need job :( (1 Viewer)

Some_Guy

HSC
I had no idea getting a first job would be such a nightmare. I applied for coles myers back in year 11 and after that ridiculous group interview process i really didnt feel like working for coles anymore. So i basically forgot about getting a job till after the HSC.

Now uni has started and the situation is becoming kind of critical. I have applied to numurous places but they are all either not looking right now or not interested in people with no previous work experience.

So now i've come crawling back to coles myer :(. I aced the stupid online tests and have been waiting the past few weeks, but no contact. How long does it take till they call? or better yet, does anyone know any better jobs i can get with no experience??

Marky24

HSC
I filled an application week later online test another week Group interview , got it this tuesday .. hopefully it goes well :)

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
do the woolies applications... theres heaps of different jobs u can get with woolies and put down u can work whenever wherever- that will improve your chances

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
is your resume sexy?

write every single extra curricular activity that you have done that says something about you and how you would be in the workforce

eg

peer support
school leadership
participation in charity events
debating teams
referee or coach in sports
other activities that involved dedication, leadership or group involvement...

you said you're starting uni - most uni's have a casual work program, whether it be on campus, or third party vacancies that specifically want university students. Go to your uni website and have a look.

otherwise, just apply for every single job you see. If online, make sure you send a cover letter, where you bold (or at least make sure state) every single quality that they have asked for eg:

I have well-defined verbal and written communication skills, which are evident in my extra-curricular activities, such as public speaking and event management, as well as previous work experience. I have always been in a position to be well presented and responsible, such as previous front desk reception, waitperson, concert host, and student leadership.

good luck!

Some_Guy

HSC
well i didnt really do any extra curricular stuff. another question, if i just went up to my local Officeworks and handed a resume would they accept it or would they say that i have to go through the whole online test, group interview crap?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Some_Guy said:
well i didnt really do any extra curricular stuff. another question, if i just went up to my local Officeworks and handed a resume would they accept it or would they say that i have to go through the whole online test, group interview crap?
Not every workplace asks you to do an online test or a group interview. I don't think officeworks does, but there are people on this site that do. Try giving the user "Collin" a private message, asking how he got his job at officeworks...

Officeworks is a little high on the food chain if you don't have any experience or extra curricular activities.

There are plenty of jobs that do not require any experience, you just need to aim a little lower, eg Woolworths, The Reject Shop, McDonalds (according to my memory).

And a short word of advice, if you want to hand out resumes, make sure you ask for the manager, and speak to them first, before handing a resume in. That way they can but a face to the name, and have a general idea of your character. I think your character seems to be the only thing going for you if you don't have any experience.

What exactly are you writing on your resume? Just your education? What awards have you received? Write that you even did babysitting, anything that shows responsibility.....

Some_Guy

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
What exactly are you writing on your resume? Just your education? What awards have you received? Write that you even did babysitting, anything that shows responsibility.....
nothing comes to mind :(. got an example resume?

also i forgot how myers contacts you. Is it by email or by phone usually?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
The CML process can take quite a while, in all reality you may not hear from them until the middle of the year, when they're starting to look at who to hire for the Christmas season.

Also, to the person that said speak to the manager, its great in theory, but I know my store manager NEVER comes out of her office for that sort of thing.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Some_Guy said:
nothing comes to mind :(. got an example resume?

also i forgot how myers contacts you. Is it by email or by phone usually?
The layout is whack cuz I copy pasted it from a word document. But use the Word Wizard for a Resume to help yourself out...
i doubt itd do any help but

Education
2005 - Current
Sydney University – Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Sydney CBD
B Music (Composition)

1999 – 2004
Riverside Girls High School, Gladesville
2004 Higher School Certificate – Band 6 in 4 Unit English
(ie list your results. If they're not sexy, eg band 3, you can omit them)

Awards
• 2000 – Riverside High School Bronze Award
• 1999 – The Royal Life Saving Society Australia Certificate of Basic Resuscitation

(that last award is one that I got in year 7 when we did swimming shit - it shows a well rounded person etc)

Extra-Curricular
• 2005 - Concert Host for the Sydney Conservatorium of Music
• 2003 - 2004 - Student Representative Council Member
• 2002 - 2004 - School Debating Teams
• 2003 - Peer Support Leadership
• 2001 - Organising “Shave For A Cure” leukaemia charity

(I also use to have awards like for Australian Schools Science Competition, getting credit etc, but for the job I applied for, it wasn't relevant compared to other awards I've got). Maths etc would always do well.)

Interests
Organising events, public speaking, and computers.

(might not be true but something that's semi-true that says something about how you'll fit into the job perfectly because you're interested in the following etc)

I omitted my experience section which was after education because I feel it would not be any help to you.

~Stef

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
thnx :D. yea i dont have anything like that.. oh well hopefully ill get a call eventually. according to the myers career site:

Application details
Date applied: 26 March 2006 at 10:43am Current status: Under Consideration

bastards

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
For any younger kids on here...got a job young. Work at KFC or maccas - I haven't had any problems getting any jobs I've applied for since I left school (with the exception of Bathurst) which I can thank working as a teenager for - it gives you experience, confidence and the will to get a job outside of Fast Food ;)

Have you tried places like Maccas and what not? It's not glamorous, but if you really need work, why not? That, and it will give you experience.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
here's a copy of a resume i used for the last job i applied for and got... i attached a cover letter too of course

Some_Guy

HSC
White Rabbit said:
For any younger kids on here...got a job young. Work at KFC or maccas - I haven't had any problems getting any jobs I've applied for since I left school (with the exception of Bathurst) which I can thank working as a teenager for - it gives you experience, confidence and the will to get a job outside of Fast Food ;)

Have you tried places like Maccas and what not? It's not glamorous, but if you really need work, why not? That, and it will give you experience.
erg maccas :(, it just wouldnt work out. I havnt eaten at mcdonalds for over 3 years and i highly doubt i ever will again.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Mate, I figure if you really need work, then go and work at a fast food joint. If you don't wanna work at a place like that, then you don't really need money, you just want extra cash. Like I said, I spent about 4 or so years in fast food in high school, and because of that experience, I got work I enjoyed more so when I left school and worked fulltime. Now I'm doing what I really want to do, and I can partly thank recent jobs to that early experience it gave me not only working in general but also the interviews I went to aswell - Maccas interviews were nowhere near as intense as interviews I went for with Bankstown Hospital, or Area interviews with pannels and all for TENs in South East and South West areas (all of whom oftered me work btw) but it gives you an idea of what to do, how to act dress, the answers they're looking for extra. Apply for anything (within reason, of course) and even if you don't get work, you get Interview experience.

And get good referees! I have senior nursing staff and management within the Health system as my main refs and it's proven to work pretty well thus far ;)

Some_Guy

HSC
Hmm true. But are there any other fast foodish places besides McDonalds, KFC etc that would take someone with no experience.

I think next week ill hand out resumes in the local area. Problem is its mostly cafes and stuff that definetely requires experience.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Either way mate, good luck. Could always try the City or somewhere close to your Uni.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
try and work at hungry jacks near townhall, they open 24 hours so it should be quite easy to get the hours that you're available.
work like after midnight, fast food places usually pay extra when u work between 00:00-06:00 or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)