's anything else that you're wondering about.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
no worries :) feel free to ask if there's anything else that you're wondering about.
I might as well take you up on this! Here goes:

i) This may seem silly, but is there anyway to zoom through the degree in just 3 / 3.5 years? Or would it be a little too hardcore?

ii) Are exchange trips possible? I mean, would there be someone at the other end willing to do the nonsense associated with the ASCs etc? Has anybody you known done it?

iii) A stab in the dark, but do you know anyone who has done the NUS (National University of Singapore) joint program thing? Just, you know, looking for the inside goss on whether it is worth it or not!

Thanks again!

Evilo

HSC
Although humphdogg would know more than me about this (so humph please also respond lol)....
i) Summer School, Winter School (if its available at your faculty), i know a chick who does 2nd year courses in her 1st year, and 3rd year courses in her second. I've done winter school courses, and its great.
ii) i think so. there are different uni depending on which course you are doing.Have a look at anu website
ii) I know a bloke (very well) from NUS who is doing the opposite (currently studies here). If you need any questions about the uni. But yeah its a diff situation cos hes nus on exchange here, not visa versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)