need some advice (1 Viewer)

Nasr.

HSC
K so i'm in yr 10 and ive finished everything and the summer holidays is coming up and i would like to try to study a bit to prepare for yr 11 is that a good idea and if so do you know were to start like sylabus ir something if so plz reply

astro

HSC
During the holidays read as many books as you can...
because in yr 11 and 12 you won't have time to....

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The only thing the syllabus is good for is passing the HSC. Have fun man and enjoy the holidays when you've got them and bum around heaps. Just remember when you start, especially for extension courses, to hit the ground running and not to let the work build up. Or do let that happen and be quick to learn and recover so that you don't do it again.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
shit man?! why spend one of your last real holidays studying. year 11 does nto count. if your doing maths extension, its your choice to study. however, don't study if your not going to do it. you can always briefly read up on all your subjects. i prefered not to. i also prefered not to study in year 11. and i didn't.

alien

HSC
Nasr. said:
K so i'm in yr 10 and ive finished everything and the summer holidays is coming up and i would like to try to study a bit to prepare for yr 11 is that a good idea and if so do you know were to start like sylabus ir something if so plz reply
use this as your last opportunity to have a break!!! hit the beaches, read, play ps2, skate, play guitar, whatever it is you do for fun do it now!!! because in a few months you will be wishing you did if you don't. seriously, no amount of work that you do now which you will cover later this year is worth the fun stuff you could do, which you will have no chance to do in a few months time mate

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I suggest that you ignore the people who say things like "take a break", at least to a certain extent.

Simply by asking about studying during the holidays you indicate you are not averse to the idea of either doing a lot of study, balancing study and fun, or even just doing a little study.

Whatever the case I do suggest you do at least a BIT of study.

Now, that may be hard depending on what subjects you do.

Whatever the case, you'll likely need to get a text book.

Mathematics, sciences, SDD are all good ones to do. For chem, grab conquering chem from the library, for SDD grab Sam Davis' book. For Maths... anything'll do, though I suggest Fitzpatrick. For maths do exercises, teach yourself. Quite simple and he easiest of the lot of them to "study" for. For the others, either simply read it or maybe summarise it. I would simply read it.

Oh, and yea, read your books. No time in year 11 or 12... not even for the set English texts.

Finally, remember that year 11 doesn't count, but it IS good practice.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
dont study in your holidays. at most have a read over the syllabus and get your head around the size of the courses and have a plan of attack for completing notes.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Mathematics, sciences, SDD are all good ones to do.
Just curious, how do you know that Nasr is doing all the sciences? Wishful thinking? ;)

If you are able to deal with it, then sure do a bit of work but I remain firm that you're better off starting relaxed, well rested and with a positive attitude.

If you feel the need to do something academic then find those things that interest you but aren't necesarily in the HSC course and read about them. It never hurts to read up on a new idea/concept. Learn about some emperor, quantum mechanics or Beethoven or something.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Reading up on quantum mechanics is always good. That's what I did in my year 10 Christmas holidays. And learnt some more Latin. Oh, and read some psych books, too.

It probably IS a better idea to do that rather than study. Unless it's maths. Read up on maths. :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Do you know much about the mathematics of quantum mechanics?

Nasr.

HSC
k thanx for you replies but i just got my certificate marks and i seriously wish i went better so i think i need the study but i dont know what books to get for some of the subjects i'm doing physics, biology , maths 2u and the others i know pretty wel but i just want to know so of the best or better books to get that can help me and im thinkin of replacin business wit chemistry wats ur opinions of chemistry ???

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
^ if you're doing physics and bio already, i strongly recommend you do chemistry as well.

those 2 subjects are both related to chem, and based on personal experience, you'd have some trouble understanding some of the concepts in biology if you don't do chemistry

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
firstly, school cert is full of crap and everybody at my school walked out after an hour because no one could be stuffed. meloncollie is right by saying you should chem if you are doing bio because all science relates back to chem.

otherwise, get drunk as much as you want to and dont do any work at all.

alien

HSC
Nasr. said:
k thanx for you replies but i just got my certificate marks and i seriously wish i went better so i think i need the study but i dont know what books to get for some of the subjects i'm doing physics, biology , maths 2u and the others i know pretty wel but i just want to know so of the best or better books to get that can help me and im thinkin of replacin business wit chemistry wats ur opinions of chemistry ???
the best way to make sure you do well next year is to actually do your homework and summarise work as you do it so when assessments come study is easy
and if you can pull the marks off in chemistry it will be really great for your uai etc. but chem is pretty hard, alot of people drop it at the end of year 11

Last edited:

j.u.l.i.e

oh c'mon
u have to realise that yr 11 doesnt count, but it doesnt mean u can fail everything esp if u wanna take up ext
some skools wont even let u attempt an extension course if u even remotely fail it
u dont need to read the syllabus first, just do all ur homework and make summaries as you go along.
dont stress out and don't do drugs =)

bridgett

betty's bitch
HSC
it doesnt really matter coz yr 11 doesnt count, but its good to develop a study plan so its easier to adapt to yr 12 ... if you go to the board of studies site www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au u can look at the syllabus's for the subjects u picked ... u could look up info on the net

v sia

HSC
Yeah .. its your last holiday , so i suggest to have as much fun as possible . You sound like a guy who doesnt leave his assessments to the last day and study often , so i say enjoy your 7 weeks ? 8 week holiday

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
regarding chem....

i say if you do the sciences, do em all.

bio is applied chem
chem is applied phys
phys is applied maths

so basically they are all interelated, with maths being the mother of them all.

i dont do bio because it seemed a bit fishy in year 10.

but chem is my second fav subject, its pretty hard, but if you have the right teacher, and you are interested, then definetely do it. much better than business. *nods*

Trev

stix
HSC
Sphyx said:
regarding chem....

i say if you do the sciences, do em all.

bio is applied chem
chem is applied phys
phys is applied maths

so basically they are all interelated, with maths being the mother of them all.

i dont do bio because it seemed a bit fishy in year 10.

but chem is my second fav subject, its pretty hard, but if you have the right teacher, and you are interested, then definetely do it. much better than business. *nods*
agreed business is a load of shit, tho chem isnt too much better :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)