Need MEGA help on whether or not to drop it! (1 Viewer)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
this is my situation:

--i have a short story which is looking more and more like a novel every day;
--my teacher isnt giving me the best of marks in extension 1 and 2 (just fail and just pass in my assessments); and
--let's just say he hasn't placed me in the list he'd invite on his birthday

i am doing 13 units and i am stuck with dropping these two subjects or legal studies.

By the way, i just got the result for a legal studies topic exam, and bearing in mind that i dont have the text book yet, i got an 83% and came 4th.

J

jhakka

If you feel like your teacher has something against you, perhaps you should talk to him about it. Or go to someone higher up (head teacher, deputies, etc).

If you're confident with your 11 units and you genuinely dislike the course, then drop it. If you enjoy the course then stick with it and develop some serious editing skills.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I agree with Justin. If the subject (the teacher, the circumstances, etc) is distressing you, it's not worth wasting yourself with it. But if you really love writing, then you can only stick to it and do your best, despite the teachers attitude. This subject is for YOU, not the teacher; all your work is for YOU. The teacher may have some power over the internal assessments, but the Major Work is of your own making. I nonetheless believe that you must consider the parameters set by the Board of Studies for the Short Story - word limit, etc. You can do your best to present your ideas in the most palatable way.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Both what jhakka and goldendawn has said is very true. If you feel that your calling lies with Extension 2 then it is a great subject to do.

If I were in your cirumstances, I would probably drop it because the odds are stacked against you:

your struggling with both Extensions, you don't like your teacher and your other subject is doing much better.

Additionally if you drop it, you can devote more time to extra study to the subjects you like. Oh, and its good that you have 11 units because its always best to have a back up.

hello99999

HSC
unless you're one of those english freaks, legal will require a lot less stress and effort then ext. 1 + 2 english

you really shouldn't do ext. 2 english unless you are very passionate about english and really make a commitment to put a lot of time and effort into the subject. ext. 2 is about the only HSC subject where you can work really hard at it, get it approved by your teachers as good work, and STILL end up with BAD marks.

if i were you, i'd pick legal because it will probably be a lot less work, you don't have the stress of having to think creatively and not knowing how the markers will judge- it's a very 'textbook-based' subject and once you get used to writing essays the right way and including all the right information, you can't really go wrong.

i'm guessing that you're also probably considering that the englishes appear to scale higher than legal. this is probably true, but it's likely that if you put the same amount of time and effort into legal and both the englishes, your legal mark would probably end up higher in the first place, making the effect of scaling insignificant.

that's just my opinion though, it may not be relevant to you. ultimately, you just have to pick the subject/s which you believe you will be able to attain the highest marks in in the HSC.

another thing, have you considered just dropping down to ext. 1 and keeping legal as well?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
thanx guys

thanks, youre comments are very helpful. just to add a quick comment on my background of year 11 to reply to hello99999, i failed my ext1 yearly exam because of a problem of essay memory blocks, which believe it or not, doesnt occur during my writing of stories.

i think ill be dropping them both, if anyone has any point as to why i shouldnt im sure i could persuade him to let me pick them up, since i had originally dropped ext1 and mid term 4 he asked me in front of the class that i was welcome to join them both. i had been telling him how i wouldnt let him down in ext2 and he kept telling me how id let him down in ext1.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My ext 2 marks were always 7/15, ie, not past the halfway mark

I got E4

So never fear!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)